Chester's vocals then and now

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Broman, May 11, 2014.

joshtrum

joshtrum Active Member

Well..this argument has been going on for years. It would be a bad lie to say that Chester's overall voice has not declined. He is getting older. However it's not because of the screaming. It's age. He still has range because some of the highest notes I've heard him hit without falsetto came on the messenger off of ATS. I can usually hit(pitch wise) most of LP's stuff. I sing in a band but it's pos alt. so my voice is clean. I still however love LP and singing along and I am a tenor and cannot hit without falsetto some of the notes in that song the way he does without using falsetto to do so. So he still has a great range. Now, you cannot judge one
    live performance to the other because some shows he will be more well rested to others, some shows he'll hit the notes and some he won't because he's not in a studio getting multiple tries to one line or two. He can still scream but chooses not to because he didn't want to be defined by that. This whole THP came out of a lack of high energy power rock in the mainstream. After streaming the entire album multiple times through iTunes you can tell he can still belt out powerful screams like on KTTK. And in regards to some of their older stuff having more energy or power back then compared to now, It's because he is not the hurt young man he used to be. Different things draw emotion from him now. As a singer who writes music, the stuff that draws most to your heart at the time is the stuff that gets the most emotion. Chester also said the need for THP came from the fact that they ended up standing around singing a lot of the music in recent shows because the music was more poppy with less energy. Basically, chester can sing just as well as he did back then, but not for prolonged periods of time which is why some music throughout their tours sounds better some days to the next. His range and power is still there, his range might even be better, just not the endurance and that comes with age.

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i understand your point, but i disagree, with part of it at least. about getting old, he is only 38, he is far from old, i know many singers way older than him and that sing in similar or even more demanding ways, like mike patton, that still have their voice in great shape, actually mike patton's peak vocally was around his mid-30s (1997-2006), now compare it with chester's peak that only lasted around 2 years (2006-2008), but his voice was fine until around 2011.
    chester's range is actually didn't change since Grey Daze, his highest studio notes are A4-D5, The Messenger tops at C5, he also hits C5s in others Grey Daze, Dead By Sunrise and LP songs. his highest live notes go up to G5 (in full voice) but only in a few ocasions he went higher than C#5 live. so his range is still the same, at least the confort zone notes (up to C5), but i doubt he could hit anything higher than E5 nowadays.
    the problem is that its getting harder and harder for him to hit notes that he is used to, specially live. i think his voice now is worse than it should be, the Setlists prove that his voice is getting weaker faster now, since ~2010 his voice got a lot worse. he just cant sing songs like Crawling, No More Sorrow, Lying From You, New Divide, From The Inside and some others live properly.
    His screams are not the problem, they arent bad for his voice, if he do them the right way, its his bad clean singing technique that is damaging his voice, his screams are also not as good as before, but they are still pretty good, he stopped screaming all the time as we all know because he wanted to, not because he cant. and avoiding screams live is completely fine, to protect his voice. his clean singing is that is going downhill quicker now.

i posted this in another topic (about his vocals on hunting party, and how he would sing the new songs live):

cloudscream

cloudscream Static

You might think Chester's voice has changed (declined) but it's not. It's probably because of the double-tracking of the vocals in HT and Meteora which is absent most of the time post-Meteora.

DeleLP

DeleLP Member

He can still scream pretty good, but his clean voice is getting worse imo or he is just saving his voice for download. U can check on RaR 2014 the way he sings crawling is pretty bad for me but when he sang given up u could clearly see he can hit the high notes like earlier, lets say he came pretty close to the preformance from 2012 at the telekom street gigs which is his best show from 2012 for me.

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

I feel like LP should consider trying a different style that will not strain Chester's vocals as much. Maybe have more songs with vocal melodies along the lines of "The Messenger" because it feels like Chester is hitting the same notes for different songs live where you would expect them to vary in terms of the vocal tone etc. Even better make songs influenced by what Chester did back when he was the singer in Grey Daze, since on those tracks he really showcases his vocal range and talent.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    outcastboy

he can still hit the notes, with a lot less power, but he clearly can hit the notes, he does a good job at notes like in Given Up, With You or in the extended outro to one step closer. but he fails at singing a whole line/chorus of highs, like crawling, no more sorrow, new divide, a light that never comes.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Honestly, the above videos really show the flaw in his technique live. He is jumping rope and singing the chorus with a great tone and rasp. You watch the actually show footage on the second video and it's much less impressive. I know there's something to be said about adrenaline and dealing with the rush of playing live but you can't tell me he didn't sound better rehearsing it versus when he actually had to perform it.

outcastboy

he did sounds better, actually on the first video he went a bit higher than he should, probably unintentional but still a cool thing. theres a lot of elements that make it harder to sound perfert live, singing for almost 2 hours fucks up your voice each night, naturally, but it gets better quickly, unless you are doing something wrong, like is chester's case. WAK was one of the first songs of the set, so being tired is not a reason not to sound good.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

I think that CB is definitely the most talented vocalist of all time, but I thought he was the best in both 1994 (Grey Daze) and 2003. I realize that he wasn't on key sometimes (I actually like that for some reason, makes it feel more live I guess), but he had so much power and raw emotion. I still like him, but I feel like his voice is just a bit too high now :/

limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

whoops, double post

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

:huh:

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

I'm probably repeating something that has already been said in this thread, but his clean vocals live are definitely better now than in, say, 2000-2001. That being said, some songs just do not sound good anymore. Those songs that require the more forceful, raspy vocals especially (Crawling especially comes to mind). The screaming does not seem to have diminished much in the live setting.

I have long thought that Crawling should either be removed completely from the setlists or played in an alternate way (i.e. Pushing Me Away (Piano Version).

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I hope Chester knows what he's doing when it comes to singing live. If what some of you have said about his techniques is true, he needs to realize that he can sing more effectively while still preserving his voice for later. I'm glad to see that all those years of screaming haven't really messed up his voice. As has been pointed out, age is going to be a huge factor in determining how he sounds years down the road. Of course, I wish the best of luck to the band and remain optimistic that they can continue to put out quality music. Perhaps Mike should let Chester have more freedom in his singing techniques if this is the only true solution to giving his voice more "oomph" again.

DarkWolf08

DarkWolf08 Well-Known Member

Chester is now better than in 2003 singing BY MYSELF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11x-xEkOQho
    what do you think guys??? it's awesome, before watching the video i was thinking im sure he won't scream like in 2003 and i was blown away!!!!

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Same. That performance was fucking great.

outcastboy

i'm amazed by how good he sounded in By Myself.

waiting for the official audio of the whole thing

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

You can see cameras on stage filming it.

Here's hoping of an official release.

outcastboy

they recorded in video too? i thought only the audio would be recorded and released

DeleLP

DeleLP Member

we want some hq ,d

20. BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

Well we are going to get the Pro Audio of the show eventually, but it would be cool if we got some video as well!