Mike Shinoda Posts First Studio Update of 2014, Discusses "Mostly Self-Produced" Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Well that sounds exciting, just one question, Aren't you Geki? (Not xGeki, but Geki). It's just that I'm reading you going to Chester's M&G and remembering past Chester interviews, sounds to me you're a Chester fan like Geki is.

I'M JUST CURIOUS. LOL.

2. Praydox

Praydox Me, Myself and I

I don't know why everyone is so suspicious.
    Sure... Chester was to rash in the MTM era, but I think he wouldn't do the same mistake again.

There are two things we actually know: 1. The album is heavy 2. The album is going to be out real soon.

The second fact means, that they haven't really much time left. So even if they want to change the album, they would never manage it to make it sound completly different.

3. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

There's something weird about it for me as well. We'll see... in 4–7 months.

4. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'm 99% sure they're already toward the end of the writing process and recording the album around this time, so the music wouldn't change very much.

I thought it was just a name change until I saw he had 1 post. It's not like Geki is a common name either, and being a huge fan of Chester's threw me off. :lol:

5. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

One thing I know I'll be upset about is if we get some "firecracker" bullshit again. I don't mine a song or two but man if there aren't a handful of songs that eclipse the 4, 5, or 6-minute length I'll be upset.

6. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I don't know. Mike blog post leflt me the impression the music could still change a lot until the release of the whole thing.

Then maybe he very well knows right now how the record gonna sound, and he just wants to keep the surprise. But since I'm not sure, I prefer to stay very prudent :)

7. Anonymous Person

Anonymous Person You promised me flesh!

Holy hell, your first post and you get me jumping up and down?! What are you gonna do for an encore lol

8. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

That is the best thing I heard in a long time!!!

9. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Whatever 6th album eventually sounds like.... Geki, you found the right thing to have the most quoted first post I remember seeing on this forum :lol:

10. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

:lol: Damn right.

11. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Ugh but I'm not looking forward to a heavy album! Linkin Park will really have to do something special for me to like another heavy album.

But then again, heavy can mean multiple things in music, especially for a band like Linkin Park.

12. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Like I say so many times LP CAN make a heavy album without having it to be "nu metal"

13. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Which is why I included that second line of text in my original post. It all depends on what heavy means to the band.

14. deadbysunrise

deadbysunrise Well-Known Member

Of course it's not gonna be nu metal. It's 2014, who cares about nu metal 15 years after it was big? Especially Linkin Park, with Mike talking about 'revolutionizing' rock music and stuff like that. Songs like Given Up and No More Sorrow prove that the guys don't need the nu metal tag to be heavy.

I'm really stoked about this record. I was hoping for a more organic album - we've had enough electronics for the past two records and while ATS is a strong favorite of mine, I'm not a big fan of LT. Now I'm looking forward to LP being more 'traditional' about their instrumentation, as it's something they have never done. Yeah, apart from MTM, which also happens to be my favorite LP album. Knowing that they've changed the way they write (jamming) and record (analogue vs. digital) seems to be what might turn out to be my piece of cake. I don't really care about the 'heaviness' of the tracks - I like both 'soft' and 'heavy' LP. Being heavy sounds interesting, though - something they haven't quite done in a while and may be very different now, having in mind their different approach. I still want them to go bonkers, of course. ATS-like creativity with more organic sound and bigger punch might be just what rock music needs right now.

15. Deadlyeyes552

Deadlyeyes552 Well-Known Member

Oh I bet I do hahahha just wait

16. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The only thing that makes the "hardest music to date" statement more credible is that Chester had made that remark with MTM very early in the recording process when the band was still identifying their new sound. With this; the album is a mere 4-6 months away at best and despite Mike saying the sound changes every week, one reoccuring statement from every band member is that they want a very intense and energetic album.

Chester said late last year that the album is dark and heavy (in an interview he had about STP), then Mike comes in and does an interview (with LPA and Altwire *plug*) where he states:

Add that to the fact that Mike made similar comments in a Pigeons and Planes article (in addition to basically saying the same points when talking to me back in November); plus that 8 string guitar photo, and I think the general consensus is that the band wants to make something innovative yet energetic and fierce. They're not promising it's metal or hard rock, but they do want to do something very intense and raw from what interviews suggest.

17. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

All of this I like.

18. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

This all is so exciting. But I'm not gonna be so sure about the sound just yet. I mean, so far, everything seems to point to them making more intense and energetic songs but that could change all of a sudden. It is Linkin Park after all.

19. Clever Name

Clever Name Well-Known Member

I think there's a very awesome album coming for all of us. From everything i've seen so far, it looks promising! But I guess we'll find out soon! Fingers crossed.

:tswing:

20. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Posts like the ones from this last page make me wish this forum had a "like" button.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.