June 1, 2014 - Saint Petersburg, Russia

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, May 31, 2014.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Shit, I went back and listened and I can totally hear it now. The line "do what you say" is almost all the same note, same for the others.

Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

I only heard the autotune on chester in Guilty all the same, And I really thought it was a mistake because it sounded so bad. like it was still from the catalyst or something.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

The autotune thing really sucks. I've genuinely lost a ton of respect for the guys now.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Nah, Chester is still a versatile singer , IMO. I understand they're using auto-tune in small portion of songs in the set which is fine to me. Unless they're using Auto-tune in the whole set then that would be bad.

AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

Honestly, if you're 'losing a ton of respect' for the band for using autotune in a snippet of a song, you can't have had much for them in the first place. It's been obvious since the band started that there were numerous effects on Chester's voice, their aim is to put on a great show, and if that helps them do it, so be it. It's not like they're using autotune for every word on every song on every album, or every song at every gig. Chill out.

Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

This! :thumbsup:

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I don't think there's any shame in using Auto Tune if it still sounds like geniune singing, which it does in most cases with Chester. I'm just not a fan of using it in a live environment because it puts a singer's voice at the mercy of a plugin that's prone to making mistakes that are worse than what the singer would have made in the first place. There are still plenty of moments throughout the show where Chester's not perfectly on-key, so it's not like they're putting out the illusion that he's a pitch-perfect singer on every song. The two most noticeable spots in the set where I can hear Auto Tune being used are on GATS and the Ballad Medley.

For what it's worth, from the St. Petersburg videos I've seen, it sounds like they either fixed the Auto Tune scale on GATS so it won't pull those notes wrong anymore, or they're not using it on that part of the song anymore so it doesn't happen again.

Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if they're using auto tune on Iridescent's bridge when they are singing together? It's weird how it always sounds so perfect live.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

That's just a case of sampled vocals. The band, at least Mike, Phoenix, and Chester, do sing it every night, but the album vocals are much louder in the mix played live.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

The ebow messed up again. What's the deal?! Can he not just pick it? I'm not a guitar person so I'm not sure.

Linkinarmy

Linkinarmy Sins of our fathers LPA VIP

No one wants to admit it, buts its obvious chester voice is deteriorating. I kinda think the reason they started putting albums out more frequently is a result of this.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

That doesn't make sense.

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

they always used effects in studio, but using it live is just wrong, the only song that i dont bother hearing some kind of autotune live is the catalyst. but GATS is already very easy to sing, and in the studio version chester sound raw (bad in my opinion). it makes no sense using autotune in GATS. maybe chester's voice is at a worse shape than we imagine

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I didn't hear anything wrong with it this time...

*Edit* Nevermind, video I saw cut in after the guitar had already been playing for a few bars. Missed the mess-up at the very beginning. Sounds like he got the EBow working and stuck with it this time instead of tossing it and picking the part instead though. Must not be a dead battery thing, maybe Brad's just not used to using the thing and isn't getting it aligned with the string properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I honestly don't care. LP is one of the best live acts IMO so I don't care

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, there are a lot of backing vocals on playback. I was pretty shocked when I was first told this but I got over it

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Shit, I thought that screw up on GATS sounded kinda cool actually! Weird, but cool.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

GATS tonight sounded a million times better than it did at Rock in Rio...on all accounts.

No technically difficulties I picked up on, Chester sounded five thousand times better, and Brad's solo was much more coherent.

thor

thor Well-Known Member

I agree completely. I saw them live at the Staples Center in LA 2011, and they were amazing!