Mike Shinoda Posts First Studio Update of 2014, Discusses "Mostly Self-Produced" Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Especially in a concept album, it feels like that song should be a climax in the lyrical story, or as minute said the track gains emphasis when it probably shouldn't.

I think LP has chosen album/song names pretty well throughout their career.

2. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It was actually seven months ago! :lol: Here is the Instagram post and here is the tweet which followed.

3. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

The closest they ever got to doing that was with A Thousand Suns, when those words were used in two songs. I don't think it will be named after a song on the album.

4. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

How anyone could judge an albums sound by its name is beyond me.

5. Kiq

Kiq We're a broken people living under loaded gun

6. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I've got nothing but positive vibes from this excellent post. I mean we still hardly know anything, but what we do know excites me greatly! The band are once again kicking back old habits and are moving out of their comport zone, which i felt they avoided doing on LT. Something unexpected is what I'm expecting, and hopefully through this we'll get a killer record to boot :partyminus:

7. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I don't think we could ever predict in advance what the album name could be. The whole order and chaos thing is just a vague description and if it was remotely related to the album name I don't think Mike would've given it away so easily especially so soon.

8. UltimateLegend

UltimateLegend Well-Known Member

Honestly, I've always wanted them to try out self-producing to see how it would go. Looks like I got my wish (mostly).

9. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

LP is so unpredictable nowadays... We can't even imagine this new concept for the new record.. it seems so vague and mysterious... it reminds of A Thousand Suns album cycle..

10. thor

thor Well-Known Member

I don think there's anything wrong with having some fun coming up names for the album. it could be anything though.

11. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

After the disastrous last album I can't help but keep my expectations at a bare minimum.

I just hope it doesn't sound as overly polished and cookie-cutter as LT.

12. Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

Except 'Living Things' lol.

On topic, it's about time they showed Rubin the door. Four albums in a row with no other variety in the production department would have been stale.

Besides in my book, he fired only once in three efforts anyway (ATS).

13. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I don't want to start debat on this, but "Disastrous" is an extreme-as-hell term to describe LT.

Something who doesn't meet your musical tastes isn't automatically disastrous. If yes, I assume every album should consist of shooting mellow music to be good, wheter accoustic ballads or emotional hip hop (refering to 90% of the music you seems to dig in the Rate That song thread) and that vision irks me a little. A little more objectivity, please... But nevermind.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  14. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

LT being disastrous is my personal opinion. And don't equate that to my musical taste. I enjoyed the hell out of MTM and ATS.

15. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

In retrospect, I don't think LT was *that* bad. Maybe not nearly as good as ATS, maybe a bit more on the mediocre side, but it certainly wasn't a disaster.

16. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It really isn't that bad. I'd say that everything from "Castle" and onwards is great. May not be "A Thousand Suns" but there are still some good songs that could not have existed on that album, which is what you'd want as a fan.

In any case, if you like the band's next album, then, "Living Things" can be appreciated as a stepping stone.

17. Anonymous Person

Anonymous Person You promised me flesh!

Living Things wasn't horrible but it didn't live up to my expectations for cutting edge Linkin Park albums. A Thousand Suns was amazing, and well executed. Living Things (the name included) was just...meh.

18. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

A Thousand Suns seems incomplete to me. Living Things on the other side works fine as what it is, so I wouldn't even say ATS was better. Anyway, although we don't know much yet, I feel the upcoming album is gonna beat both.

19. Clever Name

Clever Name Well-Known Member

When I first heard A Thousand Suns I thought to myself ''What the fuck is this shit?'' Then after a couple of listens I began to understand what the album was all about and I began to appreciate it more.

A Thousand Suns didn't really cut it for me that well, because I like to listen to an album and say ''Fuck yeah, I really enjoyed that'' I think that's why Living Things was ALOT more appealing to me. I love the energy that Linkin Park can bring to their songs, and I really enjoy their mellow side. And I think Living Things really had a good combination of energy and their mellow side.

20. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Living Things wasn't meant to be cutting edge anyway, admitted by the bandmembers themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.