[VIDEO] Wastelands World Premiere At KFMA Day 2014

Discussion in 'News' started by Hybrid, May 25, 2014.

1. Dragondust

Dragondust Lingering distortion LPA VIP

Yep me too!

2. dontFindOutMe

dontFindOutMe Well-Known Member

That was so fucking rad..Loved it. It's kinda sad to see plethora of fans hating on this song. The very reason I joined this forum was to avoid the hate that the band used to get elsewhere on the net. It's kinda becoming the same here. If LP fans are themselves so critical of their work then what to expect from other people?.:(

3. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

This thread is weird. :lol: In the first 3 pages there are like 2 or 3 people in total who said they didn't like something about the track. Everyone/everything else was positive, and yet the entire thread turned into a "why do Linkin Park fans complain"-fest. People seem to be pretty positive about the song? I'm confused.

Derek, maybe you can clarify since you've heard the studio version, but in this live video the song starts off fast and with a different drum beat and then gradually slows down during the first verse. Was that just the band having a bit of difficulty with their first performance?

Also dat last chorus melody change-up. This is decent.

4. Deadlyeyes552

Deadlyeyes552 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing lol

5. zwieR.Z.

zwieR.Z. Well-Known Member

I don't really understand some of these negative comments since both UIG and Wastelands sound exactly as I expected after reading the fan 'reviews'. Catchy track, nice groove, reminds me of RATM. Love it.
    Also, The Hunting Party really shows how much Linkin Park fanbase changed after ATS. I remember TONS of negative comments after that album came out. Now you could think that it was band's most successful record.
    Anyway, I made an extended version of the preview in case if 1 minute is not enough for you: https://soundcloud.com/linkinpark-pl/linkin-park-wastelands-211-mix

6. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The intro with the fast drums isn't on the studio version at all. It's just them kind of mixing things up. As soon as those hard guitars hit and he did the first verse again, that was the actual song.

7. Dimitris "the Parker"

Dimitris "the Parker" "One For The Road"

Also lyrics are fucking genius,very well written !

8. Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

Did the studio version have those two "ugh!" growls that Chester did 0:18 and 0:24?

[video=youtube_share;_LH-CubXPpI]http://youtu.be/_LH-CubXPpI?t=17s[/video]

9. Mario007

Mario007 Well-Known Member

As can be seen from my post count I don't post on this site much, though I read it and this thread is exactly the reason why. I mean for fucks sake people, so someone doesn't like a song that the majority of the fanbase enjoys and we have to have 2 plus pages of people bitching about some guys daring not to like a song that Linkin Park puts out? I mean I know this is a dedicated fan website but seriously you do need to grow up and learn some people have different opinions to you and that's completely fine. No need to attack people or complain about them just because their opinion differs from yours. It's not like that's diminishing your enjoyment of the song, right?

Now I have been pretty disappointed with this album cycle. Prior to the interviews and Mike attacking other bands over not making proper 'rock' music I was kinda expecting LP to head the way the second half of LT was heading. So merging electronics and rock but also doing some super experimental songs like Until it Breaks, Roads Untravelled or Skin to Bone. Now when I heard they were going heavy,I was like "cool, didn't expect this but this is Linkin Park, you can never predict their next album". So I was on board.

Then Guilty All the Same dropped and it was...ok? I mean except for Rakim's verse there's not much to the song. It's a 5 and a half minute song that doesn't need to be 5 minutes at all as simply nothing too exciting happened in the song. Chester's singing on the verses was nice but the chorus was just bad. It felt like a song that was made to be heavy for the sake of being heavy. And LP have released heavier songs in the past too. I did like the little irony that Chester sings about someone who is preaching to people all the time, given that we got ATS and MTM which have some incredibly preachy songs. But overall a good song and like Catalyst I'm sure it'll grow on it. Though, as I've said that song lacked some sort of a spark or something to make it special.

Until It's Gone then...I actually enjoy the song for the atmosphere it creates. I agree the lyrics could use a lot of work. And I don't just mean repeating "You don't know what you got" but lines like "but something made me realise that I was wrong" are just awful. I mean how vague can you get? You might as well sing about "a thing that happened today with that person that made me sad and angry". Having said that some of the lyrics are quite awesome, the first two lines are a great play at the "You don't know what you got until it's gone" cliche and so is the "finding what you got sometimes, means finding it alone". Just kinda wish they'd swap around the "No you don't know what you got" for one or two lines, even just have that "it's your battle to be fought". Because the song is actually pretty nice (well apart from Brad's "solo").I mean it is a classic LP song of the ATS/LT era but I really enjoy the atmospheric sound to it and Chester's "whoah" sells it.

