Until It's Gone Review Thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by EastGhost, May 5, 2014.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

What bugs me is that they write hit songs and put no effort into promoting them.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I can't believe so many people enjoy this song. It's catchy, but come on:

I'm passed the point of praising everything the band does, and with that being said, these lyrics are just flat out not good. I understand that they need to release a radio friendly "pop" song, but that doesn't mean they need to give up quality lyrics. I'm disappointed and underwhelmed.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

That's the label's job, not the band's.

This is all for the label, if you ask me. The band probably doesn't care about the track a whole lot; Chester didn't sound all too enthusiastic about it on the premiere.

~

And yes, the lyrics suck, they're even worse than the "Guilty All the Same" songwriting. 'Cause finding what you've got sometimes means finding it alone is the sole decent line on the track.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

It's like What I've Done, except What I've Done is better in every way. Yet it's still my most favorite song they've done in recent memory. In fact, I'd go as far to say that I like it better than anything on LTs and ATS except for Waiting For The End (My favorite LP song) and maybe Roads Untraveled (but that might be a tie).

Yes, because how dare people enjoy a song without caring about the lyrics. I don't know, maybe some like the sound and style of the song, or maybe they like Chester's vocals and performance on it. I know I do, and the lyrics don't bother me in the slightest, but that's just me. I can see why people are complaining about the lyrics, they are weak, but I don't see how lyrics can hinder the enjoyment of a song as long as the singer is putting on a good performance and Chester sounds pretty good here.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

No, no, and no. Please don't let that "band not enthusiastic about it" thing start again, I've read it all too much during the Living Things cycle. I mean come on, that's the easiest way, when you're not fond of a song, to say "Oh, anyway the band itself doesn't like that shit [and were forced to do it]".

Especially with this cycle, the band has insisted so much on how they have a clear vision for the record, how they want to make a statement, how they decided to self-produce the record, etc. Obviously, the guys are very proud of those new songs and are super excited about them. It's ok if someone doesn't dig a song, but let's just put it as it is, your own opinion, whitout trying to make it the band's opinion too.

lime treacle

Oh come on. "Until It's Gone" can suck "BURN IT DOWN"'s dick, and BID is one of the weakest tracks from the eras you mentioned.

Chester, on the premiere, said (I'm paraphrasing): "...we realized we were basically writing pop songs. I don't want to write pop songs!"

Next thing you know, the new Linkin Park track is a pop song.

I'm not trying to make my own opinion the band's opinion. It was a conclusion based on the information that I have. I'm pretty sure Linkin Park are sick of all their greatest hits... imagine playing the same old songs at every show.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

yeah, but just lyrically :p

Qwerty19

And again, no, no, and no, and still no. I really don't agree at all with your opinions dude :lol:

lime treacle

You're all entitled to your opinions.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Burn It Down is just a What I've Done wanna be, but fails miserably. See, my opinion is the opposite of yours, but it doesn't mean ether of us are wrong. It's all a matter of opinion, and I respectfully disagree and think Burn It Down is dog shit compared to WID. But hey, it is what it is.

Qwerty19

I think the "pop song" bit refered to the sound of the music they were writing rather than to the format of it. We all know Mike was writing a lot of indie-pop stuff at the time, and then realized he didn't liked it. UIG is a pop song in the sense of radio-friendly, but soundwise it's like mid-rock / mid-pop. Which follows what Chester said when he gave in that with UIG, they still wanted to blend that heavier hard rock approach with pop sensibilities....

It will probably be one of the only track where they tried that btw.

lime treacle

I know it will be the only track to do this.

But whatever... I'm out of this convo now. I don't care enough about "Until It's Gone" to talk about it so much.

Qwerty19

^Was not trying to argue forever about it anyway, it's all good! :)

I just felt that it's unfair to say "the band don't really care about that track", but nevermind.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Why does every song have to have AWESOME LYRICS? JesusChrist you ever think it's about the music and the instrumentation first?

Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

I agree with this. But it might be because i'm not for the US. The message the lyrics give comes in deep for me at a personal level. It is a simple message, but the music and the atmosphere Until it's gone creates just makes it intense and emotional for me.

Sonic

Exactly. The message is simple and true, but cliché; You don't know what you got Until it's Gone. Why does everything have to always be so dynamic to be considered good?

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I admit "enjoy" might not have been the best word to use. I understand different people have different tastes and opinions, yadda yadda yadda...

BUT, I am surprised people are regarding this song so highly. To me, this song is on par with Burn It Down in every single way, except for Chester's enthusiasm in his singing. The melody is catchy, instrumental is good (still haven't heard the improved version with the better mix), but that doesn't change the fact that the chorus and breakdown of the song use one of the most redundant, cliche phrases in songwriting. Still, I'll be shouting the lyrics when I'm at the two LP shows that I already payed for and when I play the deluxe edition of the CD in my car, so does it really matter?

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Numb WISHES it was UIG.

Do wish it was a tad longer.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Agreed. This song is better than all of Meteora except maybe Breaking the Habbit

EDIT: UIG might end up my favorite on the record tbh.

20. Sonic

The song could have used a longer introduction and/or outro.