What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 3.5 out of 5

Anyone who says this movie isn't bloated with elements is the kind of person who likes watching cheap CGI and stuff blow up.

The entire inclusion of Harry is beyond forced as the character's interaction with both Peter and Spider-Man are limited to his own perspective - I'm sorry, is this not The Amazing Spider-Man 2? So why is Marc Webb including this short film, The Not-So-Amazing Harry Osborn? Furthermore, DeHaan's iteration of Green Goblin gets the Raimi Venom treatment.

The inclusion of Harry/Green Goblin, Aleksei/Rhino, and all the pacing-ruining Sinister Six set-up insertions take away from this being a Spider-Man film. Then there's the fact that 50% of this film is Webb shining where he shines best - romantic comedies, but while that also takes away from this comic book movie, it makes for great film material.

There's no denying Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield have ridiculous chemistry - knowing a huge plot element that would happen in the film prior to going in (having read the comics) did not reduce any emotion I felt at the scene.

What you have to remember is that this is a comic book movie, not just a regular movie, so in order for it to work, you have to strike a balance between the source and the genre. This focuses more on the former and less on the latter, consequentially suffering from the disease that follows most of Marvel Studios' solo films - they're obvious fillers.

It's fun, and Stone and Garfield are great, but it's exhaustive, and it's not the best superhero movie you can see in theaters right now.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  2. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Godzilla, A-

SPOLIERS
    Monster scenes to human scenes ratio wasn't to my liking but I guess that made the monster parts that little bit more special
    RIP Heisenberg you left us too soon:(

3. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Godzilla

*Light spoilers*

It was definitely a good film. I'm a huge fan of the series and I liked it, it didn't exceed my expectations, but it didn't disappointed me ether. It's a solid film and definitely worth watching. If you're going solely for the monster battles you might be a bit disappointed, otherwise it's pretty good. I'm not getting the complaints on Aaron Johnson's character, I thought he acted fine, especially for the type of character he portrays. I wish Bryan Cranston had a larger role, he was undoubtedly the best character and actor there, I think he would've carried the film better than the rest. The battles are decent, but it seemed like every time there was a fight it'd cut back to the humans which irritated me a bit. There really isn't much of a story to it, but I can understand considering it's a giant monster movie. People aren't going to see it for the humans, they're going to see it for the monsters.

For those claiming there's very little of the big G, maybe so, but it adds to the build up and reveal, I think the amount of time he's in it is perfect. I never really felt like there were too little moments with the monsters, I thought it was fine. You actually kind of feel for the Mutos and even Godzilla himself, I felt like the monsters had the most character to them than most of the cast. While I thought the acting was good, the characters themselves just don't really have much to them, the monsters do though. All in all it's a solid film, as a whole I'd probably rate it a 7.5/10. Good but not great. It's your typical summer blockbuster, and I mean that in a good way. There are some dull moments, but the highlights of the movie make it all the more worth it. Go see it if it's your kind of movie, and even if you're not a fan of giant monsters it's still good fun and worth seeing with a group of friends.

Also, I saw it in 3D. Unless you're really into 3D, if I were you I'd just see the regular 2D version instead, or find an Imax screening. It really wasn't that impressive at all, you're better off just saving your money and seeing it in 2D.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  4. jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

Godzilla - 8/10

It's a solid monster movie but they put a little to much focus on the human side of it. The monster fights were excellent but should have gotten more screen time. Bryan Cranston's performance was another highlight of the movie but he didn't get much screen time either which surprised me since most of trailers seemed to portray him as the star of the movie. Overall I'd recommend this movie, it's a fun summer flick.

5. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Godzilla - 7.5/10

Aaron-Taylor Johnson's character isn't compelling as a lead, and only Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe stand out among all the cast, which is a shame since practically every major cast member in this movie is great in other films. The tension builds like Jaws, since Godzilla doesn't show up until over an hour into the movie. And when Godzilla battles the MUTOs, it's Christmas every day.

6. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Robinson Carusoe on Mars 10/10: I learned a few things watching this. One, Mars is totally breathable, but only for minute. Except for Monkeys. But then sometimes it doesn't matter. Two, Mars isn't actually Red. It's just on fire. Just all the time. Three, boiling rocks makes oxygen. If your ever in a pinch.