Now Wastelands. It's a Linkin Park song...and that's not a compliment. It sounds like a demo for Meteora or HT....probably Meteora since some HT demos are pretty damn amazing. It's the same Rap, Chorus, Rap, Chorus, Scream, Chorus sang in a softer voice, Chorus structure that can be found on both HT and Meteora. In fact it is pretty much the mirror image of Faint. The rap lyrics suck. I mean really. Mike really should get off whatever Kool Aid he's been drinking where he thinks he can trash talk in his lyrics to LP songs. I mean it was nice with WTCFM and it was an interesting spin on it in UIB but here it just comes across as tired and old. And I'm not saying that Mike can't do trash talk. Clearly by listening to the Skin to Bone remix he is fucking awesome at it. It's just not on this song. Also people comparing this song to WTCFM should maybe stop. WTCFM despite the trash talking lyrics was on a much higher level with the percussion, the vocals and then the breakdown with Chester.

Now from all three of these songs it just seems like LP is going back rather than going forward. I'm not saying that you should have an ATS all the time, but I mean look at songs like RU or UIB they were the evolution of the concepts they laid down with ATS. And rock is perfect for continuing this. Rock songs can take you somewhere and leave an impression, create an atmosphere like no other genre.I mean look at Avenge Sevenfold's self titled album as an example. They took their heavy rock and put out long songs that took you places, have decent lyrics (even if sometimes a bit too wordy) and incorporated lots of instruments into it all to make it really stand out. Instead 2 of the 3 songs released so far have done nothing like that. Metallica has been doing that for years, having long, heavy songs that feel like a journey. Instead what LP has given us so far is one song which is heavy but nothing happens, one Meteora wannabe and one atmospheric song with pretty bad lyrics.
    Also it's kinda sad seeing LP not being able to write a bridge to a song to save their life...or rather a different kind of a bridge. I mean Wastelands, as I've mentioned just immitates Faint in this regard, UIG has a solo that is anything but a good guitar solo and GATS...well they have Rakim to save the show.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Mateo

Mateo Name is Mateo. I tend to Over Think It.

I saw that Hit The Floor was trending in the US, and I was like nooo waayyyy, when I clicked it, I was sad. That's the conclusion of today's story time.

11. TheRadiance

TheRadiance Guardian

A bit underwhelmed honestly. I think Mike's parts are decent and the instrumental behind it is decent but the chorus is terrible.

Linkin Park creates the "hype train". If they didn't do 400 interviews, claim to reinvent rock as we know it, and tell us the record is "fucking crazy the whole time" then the fans would never assume that. Well, they probably would but that's because this fan base is a bit ridiculous.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  12. marcleo

marcleo Active Member

Damn I can't believe there is so much hate for this song and especially the band! I mean we just got a brand new song! plus 2 new live songs! and some of you still complain about the simplest things! I sometimes feel guilty for not supporting the band to much because I only bought 1 of their albums, not because it didnt want to buy the others, its just i couldn't. But when the opportunity came to see them live for the first time I bought 2 of the most expensive tickets I could buy just to help with feeling I had.

But honestly, I will never go to a point where I criticize so badly, I like every Linkin Park album and is really happy that these guys are still willing to make some amazing songs for us I mean they not youngsters anymore!

BTW does anyone have a link to a live video of Until its gone?

13. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

Watch this: Wastelands sounds better than the Catalyst.

14. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Notice a reoccurring pattern here? Decent verses and a nice instrumental, but along with them comes a very weak/lazy/loud chorus?

Anyways, I like it better than GATS, but then again I didn't really like GATS that much at all. UIG is still my favorite so far. Mike killed the track though, some of the best verses he has written in a while. I like the WTCFM like beat too, that was cool to hear. Not bad, but every chorus so far on this album has been very lazy to me. A fun song though, I can definitely see this being a single if they wanted.

15. Deadlyeyes552

Deadlyeyes552 Well-Known Member

Loved them since 03 still love them now,LP can do no wrong by me! im beyond excited to see this one live in the pit! The whole show (Just from the videos I have seen) seams like the band has taken their skills and placed them on 110% energetic as fuck! They will be wore out after this tour is over hahah

16. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

LT was an evolution towards more firecricker tracks. THP is an evolution towards a way more heavier sound. See, both evolution.

But not in the direction you want. This is the real problems : your musical tastes and expectations.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  17. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

In my opinion, LT was less of a record of firecrackers than it was described to be. The "firecrackers" were a regression in form in my eyes. The real "evolution" of that album were the folk-influenced tracks. If the entire album had that folk influence, it would have been much better.

18. NikoLpSoldier

NikoLpSoldier Daimonas

I hate a thousand suns imo it was the worst LP Album i forced myself to like it because i hated the Techno sounds, then i heard LT and i had hope again and the new Album is going to be their best.
    It is my opinion so dont argue

19. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Your opinion is wrong.

20. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

[youtube]5hfYJsQAhl0[/youtube]