Chester and Mike Discuss "The Hunting Party" - Part 1

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, May 15, 2014.

1. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Might listen to it in full tomorrow. On the other hand, I've been listening to Parachutes a lot, lately (I've neglected Coldplay's old music). Parachutes is fucking awesome, Spies being one of my favorites on the album.

2. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Well, then you should definitely check out ARoBttH again. It's basically a massively improved Parachutes (even though it has it's own unique sound). I'm not saying Parachutes is bad though, it's just one of their weakest efforts IMO.

BTW, Spies is really, really good. My favorite off of Parachutes is Trouble. I really dislike Sparks though.

3. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

^ Cannot stress this enough.

Also, for those interested, Coldplay thread is here.

4. leftshoe18

leftshoe18 Well-Known Member

They've had electronic elements in their music since Follow The Leader so it's hardly anything new.

5. rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

Semi-Random thought here, all of these bands/musicians would be considered pop as hell by every definition of the word when they were, well, most popular:

The Beach Boys
    The Beatles
    Jimi Hendrix
    The Who
    The Eagles
    Boston
    Queen
    Tom Petty
    Aerosmith

More modern ones:
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Green Day
    Blink -182
    Hootie and the Blowfish
    someone mentioned Goo Goo Dolls

Linkin Park and similar in the early 2000s

Honestly I think the only major difference between half of these bands and a group like Imagine Dragons is the time period. Lorde can pick up a guitar/guitar player or GTFO, but a lot of these groups fit into the same categories. Indie rock is to 2014 what punk/alternative was to 1984. New technology = massive changes in the music industry, both from a distribution and a writing point of view. With multitrack tape recorders in the hands of The Beatles or Brian Wilson, you got a massive shift in the way songs were recorded and the groundwork for basically all modern rock music. With electronic instruments you get the 80s. With digital recording you get LP and eventually a shit ton of EDM in the 00s. Shit happens... deal with it. The younger kids who listen to top 40 now will hate on heavy rock when it comes back in 10 years (music always cycles, and nostalgia always becomes a source of innovation once something is almost forgotten) the same way the children of the 90s hate on today's top 40.

It's kind of funny when you realize that Linkin Park's biggest influence and legacy on the music industry is Imagine Dragons and Co. LP helps bring EDM influences into the mainstream on top of a radio friendly rap and rock and everything else blend, only for their own fans (and apparently themselves) to hate the results. Look at the parts of Linkin Park's sound that weren't already in everyone's ears before they blew the face off of the radio with HT and Meteora 15 years ago.

Also, if a computer generated sound and a guitar are in the same register, fill the same place in a mix, have the same impact, and play the same notes... is the music really THAT different, or just superficially different? Look at BID: it's poppy yes but the fact that it uses a distorted synth bassline instead of rhythm guitars doesn't really change it THAT much in the end. Replace it with heavy powerchords and it's just a touch more "visceral" or whatever buzz word makes your serotonin hype generators all tingly today but it's the exact same damn song.

Take Skrillex out of that Korn song and put in a similar guitar part a la a heavy Tom Morello thing, and you have something halfway between Korn and Rage Against the Machine. In fact I would not be surprised if we get something really close to that on Drawbar.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  6. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I'm kinda disappointed that even UIG didn't do well in charts. It debuted in "Bubbling Under the hot 100" chart at 15 or something.

What numbers do you guys expect this album to have in the first week?

7. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

#1 all the way!

8. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

new song on a 24th?

9. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Lana Del Rey's "Ultraviolence" says hi.

Definitely do so. A Rush of Blood to the Head takes everything great about Parachutes and makes it bigger . There are some songs on the album that not everyone likes, particularly "A Whisper", but even that song I like. Clocks, Green Eyes, Politik, In My Place, Warning Sign (My personal favorite), A Rush of Blood to the Head, Amsterdam, and The Scientist are among some of my favorite Coldplay songs. This is coming from a person who originally didn't care for most of the album like you when I first heard it, but over time I began to love it and now I think it's a brilliant album. Really well-made. I think you'll like it upon giving it another listen, especially if you liked Parachutes and Ghost Stories.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  10. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

:isee:

11. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Heavy on the electronics, but I'd still consider this rock:

[video=youtube;FZyDiuzpHCg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyDiuzpHCg[/video]

12. xEsaul

xEsaul Well-Known Member

I think the best way to avoid as much of a leak as possible (though it'll obviously still be leaked), stream the album again similar to the last couple cycles (Gosh I remember when ATS streamed on Myspace). It gives people the option to enjoy a good quality version of their songs or to wait until the release.

13. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I will listen to the leak of course, but the thing that I'm trying to avoid are those 30 seconds previews... They just ruin the surprise.

14. Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

Someone said Coldplay is rock? I haven't heard many Coldplay songs but what's a good example of rock song from them?

IMO vocals too play a big part when deciding if a band/song is rock even when the instruments are really tame or even electronic.

Here's an easy example of 2 mainstream bands.

[video=youtube;C8Pz-_um9_o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Pz-_um9_o[/video] <- Still a rock song. No question about it. Is there anyone who actually disagrees?

[video=youtube;G2PakaClWaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2PakaClWaE[/video] <- No balls in any of these songs. Where are the elements that define any of the songs rock?

15. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Yep, this.

I didnt' listened to any of those 30 sec snippets with Living Things. I will definitely do the same here.

16. minuteforce

Have you listened to "Politik"? "Daylight"? "Violet Hill"? "Shiver"? "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face"?

I don't know how the hell you had a hard time finding a guitar-driven Coldplay song :huh:

EDIT: oh, most of the songs which I've just mentioned are featured in the video that you embedded. So, you know ... maybe you should learn rock is before claiming that Coldplay doesn't make rock songs.

17. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I'm not gonna comment on the sogs but a song does not need to e heavy or have "balls" to be rock

18. Orange Box Nerd

Orange Box Nerd Drop the Keys to the Kingdom

Tbh I think Coldplay was defiantly rock when they first started off, but after VLV they started to lose their touch a bit, and after I heard ghost stories I gotta say that Coldplay is losing their touch. And as for imagine dragons, i personally think they're a cross between rock and pop, that's all I gots to say about that :3

19. minuteforce

I wouldn't say that a departure from rock songs is, in and of itself, indicative of Coldplay "losing their touch".

20. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

In no way does "having balls," make something a rock song, nor does no having it make it not a rock song. That's just idiotic.

This song has balls. I guess it must be a Rock song!
    [video=youtube;_1xXYeNrW9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1xXYeNrW9k[/video]

So less Rock = Worse music? Okay buddy. (even though Viva la Vida is by all definitions a Rock Album).