An Open Letter To Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Luke, Dec 17, 2013.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I want to direct your attention to a band named Thrice. In less than a decade, they had a "standard post-punk" album, an experimental alternative album, expanding on that sound with 4 EPs (which I'm counting as a single album) based on "elements", and followed up with two "sweet spot", similar sounding but diverse album. All of these albums were different, but all of them had a very similar "Thrice sound" and didn't deviate too drastically differently from each other where half of the fanbase became confused and disappointed.

A few years back I actually won a Linkin Park fanpack contest with what was actually a kind of backhanded, condescending comparison to Thrice, and I'm gonna copypaste some of that.

Now this was written far more "flowery" than I normally talk, I wanted to win a contest (and it worked :D), but that's my response when Linkin Parks genre shifting proficiency is brought up.

Anonymous Person

Anonymous Person You promised me flesh!

Get started then.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I shall not bother to read the previous replies. I do not have the bandwidth to.

Here's what I'm going to say:
    • Wait for the next album, then say something.
    • The band can do whatever they want.
    • There are thousands more people who can complain just like you. What makes you important?
    • LIVING THINGS did have some experimentation. Forgot about "VICTIMIZED", "CASTLE OF GLASS", not to mention "SKIN TO BONE" and "UNTIL IT BREAKS"? That's 4 out of 12, arguably 11 tracks. You could even put "LIES GREED MISERY" in there too.

To be clear, A Thousand Suns is my favorite Linkin Park album, along with Minutes.

Oh yeah, forgot to add: all that "mainstream" talk is annoying. "EDM is mainstream. SHIT, LP, WHY DID YOU MAKE AN EDM ALBUM?" It's new for them. It is, in a way, experimenting. And, above all, Recharged bears no importance. It's nothing but a remix album.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

This all isn't directed at you, NoN. Just a bunch of ramblings from the tangent you started me on. :)

Damn near everything the band has done could be concidered "mainstream." Why is this a big surprise now? Are we all just trying to act like a bunch of hipsters and say that because it's mainstream it sucks? When did the fanbase get so concerned if the music the band is making is mainstream or not? Why should anyone care what kind of music you like? I don't care what kind of music anyone likes. If I like a certain kind of music, I will listen to it. No matter if it is concidered "mainstream" or "underground." If I like it, I like it and there isn't a damn thing that anyone can say or do that could get me to change my mind. If the people around me can accept me for liking what I like, those are the types of people that I want to surround myself with. I grew out of that phase of changing who I was to try and fit in. I didn't want to be that person that I was becoming. Finding yourself and staying true to that is far more satisfying and liberating.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

That's the way it should be with music. I usually say "ugh, mainstream" when I'm talking about some of the stuff I hear on the radio or songs that my friends are listening to. That's usually the side of mainstream music that was made to be mainstream. Obviously all artists want to do well, but the best artists don't compromise their art for popularity, which is what the "ugh, mainstream" artists do. Linkin Park, Muse, Nine Inch Nails and a lot of other bands I listen to are pretty popular, and I don't care. In fact, I'm very glad they are. They make a good amount of money and a lot of people listen to their music, which I find pretty awesome.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

This is the thing about the Linkin Park fanbase that bugs me the most. How can a band be considered anything but mainstream when their debut album sells over 20 million copies? Linkin Park was so successful out of the gate because they took something that was really hot at the time, nu-metal, and added a pop sheen to it. There's a reason people routinely called them the "Backstreet Boys of metal" back in the day. If nothing else, those guys can write a mean hook. Pretentious goobers don't like to hear it, but Linkin Park has been and always will be pop as fuck. It's not a bad thing. Acting like they're above other kinds of music, however, is silly.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I agree. To nothing in particular. I just agree.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

This thread reminds me of something I recently read on twitter.

