What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

12 Years A Slave - 5/5 - Emotional, gutwrenching, heartbreaking, inhumane are a few words that would describe my state while watching this film. Steve McQueen crafted a monster of a film.

2. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - 7/10 It was alright. But the ending didn't make sense to me...

3. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    CF 2.jpg
    9/10 Saw it twice, and I have to give it a nine. It was much better than the first (and I didn't read Catching Fire, so it might have made the movie better).

Elysium
    ELYSIUM 2.jpg
    6/10 Very disappointed with this movie. All I wanted was an exciting, new sci-fi movie, and it was just an average sci-fi.

Man of Steel
    *I'm just not going to do a picture because I can't find a good one that fits!*
    9/10 Great acting + great score + great overall movie x Superman = Awesometacular.

4. Agent

[​IMG]

American Hustle (2013) - 5/5 - This could be David O. Russell's Goodfellas. What a great film. Christian Bale stole the show for me but I thought Jennifer Lawrence's character needed someone older. She was the weakest link for me.

[​IMG]

Hunger (2008) - 3/5 - Difficult film to watch. Lot of intense and gruesome scenes. I thought Michael Fassbender was amazing but overall the pacing was way too slow. It was like there wasn't enough story to cover the whole one and half hours.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - 7/10

Just felt like watching this movie and well, I had tons of fun! It's basically one big trip down nostalgia lane. Silly story, but as a fan of the series, enjoyable. Especially the "villains" are a lot of fun (which is something, I think, the whole Z-saga lacked - unlike the original Dragon Ball - fun villains). The humor especially shines and reminded me a bit of the humor from the original "Dragon Ball" series.

Of course, there are inconsistencies (some larger than others..) but I digress: if you're a fan of the series and in need of a fun (well-paced) movie, this is the one to watch. Just don't go in expecting an epic story (which you shouldn't do anyways, it's Dragon Ball).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  6. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

American Hustle - 4.5 out of 5

Christian Bale's performance is the only one worth anything in the entirety of the film as Amy Adams is all over the place with her accent swapping, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner are unable to become their characters, and Jennifer Lawrence can do all of two words in a Jersey accent. However, David O. Russell weaves his tale as intricately as possible while maintaining the appearance of a period piece of its time. Plus, the cast all do have great chemistry with each other, particularly Bale and Renner's friendship, and, somehow, Bale and Lawrence's strained marriage. In the end, the good guys win, love triumphs, and Bradley Cooper gets a reality check - power isn't everything.

7. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Bradley Cooper was the weak point in my opinion. I'm not a fan of his at all really.

8. Anonymous Person

Anonymous Person You promised me flesh!

The Mask Of Zorro-4/5 Old but gold.

9. Agent

[​IMG]

Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - 4.5/5 - Matthew McConaughey gives an unforgettable performance. His complete immersion into his character is truly the greatest strength of this film. That and Jared Leto's incredibly brave portrayal of a transgender woman. If there was ever a method acting goldmine, this is it. My only gripe with the film is that it sacrifices fleshing out of characters (to an extent) for plot advancement. I never quite felt for any of the characters besides Ron Woodroof.

10. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Artifact
    [​IMG]
    10/10 It was so amazing to see the struggle the band went through with the lawsuit. Since I didn't like Thirty Seconds to Mars at the time, I never really knew about the lawsuit. Now, I'm almost fully understanding of it. Plus, I got see really how much a record labeling company screws over the artist.

11. Agent

[​IMG]

Don Jon (2013) - 3/5 - Decent watch. Pretty lightweight affair. But for a directorial debut and a dramedy it was good.

Scarlett Johansson in this film tho! Lawd.

12. Maars

Maars Well-Known Member

Star Trek - 3/5

star_trek_xi_ver16_xlg.jpg

I'm not really familiar with the Star Trek world, but if the movie is trying to be funny, action and adventurous, I think it succeeds. Now, I might piss someone off, but I didn't like the score.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  13. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Artifact (2012) – Wonderfully executed film showcasing 30 Seconds to Mars' battle with EMI in 2008 and 2009. It includes interviews with Chester Bennington, Brandon Boyd and Serj Tankian (as well as others in the record label business) who talk about the difficulties of being under a major label, and alongside the lawsuit it follows the band's recording process of This Is War.

Some of the demos they play in the film are actually songs from LOVE LUST FAITH + DREAMS, so no wonder some of you compared the album to its predecessor.

Great film. 8/10

14. TheZlajaZlo

^ Where did you see it?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  15. Agent

[​IMG]

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - 4/5 - Its a very well made film and I had a lot of fun with it. Acting-wise Leo did a great job although I still think his baby-face gets in the way of his actual acting talent. The amount of debauchery caught me off guard.. was not expecting that much of craziness tbh.

I loved the last scene of the film and I wish there were more clever pivotal moments like that. Anything that came close to it were the sales prep-talks.

16. Maars

Maars Well-Known Member

The Intouchables - 4/5

The-Intouchables-poster.jpg

Philippe is a rich man living in Paris. He's got money, cars, he's interested in classical music and art, but there is one problem. He's quadriplegic. He's looking for an assistant who would take care of him 24/7 and this way he meets young Driss. By the way, Driss is no nurse.

A very nice movie with touching and heartwarming scenes. Although, If you've seen movies like Rain Man and so on, you could say, you've seen it all.

17. lime treacle

FTFY, and

guess.

18. TheZlajaZlo

oh, thanx :sheldon:

I don't know, it's not on torrent, so I have no idea.

19. Agent

[​IMG]

Her (2013) - 4.5/5 - Wow what an incredibly innovative, thought provoking and touching film. Not just that, the film was visually stunning. They nailed the "future LA" look so well... unlike a lot of sci-fi films, where they go over the top with future aesthetics. Major props on the level of details in the film. Only other film that comes to mind regarding this is Children of Men. The story was gripping, I thought Joaquin Phoenix was incredible.. he should definitely get an Oscar nom for his performance. It was so subtle and real. He's truly one of the best actors alive today. Being a heady/out-there topic it ran the risk of coming off as pretentious or dull but the writing had such a strong human core to it that that's what drove the story forward. Loved it. My only TINY gripe would be that I thought the ending felt a bit rushed.

20. lime treacle

Yes it is. Maybe look harder. Alternatively I can link you to it somewhere else.

~

Agent O, you watch so many movies! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.