Wu-Tang Clan's One of a Kind Album

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Agent, May 8, 2014.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

[video=youtube;ABL5Elr16hc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABL5Elr16hc[/video]

So this new Wu album is pretty special. Once Upon A Time In Shaolin will be encased in a silver and nickel box crafted by British-Moroccan artist Yahya and will probably sell for millions of dollars.

However, before it is sold, the one-of-a-kind album will tour the world as many other famous pieces of art do, with stops at museums, galleries, and potentially music festivals. Fans will be charged a cost to attend a "listening event," where they'll get a chance to hear the album on headphones after being carefully screened for recording materials. There is already a $5 million bid from a potential buyer.

I think it's pretty innovative to showcase an album as a piece of art in this way. There's something really beautiful and special about it. But I also can't help but see the gimmicky nature of the whole thing. What do you think of this whole idea? Will it serve the purpose or whoever buys it will eventually put it out in the net through iTunes or something.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

It's a brilliant way to increase tour sales. I think it's pretty cool, even though it's real pretentious and gimmicky.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Something about this doesn't sit well with me... I mean, isn't art supposed to be discovered and judged by the people if it has value or not? If something is made specifically to be showcased in a museum, without the population and culture determining it's value on its own it just seems artificial and pretentious to me. If you are paying for the sole purpose to showcase this art, then it's meaning is deflated.

I'll have to think on this a bit.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Art is all about showcasing your work to everyone possible. To charge to listen to it defeats the whole purpose of it being "art" in the first place.

It's also real pretentious to assume your own work is art. Like you said, art is decided by the people, not just because you say it is. I could find value in my own shit and call it art. Doesn't mean it actually is.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Art is what whatever you want it to be. What they have done is try and create mystique around this album and it's totally worked. I can absolutely respect that. I mean, its already served its purpose really. Not to mention what they've done here is something thats never really been done before. So as much of a gimmick and cash grab as this might be, I still think there's something artful and unique about it.

Agent

I think the purpose of this is not just portraying the album as an 'art piece'. It's also a statement on how music is supposed to be listened to in a way. With music being at the tip of our fingers these days, people don't take time to appreciate the records they listen to as much they should (of course there are exceptions). With this internet boom, people jump from album to album without giving each the proper time and focus they deserve. I think it's a statement about that whole phenomenon as well.

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

Saw this on Kickstarter.

Agent

Wow did not see that coming. It's all quite beautiful in a way tbh.