Linkin Park Six

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by EastGhost, Sep 6, 2013.

1. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Define "effective", though

2. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

ATS is designed to have interludes. This does not make them filler. Quite the opposite, in fact. It means that it has structure. ATS is clearly designed to be listened to as an album over a collection of songs. That, in effect, makes the interludes worthwhile, because they are designed to be in the context of the album, whereas the actual songs can be taken out of it and still be good. ATS has no filler, really. The only way it has filler, period, is if you completely ignore the fact that it is designed to be an album, which defeats the entire point.

3. PikachuFuck

PikachuFuck Banned

ATS has ten times the re-playability of Living Things.

Anyway.. Anyone think it's possible that LP might have been working on this album since before Living Things?

4. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

It's possible they could be working with demos created from other recording sessions, as seen with I'll Be Gone and Powerless. Beyond that, I don't think it has been at the forefront of their minds with any sort of intention as being a part of a different album than the one they were working on.

5. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

No. The band, or at least Mike, seem to be on this big *bringin the "hard" back into hardcorez* kick or whatever it is fairly recently. Such specific inspiration would mean probably mean any material laying around from before the past album was mostly scrapped.

Are you asking because you think Living Things was ordered up by the label as something to help win back the audience after ATS? Because that could also be true to an extent. I remember LPL user HybridTheory97 predicted that the band would put out a more pop album quickly after A Thousand Suns if Warner was unhappy with the reaction to it. It looks like he was pretty spot on. But I don't think the band was also working on their "real" album at the same time or anything like that.

6. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Sorry if this too off-topic but I have been thinking about what Mike and Chester mean when they say the upcoming album will be "heavy." It seems evident that guitars will or probably will make a comeback and be a more integral part of the album. However, does this mean that LP will mostly abandon the electronic element that they have been recently using (ATS, LT) in exchange for more guitar work? Electronic sound effects do not necessarily lead to a song being less heavy or too light and I would like to show that with an old instrumental from a video game. This track is, from what I can tell, mostly electronic but is definitely heavy in terms of its pacing, intensity, and aggression:

[video=youtube;h5lpL3VKdhw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5lpL3VKdhw[/video]

I believe that if LP decided to make either songs or instrumentals in this fashion and added their own twist to it, we could have something really interesting.

7. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Effective as in a REAL song that can stand on its own, and not an interlude. I wouldn't turn on my mp3 player just to play The Radiance or Fallout, for example.

By no means I was saying ATS has "filler". It's just that to me, you can't say ATS has "15 songs", because those interludes can't be played on their own, therefore to me they aren't songs. I'm not saying they're not good, I'm saying that they depend on the ACTUAL songs, therefore, that album has just 9 of them.

Like Meteora for example, you have 13 tracks, but you know one of them is NOT a song. That's the whole point.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. PikachuFuck

PikachuFuck Banned

Some people might, plus LP prefer people listen to the whole of ATS rather than standalone tracks.

They can.

You know one of them is not a song, not us.

This is all subjective.

Do you consider this a song?

[video=youtube;zY7UK-6aaNA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7UK-6aaNA[/video]

9. Andreina

I was talking about FOREWORD. I know Session IS a song. :facepalm:

And whether LP wants everyone to listen to the whole ATS isn't a rule, not everyone will abide to that except the more hardcore fans of the album. I like listening to it as a whole as much as I like to listen to some songs separately, and still, I don't consider the interludes (SHORT, unlike the 9MIN song you just linked) as standalone, independent songs.

You can't be too rigid about "ATS being played from front to back" all the time because if that was the case Linkin Park would've just made a music video on the whole album (unpractical and absurd), instead they released their respective singles using the SONGS they could choose from for that purpose.

10. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

We really need Minus for a discussion like this. It isn't the same without him :rolleyes:

11. Andreina

Well, yeah. And actually I use the term "effective" in reference to a post he made but I know he would mop the floor with me for saying ATS interludes aren't exactly songs (TO ME).

If any, Jornada del Muerto is the only track that can hold its ground without adding context.

12. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I doubt the electronics are just going to go away. The 2 can mix quite well and I'm excited to see how they do it (assuming thats the path they choose). But guitars hardly mean the death of electronics.

13. Andreina

Eisbrecher is an excellent proof of how electronics and guitars can coexist. And that's why they're so awesome.

14. PikachuFuck

PikachuFuck Banned

Some people may consider Foreword a song.

15. Andreina

Who and under what argument? That it's listed on the tracklist? That is way too vague for me to believe. It's a 13-second intro with a sound of a smashing glass, and its title doesn't even help the cause.

You're just replying for the sake of it.

16. PikachuFuck

PikachuFuck Banned

I already sent my side of argument which communicated that all music and definitions of music are subjective, pay attention Dear.

17. Andreina

Your argument was flawed in the minute you posted a 9 minute orchestra video to explain why Foreword is a song. An orchestra. Compared. To Foreword.

Jesus.

18. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

My what a clusterfuck.

Andreina's right, though. "Innovative" or not ATS is a fairly padded out mini album. It's a damn good one, but it's still just 9 "proper" songs and a bunch of interludes that, realistically, they could have just slapped at the end or beginning of other songs.

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Considering that you also think Meteora is a concept album, it's safe to say you're out of your element.

20. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Thank God they didn't.