Chester and Mike Discuss "The Hunting Party" - Part 1

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, May 15, 2014.

1. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

^THIS so much...

2. SeLDfC

SeLDfC Well-Known Member

maybe tommorow

3. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Look at all this optimisam.

Look at all this wrong.

4. thor

thor Well-Known Member

im doing the same. im "trying" to wait until June 17 and not listen to the leak and go buy the album instead from Target or WalMart and listen to it in the car. I wanna see what it feels like when I first hear Keys to the Kingdom full blast while driving.

5. The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

craaaazy.

6. Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

I sometimes compare the album cycle to the Sonic Cycle when it comes to the fan base for LP. Heck, I might just make an LP cycle one at the rate we keep going as a fanbase if we don't shape up lol. Ideally though what you said is really how it is, it can be compared to the Attitude Era vs the new "Reality Era" of WWE. It should be neutral. We shouldn't be so harsh, it's music! Let's just enjoy it.

I'll complain when I hear that they break up, or that Mike is just going to rap solo, Chester starts dissing the band.. etc etc. But that hasn't happened. In terms of sounds, I am content. LP is just an acquired taste. And now back to movies.

7. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

You know...the more I've listened to rock music lately, the more I'm beginning to not only see where Mike is coming from with his rants, but I'm also starting to agree with him. He may word his gripes in a way that has pissed off some of the people on here, but honestly? I'm getting pissed off at rock music myself. I just had the Billboard Awards in the background (because I wanted to see the Michael Jackson hologram) and 3 of the artists they called "Rock" for the "Top Rock Album" were not even remotely who I'd consider rock artists. They were POP. Not even "indie-pop" but pure POP. Yet because they were 'edgy' they're being called rock music.

It's ridiculous. Even when I attempt to listen to "rock" on Octane...I'm frustrated by how everything sounds the same. Every band sounds derivative of the band that came before it on the playlist, and hardly any of these bands are innovative anymore. I think it's why I like what I've heard from THP so much. It's not something new and completely groundbreaking for music, but it's sure as hell different than what passes for rock nowadays and a lot more edgier than most music on the radio.

Really hoping I get to review the whole thing soon. Can't come soon enough.

8. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I don't 100% agree with Mike (mainly he bashed one of my favorite bands, Imagine Dragons) but I also see where he is coming from. I take a look at the local alternative and Rock radio station from Washington, 107.7 The End. This station fell off so hard, its not even funny. While its still alright, its nothing like it used to be back in 2009 (the last really good year). Back in 2009, I could turn on the station and here these artists all consecutively in a row: Blink-182, Green Day, Disturbed, My Chemical Romance, Sublime, The Dirty Heads, The Offspring, Linkin Park, Smashing Pumpkins, Cage the Elephant, Silversun Pickups, MGMT, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Muse, Oasis, Lit, Sonic Youth, and the list goes on and on.

Nowadays I hear: Foster the People (traash IMO), The Black Keys (trash IMO), Wild Cub (not even Alternative or Rock), Fitz and the Tantrums, Future Isalnds, Tantrums, and a bunch of nobodies. Half of the stuff they play is barely alternative. A lot of it isnt even Rock. I talked to one of the DJs and he said "We are an alternative station who is ever growing and changing. But I do prefer songs with Guitars, so I understand you're complaints."

IF YOU AGREE ME WITH, WHY DON'T YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

They never play music that is guitar oriented pretty much and its not "rock." A lot of it is more electronica. I guess thats where Rock is headed. And im not bashing those bands who use those types of music, because I like music like that and some of the bands are really good but its not Rock music. If im listening to a Rock music station, I except better. I expect it to be as good as it once was. This station is alright now, but could be so much better. I expect Silversun Pickups to be played more often. I expect Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, Rise Against, Disturbed, and The Dirty Heads to still be played. Also another band I just thought of, Jimmy Eat World. Why not play them anymore? All these bands are still relevant and most of them are way more relevant than the unknown stuff they play thats not rock and barely even alternative? I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

THEY USED TO PLAY MACKLEMORE. While I used to listen to Macklemore, they played MAcklemore on a Rock/Alternative station. I don't care that he's from Seattle and you're from Seattle, that song slot could be used for something better thats actually rock such as Linkin Park or The Dirty Heads or the Deftones. Why play rap on a Rock/Alternative station? Again, I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  9. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

That is YOUR problem. Not music's problem. The gist of what your post said was "I wish my local rock station played music I like."

10. Blake

No, the gist of it was play music that is actually Rock/Alternative. Half the stuff they play isnt anywhere close to rock and some of it isnt even alternative like they say they play.

and I like I said, most of the bands I mentioned are still relevant and a lot of them are still making new music today, so why not play them?

Also, I meant that in that I expect it to be as good as 2009 was

11. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Sorry, but Foster The People, The Black Keys, Future Islands, and Fitz & The Tantrums ARE rock. You can think they are "trash" all you want. It doesn't mean you get to exclude them. Rock doesn't sound like it did in the mid-2000s, but that *always* happens. Music changes. Nu-metal was a thing, now it's not. Music like Disturbed and Linkin Park, as well as more pop punkish Blink/Green Day, were a thing, and now they aren't. Now it's lighter, more groove oriented stuff that takes its cues from funk or a little psychedelia. That doesn't mean rock is gone, it's just different and you don't like it as much. And that's fine, you're allowed to not like it. But claiming it's gone or something's wrong with it is what bitter people do who long for the good ol' days. I'm sure people who loved grunge declared that rock is dead when nu-metal hit.

As for the bands you listed that you preferred, Disturbed?? My Chemical Romance?? Those bands are defunct. Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Blink-182, Sublime, The Offspring, and Linkin Park? Those bands are way past their prime as far as popularity is concerned.

Your radio station played Macklemore. Yeah, that's out of place. But rock radio stations played Eminem singles back in the day too. This isn't anything new.

12. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

:popcorn:

13. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

This argument is bringing me back to a thought I had. Today, people complain that rock is too "soft". In prior decades, rock was described as "too loud", "devil-worshiping", "sexist", "emo", etc. I wonder if the people calling rock "soft" are the next generation of those who called rock "too loud".

14. Wayne7x

Wayne7x New Member

I love this post.

15. Blake

Well, I could sit here and argue what bands are and arent but FTP is not rock. Its Indie Pop. Maybe you can say its alternative but its definitely nowhere near rock. I could go in on the others as well.

But also a lot of the bands I mentioned, while also being more rock and alternative then bands they play now, are still making music and still more popular and recognizable then most of the bands played on the radio today. A lot of them still make music, why not play their new music? Whats wrong with playing some new Seether? new Offspring? new LP? new Green Day? new Jimmy Eat World? These bands are way more rock than most of the bands they play today. Why not play so of them? Maybe mix it up half and half or something.

and LP is way bigger than everyone being right now, even in todays age!

16. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Linkin Park wants to make a rock album that sounds like the rock they grew up listening to-a type of rock that isn't currently being produced in the mainstream. That is all Mike has been trying to say. There's not anything more to say, and it really shouldn't stir so much controversy.

17. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Blake is the reason why I don't like radio stations or people in general.

18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

19. EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Why are you looking for rock on the radio? Of all places you pick the radio? Might as well go, why does the radio play hit singles? Why does the radio only play popular music? Come on now

20. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

:facepalm: