What is the LPA's overall opinion on Guilty All The Same?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Delicious Dave, May 2, 2014.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Since the hype wore off I haven't seen much of what people think about the song besides Rakim's verse. What do you think about the lyrics, the guitar work, the song structure etc? Just want to know if the song is generally liked around here.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I can give you my opinion, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be the opinion of the LPA.

deadbysunrise

deadbysunrise Well-Known Member

Maybe we can give our current opinions here? You know, not the ones we had when we were like 'holy fuck, new song, awesome, best of all time!' :lol: I'm sure people can give a more unbiased opinion now. I believe that's what @Comstock meant.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

As with every lead single, I hope it turns out to be one of the weaker tracks on the album.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

This: :chuck:

Anonymous Person

Anonymous Person You promised me flesh!

Hope it's one of the softer ones on the album.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Unlikely.

Delicious Dave

I know, I'm talking about the majority opinion, what the general consensus is. Like how most here consider ATS the best album, BID to be a shitty first single etc

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I think most people like the song pretty well. Then again, we haven't been talking about it much recently because of all the interviews and then the Until It's Gone hype.

My current thoughts are pretty much the same as they were: I really don't like the lyrics. You may find this hard to believe, but Linkin Park does not want to be told what to do and thinks you're a hypocrite. As if that didn't come across over the decade+ they've been writing songs. And this one is especially simple.

I do, however, like the way the song builds. And the chorus melody is good.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

I actually think BURN IT DOWN is one of their better first singles. I personally don't like One Step Closer or Somewhere I belong, tend to skip them when they come up on my playlist.

Anyway, just as a perspective between now and then, Guilty All The Same was an absolutely orgasmic single when I first heard it, but first impressions are definitely not something to go by (just look at the LPA page when BURN IT DOWN released).

Looking and listening deeper into the song, I feel like everything is as it should be with the exception of the lyrics. They are very Meteora like, kind of reminds me of Don't Stay or Somewhere I Belong. Just gives off a very redundant vibe. Something else I would have liked which really doesn't seem possible now is Chester having stronger vocals. Since 2008, he has slowly declined in vocal performances and its sad to see how its now even noticable in the studio. On a more positive note, he does an exceptional job on the chorus.

Aside from those things, I am still very much content with GATS and play it about 5 times a day if not more (great work out track!).

For future references, when the album hits, I'll probably take a break from GATS, but in a couple weeks it'll be back in, I'm not too critical or judgemental on first singles once the full album releases because we spoil ourselves by listening to the song which makes it seem inferior to the rest of the tracks on the album.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Generally, my opinion on a LP song 2 months after its release doesn't change much anymore.

So yeah, I'd say GATS is definitely a (very) good song. Nice to get an almost 6 min track, nice progression within it, and nice intensity. Plus the raw sound/mix is such a welcome change seeing how polished LP songs usually are. Also, the instrumental in particular is very strong, especially that piano-intro part and the outro. The drumming is insane for an LP song, and I'm personnaly a big fan of the bridge guitar riff. Rakim lyrics and flow are top notch too.

Overall, very pleased with the song, even though it would be good to get a second one from the record now :lol:

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

"Breathe of fresh air" is how I would describe the song. We were hearing stories about the album being heavier, and it was great having this song confirm how that would actually sound. Also, anytime LP collabs with another artist it's always interesting, so having Rakim on the track was a welcomed change. When it comes to the lyrics, I can't say that this song is the most ground-breaking for LP's standards, but the chorus is catchy as hell, which is a must for any lead single.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

''When's the next one coming?''

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Barring The Catalyst, of course.

When Burn it Down released, I was completely meh on the track. It's safe to say for me it hasn't changed. :lol:

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Anonymous Person

Anonymous Person You promised me flesh!

I can't say it's my favorite but it is up there.

Zachary

Zachary Banned

Love the song.

Praydox

Praydox Me, Myself and I

For me, it had the ATS-syndrome.
    First I thought: "ok it's a heavy song, but something is missing. Oh and the rapper is not Mike, mhh...".
    But after hearing it a few times, it got better & better and now I really like it (Only the intro could be shorter)

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

They decided to go for a very raw take on the vocals. Like someone on the forums has already mentioned, the result is closer to Chester's actual delivery live. I don't think this song is a step down for Chester, I think his vocals were meant to sound that way on the song.

Delicious Dave

I don't get people wanting a shorter intro. LP songs are short enough as it is. The long intro is probably my favourite thing about the song.