Mike Shinoda Posts First Studio Update of 2014, Discusses "Mostly Self-Produced" Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

How can you claim the ATS ship 'sailed and never came back' when there's only been one album after it? This is not the case of the nü-metal sound, which did part THREE albums ago.

Sorry, but "studio artwork" isn't the same as "possible album artwork". I might be wrong but that piece could as well have been bought in a store. Again, I would highly doubt LP bandmembers or crew would risk posting sensite information about the album at this point in time, like titles, art, etc.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Was LT like ATS? No LT was a mix of everything. All i'm saying is that LP will never make another ATS nor will they ever make another HT.
    So i that case the HT ad ATS ships both have sailed. Now like i said who knows what their next album will sound like. It could be really soft,
    really heavy (not nu metal) LP could make a heavy album without being nu metal, a full hip hop album, its to early to tell.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  3. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Apparently you do.

4. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Yeah you're right their next album will sound like lollipops and rainbows with full of sun shine
    and a mix of kumbaya. And tbh i'd rather have that, as a matter of ract id rather have anything than another ATS

5. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

So what if LP6 is another genre-busting album that goes far beyond the bands comfort zone? Because really that's the only place they can go next as a band. Sounds like A Thousand Suns to me.

6. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

A Thousand Suns 2 wouldn't be another album of the same music, it would be another album of the same concept. Which would mean the music wouldn't sound similar. That's what meant by ATS2. *sigh* The arguing is getting meaningless.

7. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Welcome back to the hype train. :sleep:

8. AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

9. minuteforce

10. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

11. Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

This is why I gave up this "debate" a while ago. Apparently it's a very difficult concept for some to wrap their heads around.

12. xGeki

xGeki Banned

I cannot wait for this album! So many great bits of news we have got so far. LP making a ''mostly'' self produced album sounds really good and I am confident in Mike. The band being inspired is also a very good sign. As much as I loved LIVING THINGS, I am happy that they seem to be going about a different approach this time around. I actually have some new news for you guys here. I posted this already on LPLive, but I figured I would share it here as well. I know some of you may not think it's ''news'' or of much value, but it definitely has me excited. I just met Chester at the Porsche Design meet & greet event in New York City tonight and he was taking time to take pictures and talk with each person, so I asked him how the LP album was going. His face lit up and he said ''It's been going great man. The stuff we are writing is fucking heavy as shit dude. This is definitely the heaviest stuff we have ever done before'' and he proceeded to tell me about it and how he can't wait for us to all hear the new music. This had be VERY excited because I am definitely a fan of LP's heavier music. Joe's tech, I believe, told the LPU the other day that Mike has been using an 8-string guitar as well and I believe 8-string guitar's are primarily used for heavier music, no? Additionally, some of you may recall a few interviews last year where Chester said that he has been doing a lot of screaming (Kevin & Bean) and that the stuff Mike has been listening to lately was heavy and in your face, so to speak (Chester & Richard Patrick interview). I can't wait for this album!!! I think it will be their best yet and that is saying a lot!

13. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Just gonna say: yes.

I've said it numerous of times, the sound is there. They just need to actually play with it, which they didn't on LT. I'm not gonna go on and do my whole explanation here 'cause I couldn't have said it better than Xero21.

I really do not care that LT wasn't supposed to be #CuttingEdge, it's a lazy effort, aside from a couple of great tracks. LT also didn't know what it was. One half is filled with singles but there's also everything post-COG that flows so nicely. I wouldn't have had the problems I have with LT if it was more like the second half.

Anyways, I digress, it seems like they're heading into the right direction again. I'm cautiously optimistic reading the blog post (especially them recording on tape) but I'm still holding myself back from getting excited. Now, they have the chance to surprise me like they did with ATS and I hope they do.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  14. Infinity

Infinity *

You Sir, made my day.

15. minuteforce

It definitely all fits together right now :)

16. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

The greatest first post ever!

:awesome:

17. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Good one! :lol:

:disgust: But Mike said the sound of the album changes every week or so... I wouldn't really get too excited. Remember what happened with Minutes to Midnight?

Although it does fit together in a way. All that Shinoda talk about modern rock not being aggressive enough.

18. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

pls go.

19. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Why don't I believe this...

20. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'm directly adressed by this post, but I think it's probable. So to be clear once and for all: I get the idea, dude :) ATS 2 would not mean an album sounding like ATS, but an album as experimental as ATS. It's not even a difficult concept to understand. It's just, what sometimes bugs me, is the level of exigence of some people. Like, they have their standards (experimentation is needed!!!), and if those aren't met (as in LT), then it's bitchfest over bitchfest. But I definitely get the idea from where a lot of ATS fans are coming from.

I would love to believe in Chester's words, but...

1) Chester has always spoken too early and too much about how future albums would sound. I prefer Mike's prudent approach.

2) And as Mike has said multiples times, their sound constantly switchs and turns in the process. In other words, them having writed "heavy" music at the beginning/mid of it means it could turn into something totally different at the end of it.

If Chester had said such things at the very end of the process, I would change my mind. But at this moment, I still refuse to think next record will be any kind of harder music. No expectations is the wisest choice to make.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.