Final stand (Of LP).

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by EastGhost, May 6, 2014.

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Do you think the band is wearing down? The new album hasn't come out yet so obviously I will save my judgment when it does but do you think this is the band's last chance to do something heavy and leave a big impression on the industry?

Cylock's post really made me think twice, no three or four times about the band and their career as a whole. As much as most of us hate Meteora I remember when the album ran the show and ruled the radio. I remember hearing "Lying From You" and wanting to fuck shit up. When I had that song on my Walkman I walked the streets waiting for someone to approach me like I was going to do something haha. Since then I realized the album isn't that great at all and the band reached their peak with their mood-swinging Minutes To Midnight aka "selling out identity crisis" to music critics. I thought they showed they can do some new stuff. A Thousand Suns has been a seesaw for me in terms of my opinion but lately it just doesn't excite me. A lot of it feels so forced. Even in Meeting of A Thousand Suns you can see them arguing like "no let's make it a long song let's make it unpredictable". None of their growth since 2007 seems like growth it seems forced.

Simple analogy; steroids can help you get bigger and stronger faster but if you work out and eat right naturally you can obtain your goals with better results and less side effects. Linkin Park injected some electronic steroids and turned into a computer band. No not a Pro Tools using force, but all of their songs felt so over edited and polished. The structures and amount of interludes felt so forced just to show the world that they can do something unexpected. Any band in the world could make an album left field if they wanted. It's just a matter of if you have the balls to do so. Living Things was basically their first four albums in a blender but the resulting smoothie just wasn't fresh enough. At first taste I was very excited but as I kept drinking and couldn't bare it and wanted something that tasted better.

Now the band is on the high horse talking about bringing back the heavier edge of rock that isn't present because like the radio and almost every Jimmy Kimmel concert performance, all you'll see and hear as an indie imitation of another band on skinny jeans singing pop songs with twinkling keys and dance beats. Derek has already said that the album is gonna be pretty heavy and non radio friendly from the other four tracks that he has heard and the band themselves have some pretty big stars on the album to help them complete the mission and get their message out, but for most people the band is already dead. Every time they release something new we go apeshit and people outside of the community go "another Lin..wait ANOTHER? They exist still?". This album could be their last chance at relevance to me, a lot of fans, and the world in general.

From a band that you'd hear their generic formulaic songs paired with a Naruto or DBZ fight video, to an identity crisis or taking themselves way too seriously, to now claiming they are bringing back ballsy, loud music, I'm starting to become bored. Every album has to have this huge hype story and similar phrases like genre busting, tools in the toolbox, visceral. This band does way too much talking and much more than their music does. I'm slowly becoming tired and annoyed of the band and I will stick around for this cycle to see if they are still worth clinging onto. If not, maybe, I'll peep LPUXIV just to hear some demos and stuff but honestly, this band is becoming less visceral than they claim, less out of the box, less victorious in sales and charts, but more cocky and full of themselves.

"I'm not a robot I'm not a monkey I will not dance even If the beat's funky"

"You don't know what you got oh you don't know what you got oh you don't know what you got, oh oh oh you don't know what you've got, oh you don't know what you've got, ho ho ho you don't know what you've got, la la la don't know what you've got until its goooooOOOoo break it back doooooOOown."

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

People are bitching way too much.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Nothing you've said is really wrong. I disagree with your opinion about A Thousand Suns and its interludes but if that's how you feel I can't tell you you're wrong.

But I don't think the band is wearing down at all. I think you just might be outgrowing the band. You know? How old were you when Meteora felt awesome? How old are you now? Tastes change.

I was 9-12 years old when I was blasting the first few albums. MTM came out when I was a freshman in high school and it was cool enough. ATS came out when I was a freshman in college. By that point, my musical taste was very un-Linkin Park, but ATS was a very un-Linkin Park album so I stuck with it. Then Living Things came out and I was confused. I thought the band was changing too, but ATS may have just been an anomaly. A moment where my taste/what the band was doing realigned for a bit, before un-aligning again.