This is very applicable to music (or any art). You can have the same kind of intense personal feelings for something poppy as you can for something deeper and complex. You just have to make sure to acknowledge some simple truths about the music, like the lyrics are very simplistic or it's a simple 4 chord chorus song. It doesn't mean you have to care. It also shouldn't surprise you if someone else does.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Anything by Mr. Bungle, Angel Dust and King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime by Faith No More, Demon Days and Plastic Beach by Gorillaz, Blue and No Disc by the Seatbelts, Rapid City Muscle Car and Susquehanna by Cherry Poppin' Daddies, The Archandroid by Janelle Monae, Stankonia, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below and Idlewild by OutKast, Li(f)e by Sage Francis, On the Corner and Bitches Brew by Miles Davis, White People by Handsome Boy Modeling School, Sandinista! by the Clash, Imaginary Sonicscape by Sigh, Sailing the Seas of Cheese by Primus, The New Danger by Mos Def, El Oso by Soul Coughing, Since I Left You by the Avalanches, The White Album by the Beatles, Post by Bjork, Whitey Ford Sings the Blues by Everlast, Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin, New Album by Boris, Kala by M.I.A, Radium Round by Waltari, Man on the Moon: The End of Day by Kid Cudi, Carnival Vol. II: Memoirs of an Immigrant by Wyclef Jean, Remain in Light by Talking Heads, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John, all four volumes of The Alchemy Index by Thrice, The Spirit of Apollo by N.A.S.A, Hot Sauce Committee Part Two by Beastie Boys, Electric Circus by Common, Spiral Walls Containing Autumns of Light by Divine Styler, Odelay by Beck, Profanation (Preparation for a Coming Darkness) by Praxis, Volume One by Fear of Pop, and The Outsider by DJ Shadow.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I feel like (and this is from what I see around me) is that people are losing variety in music. There are a few exceptions, but most of my friends listen to what's either on the radio or dubstep. And I'm okay with them having their own opinion for music, but any time I mention something about some "underground" band/song, I'm immediately put down. It's like everyone (well, not everyone) is no long genuinely choosing the music they listen to, instead they are just going with what's hot. This bugs me a lot since music is a way to express your personality.

Btw, I don't only listen to underground music, I still listen to some mainstream music.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

If the band had not been as successful as they were back in 2000, I would never perhaps never have heard their songs and become a fan.

Now more than ever, the line between "underground" or "independent" and "mainstream" could be considered nearly non-existent.

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

See I really don't like these threads. Sure, constructive criticism is great, but but after reading all these replies I just have a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not blaming one person in particular, but after this these responses make me feel like an idiot still liking this bad as much as I do.
    Of course this goes for everything, in media and pop-culture, if one person likes something, another person will not. And thats just fine, but I just hate it when the opposing argument digresses the subject in question in such a way (pointing out all its flaws, mistakes and weaknesses) it makes you feel embarrassed for liking it in the first place. Of course I shouldn't let this get to me. I should just shrug my shoulders and ignore it. Opinions are opinions not matter what, but sometimes some things linger and i wish it wouldn't go on an LP fansite of all places. Which in turn probably is one of the reasons I don't go on LPA forums as much as i used to.

Sorry, I don't wish to cause more offence, I just felt this should have been said.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I agree with what you're saying in general. Constructive criticism is usually helpful as long as it has a well-intended purpose. I have witnessed on numerous forums how conflicting views and opinions have clashed and what resulted, and it isn't pretty. As long as we are respectful of everyone's opinions, meaning not attacking them in any way, we should get along with one another. That said, some opinions appear to be stronger than others, so care is needed when having discussions like these.

Blackee Dammet

Nothing nearly as negative as what either of you are describing has yet to happen.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    mastae

mastae Some Honky

While I enjoy Linkin Park's music, I can see why the majority of it, from a musical standpoint isn't anything groundbreaking. That being said, Linkin Park knows they can do better than Living Things.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Maybe I'm just not as experienced with music, but I consider the melding of metal and rap/hip-hop with a touch of electronic rock and sampling to be somewhat groundbreaking. I can't say that I have ever heard a band that's exactly like Linkin Park with their music. What I mean is that I have yet to hear a band that adds so much detail to their music and can seamlessly layer various sounds on top of one another. The band that, to me, comes closest to LP's overall sound is Red. Red, however, usually takes a more orchestral approach to their music and does not feature any rapping. In regards to the original topic, I would really like to see Linkin Park return to what they have mastered over the years but add a fresh, new twist, as they always do. I just can't get into EDM or Dubstep no matter how much I hear it. I really hope Mike has something very special in store for us since he stressed the point that rock music in general needs more innovation.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

wow
    such music
    much knowledge
    wow
    wow

Blackee Dammet

He was asked to do it.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I'll keep this short and sweet:

As my musical tastes have expanded over time, I have tempered my expectations of the band. My list of wants has declined significantly. Today, all I want is a mixture of 1) up-tempo rock songs perfect for driving or running and 2) power ballads that are catchy and fun to sing along to. I don't connect emotionally with the lyrics anymore; I just don't want them to be cheesy and cringe-worthy. You give me those two things and I won't complain about formulaic song structures or power-chords. Other bands can fill the void.