Way of the Dragon 8/10: Okay, the acting is terrible and it has the stereotypical overdubs. It doesn't change the fact that Bruce Lee is super human. There was one part where he faked a kick at chest height and then his foot was magically in the dudes face. Like its impossible to even see what happens without a slowing it down. Oh and then there was that part where he killed Chuck Norris like the bitch he is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  7. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Wait, why do I keep reading when I see the word "SPOILERS"? Ugh.

8. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Godzilla (2014) - 8.5/10

A very solid, very good monster movie. The performances were great, and the effects fantastic. One of the main complaints I've been seeing online is Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character, and performance. I found his performance fine, and was well suited for his character. I really don't understand the complaints against him. Though I wish there would have been a bit more of Godzilla, the movie was still very great, a definite recommendation. By the way, Bryan Cranston's performance, though I wish he was in the movie more, was FANTASTIC.

One of the things I noticed was how clever the marketing for this movie was. Some of the scenes shown in the trailers were edited from their movie counterparts, to very cleverly keeps some things under wraps, and that's awesome.

9. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Godzilla (2014) - 4 out of 5

Gareth Edwards aims for the whole "less is more" thing with his nevertheless respectful tribute to Godzilla, but that "less is more" drags in places and somehow even Bryan Cranston's Joe Brody feels underdeveloped, despite a great performance from Cranston. However, once Godzilla himself is on screen, he literally dominates, and you can't help but feel this surge of excitement when his face is first revealed. Despite the pacing issues, the film holds a new iteration of the nuclear power plant/radioactivity story we are familiar with and keeps you intrigued long enough to get your next 2 minutes of seeing the big green guy tear shit up.

10. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - 9.5/10

11. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Godzilla

8/10

Really great movie in my opinion, also not too much focus on godzilla (but it could be a little bit more). The Story was ok, but all in all it was good. I had fun watching this movie.

12. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Lolita (1962) - 3/5

13. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

X-Men: Days of Future Past

9/10

Probably ma favorite movie this year so far. Nice mix of action, drama and comedy.
    The only thing that bothered me is that some scenes looked like TV shows. I don't know if they were shot in 48fps or what, but it seemed weird.
    Also, Michael Fassbender is the man!

PS Stay after the closing credits ;)

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  14. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

X-Men: DOFP - 9/10 - Best X-Men movie since X2. That's all I need to say.

15. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Godzilla - 7/10

I was expecting to be immersed in that sense of utter dread, shock and awe that permeated throughout the footage in the initial teaser trailer. Unfortunately, it wasn't there and the film didn't work for me entirely. Regardless, it was hella-entertaining and a great ode to the Godzilla flicks of old.

16. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Godzilla (2014) - 3.5/5 - Really entertaining watch. The action sequences were absolutely perfect. I loved how they spliced the human-story with the monster fighting. It worked really well. Also, there were some really interesting direction choices which I loved. The human characters were my main gripe with the film. I thought Aaron Taylor-Johnson's acting was really wooden. But despite these flaws the film really delivers on action.

17. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

X-Men: Days of Future Past, B. better than i thought it would be, which is good.

18. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

The films are on par, if not better than the books, which makes them awesome.

19. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist - 7/10

An extremely earnest adaptation to the origin of the Hado pracitioners from the beloved 'Street Fighter' franchise. The vague history behind Ryu, Ken, Gouki and Gouken finally unfolds for audiences to see. Not without its faults, the camerawork is inconsistent, shifting from odd to beautifully shot stills. Extensively, the special effects are shoddy and the amount of training footage scattered throughout can become overbearing, even to the most seasoned Street Fighter fanatic. Despite its flaws, the essence of these characters are captured wholeheartedly. There are a lot of scenes that really hit home on an emotional level and the final result is a testament to the cast & crew's will and passion behind the production considering the uneven talent involved.

" Be strong.

As fast as the wind as quiet as the forest.

As daring as fire and immovable as the mountain."

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  20. jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

X-Men Days of Future Past - 10/10

This movie was fucking great, best X-Men movie so far. I actually doubt that Marvel Studios could make a better X-Men movie than this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.