The jury is still out on the next album. We'll know soon. I think the band is just doing what they've always done, and any change is occurring on your end. What music do you listen to now?

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Good response Xero. My musical taste is wild right now. Brody Dalle, Atmosphere, Innerpartysystem, Sum 41, Purity Ring, Crystal Castles, Nas, Jay Z, Kanye West, System Of A Down, The Clash, The Ramones, H.I.M, and a shitload of underground rap.

Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

Should've been having that approach post Meteora. You see my join date and my post count? You really think I am going to believe any of the crap they say these days? I learned long ago that Linkin Park is a business. You come in because you like purchasing it. Even if it's really shitty. It's like McDonalds or BK. I mean there's always Five Guys and your local Burger place that probably serves those AMAZING burgers that are juicier and beefier than what McDs or BK will ever provide.. but

You know damn well there's those days when you are just in the muthaf-ing mood to have yourself a fattning Whopper or Big Mac and you can't find it elsewhere besides there. They have such a huge following that it doesn't matter if it comes out crappy. At the end of the day it's Linkin Park, and you will hear it someway or somehow hate it & like it.

Same thing can be said about WWF Attitude Era and now WWE "Reality Era" or the John Cena era. I still watch it once in a while.. it's definitely not what I grew up with. But it is the brand and product. I yearn for them to go back to Attitude as much as I yearn for some hardcore Linkin Park.. but people change, times change, you just move on or accept things for what they are.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Blah. Too mutch bitching.

I'm getting a little bit sick of those fan-drama about the band honestly. You know, growing out of a band can happen and that doesn't need huge justification. If you feel like it's time to look into something else to listen to, something which will be more satisfying to you, then feel free to do it and just enjoy the moment. That will certainly be less of a waste of time than praying for LP to become a band they'll maybe never be.

That, or just deal with who they are as musicians. Six guys who enjoy making music, sometimes louder, sometimes mellower, sometimes more radio-friendly, sometimes more experimental, sometimes more electronic, sometimes more organic. Six guys who maybe aren't the most skilled musicians or song-writers ever, but who are able to make pretty enjoyable music. At least to my ears.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I think that Linkin Park are stronger and more focused than they've ever been. That being said, my favorite thing about Linkin Park is that they take risks, all of the time, for a fanbase that is mostly never satisfied with what they do. Being around this band for as long as I have, I've learned to roll with the punches. I've also learned to appreciate their work more than at just face value. I see the more positive in what they do, rather than dwell on what I wish they could do. Bottom line is that if you're going to sign on as a Linkin Park fan, be prepared for anything and don't expect LP to be something that you want them to be. All you're doing is setting yourself up to be disappointed for them not living up to your made up expectations. As fans of the band, we shouldn't be surprised that this album cycle is not like the last or the one before it, etc. The band excells at doing different things and surprising everyone while doing it. If this is your stop on the LP train, it's been fun while it lasted. Tell the Nu-Metal fans that we said "Hi."

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Pretty much my thoughts on this topic.

Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

One song and this happens. Sheesh.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people talked about this "last stand" thing back during the Living Things cycle too. Truth is, Linkin Park have always been one of the biggest rock bands ever since their dawn, and will always be till they decide to call it quits. Much like Metallica, they were always a big name, no matter how much people hated the new stuff they kept putting out. Even if their newer music gets less popular because it doesn't 'please the fans', their shows will always sell out. What I'm trying to say is that, they've hit the peak, and will always find a way to be relevant, judging by how they've been huge for a very long time.
    Honestly, all this last chance stuff a lot of you talk about is more drama than anything else. Because let's face it, even though you might claim you're done with the band, you know you're going to check out whatever they put out in hopes of them going 'back to their roots' (if you're that kind of fan) or just to see if it's something you like. You can't really dissociate yourself from a band, especially a band this big, because it is going to get to you somehow. Maybe through Radio, Internet, TV or anything for that matter. And if it's something you like, you'll want to check it out.
    Even otherwise, I don't get how one can dissociate themselves from a band they were once a big fan of. You don't like their new stuff, you're not going to give them another chance? Like listening to an album is that much of a big deal? Maybe you can grow out of it, but that's a different thing.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Why is Nu Metal always brought into conversation? I don't prefer Meteora over any of their other four albums, Minutes being my favorite. Rather than make a point all people do is get on their experimental high horse and go "try tah catch up muddafucka!!! You silly nu metal doofus!". I think this band is amazing and has potential. Lately they seem like they have been going downhill and we'll see what happens with this album when it comes out. I still think Reanimation set the bar for the band and Minutes set an even higher one. Reanimation had amazing guest features, better lyrics when the original lyrics had different lyrics (Enth E ND, Rnw@y, 1stp...etc.). Minutes really proved their versatility and they seemed so honest with it. My point I was making was most of their progression now seems forced and for lack of better words, faux. Like the bridge in In My Remains, what the hell was the point of that in the context of the song? It was different and fresh to be well different and fresh. Blackout's last portion lyrically fits certain interpretations of the first part. It's almost like a softer reflection of the first half which was chaotic and frenetic. Until It's Gone (omg dood its just 1 song liek its a Warner song you no nothin you NuMeTaL dweller those dayz r ohver) is just an awful song lyrically. I can name at least eight recent singles with way better lyrics that are pop radio ready like Iridescent, Burn It Down, and even Burning In The Skies. It shows nothing to old and new fans and just flat out sucks. (ermahgad is this kid dumb this album will be Heavy and visceral and carnivorous u still kno nuffin) I will see if this album can save the band from falling apart in my eyes. If this album contains real cheesy Mike verses, more non existent Dave, and a lack of imagination after all of this talk about bringing back the in your face style of music that the radio and current era of music is lacking, then I'll just laugh, delete it, take it as a fifteen dollar loss and enjoy whatever else I listen to. Maybe even some Fort Minor We Major which contains Mike's best boastful and self hyped lyrics in his career.

Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

No one did that on this thread.

This makes no sense at all. Are you really questioning why a song was made the way it was? Your criteria on what seems to be forced and why is pretty vague, to be honest.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I'll still listen to Linkin Park no matter what they do, and HATERS GONNA HATE.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

This is not a final stand. Linkin Park continues to be a big name both in and outside of North America.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

agreed

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

They certainly show no signs of slowing down, do they? They've been making music now for approximately 15 years. That's a long fucking time for a band to be making music let alone be pretty relevant throughout. They are making more music more frequently. Is it as ballsy as it was before? Of course not they are grown men. You've also gotten older while listening to them - like it or not we all mellow out (somewhat) with age. The music industry is changing, no question, and most pop music nowadays is certainly not rock-based. Hell in LPs heyday there were 10 other bands I could spit out, sounding exactly like LP, that we're selling out stadiums that have gone nowhere, and have made zero impact on anything.

I long for those days where I'd blast HT or Meteora in my shitty car, but that's just life man - time moves on.

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

A good summary of the LPA in the past few days. :kappa:

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Goldenbear, if you were getting miffed at my comment about Nu-Metal, you didn't read my whole reply or took the "Nu-Metal fan" part out of context. In no way was I calling you a Nu-Metal fan, I don't have a clue about what music you like. The point of me adding in the Nu-Metal comment was because the rage that I've seen on these boards after the release of Until It's Gone was very reminiscent of the days when Minutes To Midnight was released.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Fucking yes. Yesterday I wrote something on the UIG thread (which I accidentally posted and then deleted right away) that I just decided to scrap because I was being too.. Abrasive if I may. You just said what I think with the perfect wording. Thank you.

If someone doesn't like a band anymore just stop listening to it. I was a Hoobastank fan, a Trapt fan, hell, A LOSTPROPHETS fan (ugh), and I just stopped caring when the music wasn't just living up to my expectations, no essays, no drama, no bitching. Just move on.

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

People just love LP too much maybe that will always be their "gift and curse". Agreed though Andreina and qwerty

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Hybrid I posted what I like in ny second post (if you were curious not being a dick).

I'll let The Hunting Party do the talking for me when it releases. Sorry if I offended people I just needed to vent a little.