Linkin Park: "The Hunting Party" Track-By-Track Preview of the Six Song Sampler

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Apr 28, 2014.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I recently got the chance to listen to six tracks from Linkin Park's upcoming album The Hunting Party, due out June 17th, and am able to share thoughts and impressions on what I heard. While I am including my descriptions of the six tracks I heard below, please be sure to head on over to my alternative rock website, AltWire for my complete thoughts on the new material, as well as for the full write-up.

Keys To The Kingdom

Confirmed as the opening track to The Hunting Party, this track wastes no time in introducing you to the band's goal and mission statement for this record, delivering a brass knuckled punch to the face as Rob Bourdon channels Black Flag to deliver some of his quickest and fiercest drumming on a Linkin Park record to date. Feeling like a punk-rock influenced cousin of their earlier track "Victimized" (from 2012's LIVING THINGS), vocalist Chester Bennington screams out his frustrations over the track's high octane instrumentation as he laments to the listener "I'm my own casualty; I've fucked up everything I say, fighting in futility".

All For Nothing (Featuring Page Hamilton)

A clearly intentional nod to Helmet in its influences and style (so much that Helmet lead vocalist Page Hamilton appears on the track), "All For Nothing" comes off as a challenge to the band's critics and naysayers, while extending a middle fingered invitation for them to step up to the plate. Mike Shinoda fires back at those who attempt to control him, defiantly stating "no I'm not your soldier, I ain't taking any orders, I'm a five star general infantry controller...". Guest vocalist Page Hamilton steps in to sing the song's chorus over Sum-41 style gang vocals from Chester Bennington as he proclaims "I'm gonna get what I deserve".

Guilty All The Same (Featuring Rakim)

From its blistering two-minute intro to its squealing outro, the single hits you like a hurricane from the very first second and does not let up. "GATS" does not feature the electronic elements that had been found in some of the band's most recent material, but instead offers something louder, rawer and nastier than we have ever heard from Linkin Park. It also features a surprise appearance from hip-hop legend Rakim, marking the first time a guest vocalist has appeared on one of the band's studio releases. It's new, it's exciting, it's challenging, and it's refreshing at a time when rock music has arguably lost some of its edge.

Wastelands

Fans of Mike Shinoda's hip-hop oriented side project Fort Minor, will undoubtedly be left in awe over the exquisite rhyme pattern and wordplay Mike Shinoda delivers on top of Wasteland's gritty stomping drum beat and distorted guitar riffs that pervade the song's 3 minute plus running time. A confident display of his rap abilities, Shinoda puts his skills on full display stating "This is war with no weapons, marchin' with no steppin', murder with no killin', ill in every direction" informing other emcees to first "do the math" because there's "no equal, a John with no Yoko, more power, less people..." complimented by a chorus that features lyrics themed around an end of the world apocalyptic scenario, this track hits hard, and lets everybody know that Mr. Shinoda can run with the best of them.

Until It's Gone

Beginning with a synth line reminiscent of 2003's "Numb" from their sophomore release Meteora, Until It's Gone takes a sharp turn into an unexpected brooding goth rock anthem, proving to be one of the most atmospheric and diverse songs on the 6 song sampler. It took me by surprise on the first listen, and is actually one of my favorite songs the band has done in recent memory. With it's gorgeous choir like backing vocals, and intense orchestral backdrop this song stays with you, and impacts you long after well...'It's Gone'. Atmospherically similar to the band's 2010 release A Thousand Suns, Chester looks back woefully in regret at a failed relationship, singing "I thought I kept you safe and sound, I thought I made you strong, but something made me realize, that I was wrong." It wouldn't be out of place to expect this as the band's next single given its highly memorable sound and powerful melodies.

Rebellion (Featuring Daron Malakian)

Sonically resembling a Toxicity-era System of a Down track, Daron Malakian's signature guitar sound is on full display here as he delivers a blisteringly fast sixteenth note guitar riff behind Mike Shinoda's sung lead vocals, breaking only momentarily for the chorus where Chester Bennington takes over the microphone to sing "we are the fortunate ones, imitations of rebellion". Painting a picture of society's downfall, Rebellion comes to a close with a super heavy fist pumping bridge of "Rebellion! Rebellion! One by one we fall apart!"

While System fans have been waiting for a new album that may seemingly never come, they may just find what they were missing on this ultra-heavy rock track that combines System of Down's alternative-metal style with the early 90's punk sound that influences and permeates through many of the tracks on The Hunting Party. Guaranteed to be a crowd favorite if it ever is performed live, this track will no doubt land on many rock fans "favorite tracks" list when The Hunting Party drops this June.

Source: AltWire

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

WAT.

EDIT: After my accurately expressed first impression (but acting as a placeholder), now I can comment about the review.

I AM EXTREMELY HYPED. Reviews are always taken with a pinch of salt around here but this time coming from you, I feel a bit more confident, and I can't seriously wait for this album. The lyrics look nice so far.

If this is true.. OH MY GOD. You have NO IDEA how MUCH I've wanted LP to do anything orchestra related, and to read the word "atmospheric" makes me so excited.. There were some threads in the past where I've written that. I can't wait for this song, we'll get it soon :'D

I don't know how else to express my excitement. And Congrats Derek!!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    Derek

:error:

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Thanks for this very good preview Derek.

snailharvest

snailharvest nice

HYPE HYPE HYPE

holy shit

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

OH GOD WHY

Whew.

Jesus thank fuck.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Got an error for the AltWire link.

I wasn't planning on reading any descriptions, but seeing as they came from Derek instead of a random reviewer, I had to. :p But damn, these descriptions as is sound fucking awesome!

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Also +1 for not using the fuckin' word visceral, Oswald Cobblepot.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Your descriptions of Until It's Gone, Rebellion, and Wastelands have got me incredibly fucking excited! I feel like in the context of the song, I'll really like that John Lennon line.

[​IMG]

Yurieff

Yurieff Meow. :3

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS!

AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

This guy.....

Jelly. sooooo freakin jelly right now.

Bruno

Bruno Each word gets lost in the echo...

Oh My God. The Hype.

Damn Derek, you lucky bastard!!!!!! Hope you enjoyed the songs really!

edit: Derek can you provide us some info on the length of the songs?

jouki

jouki Well-Known Member

" vocalist Chester Bennington screams out his frustrations over the track's high octane instrumentation "

NICEE

lpmadness

lpmadness Well-Known Member

Best reviews yet! So what would you say is your fav and least fav?

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Until It's Gone seems like it's going to be one of the most interesting songs out of the bunch. Derek's description of it has got me really hyped! :lol: It seems like it's going to be a real unique track for them.

Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. I'm so excited now! Thank you for the flawless descriptions! I'M SO READY JFC JGNRGJR
    [​IMG]

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Damn Derek, you lucky bastard! Kudos to AltWire and LPA for getting the chance to preview the tracks.. Just gimme UIG now and the preorder and take my money lol

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Can't reveal song lengths unfortunately. Sorry!

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

The only bad thing now is that my expectations are sky high. The band gave us a scare with LIVING THINGS, but it sounds like they have their shit back together. Really hoping this can top ATS, which would be hard to do.

Derek

Should be working fine now.

And Minus, I had five viscerals in there originally as a joke. Edited all/most of them out. :lol:

Yep. Joe's right. I couldn't get those cleared for approval to post. Sorry!