Linkin Park Six

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by EastGhost, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Eh, it isn't for everyone, but personally I'm really interested in hearing LP going a more orchestral-at-the-forefront route for a song. :lol:

2. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

You mean something like Krwlng?

3. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

It doesn't matter what they sound.

What really matters, though, is their lyrics. They really need to work on their lyrics.

4. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I don't know if you're serious, but I don't think the lyrics are much of an issue. As long as the music and songwriting is good, they can be singing about whatever they want for all I care.

5. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't really pay that much attention to the lyrics. I'm sure if I did I'd say they were mediocre, but I just care about the music.

6. Lotus Flower

Lotus Flower Well-Known Member

It could also be overblown and pretentious.

7. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

+1. Personally, one think that i think LP has improved upon since their debute was their lyrics. I personally aren't that bothered with them as much as some as I feel that its the music that's the forefront of why I like the band, but without a shadow of a doubt i can say that the lyrics of the majority of ATS and some of LT are superior than HT & Met.

Compare BITS to OSC. Both great songs, but you can clearly see the maturity in terms of songwrtiting.

8. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

That would be interesting. I know were just doing like fantasy shit, but I don't know how compatible he would be with mike.

9. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Yeah... just a pipe dream. It sounds great in my head, but in reality, it wouldn't be too great. It always good to dream though. :)

10. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Dream Big!

11. TheZlajaZlo

It's best when you have both... But when I listen the music, I focus on the music as a whole and the way it sounds, and then I analyze the lyrics and words...
    But lately most of LP's lyrics have been so abstract, that I don't even bother to deconstruct them, and therefore I don't feel the connection with the songs.

12. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Same here. Although I don't really analyze them, I just don't feel the need to :lol:

13. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because we're not native English speakers. I can totally ignore English lyrics but a native speaker can not help but hear it.

14. TheZlajaZlo

It seems to me that you understand English just fine... :)

15. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Exactly.

He does, but that's not the point. In your mother tongue, it's easier to recognize weird/bad lyrics, simply because, as a native speaker, you understand the language better than anyone with a different native tongue ever could.

16. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

This, all of it.

Of course we do, but for some reason when as far as songs is concerned we can somehow "mute" the lyrics and it becomes some sort of yadda-yadda with melodies and flow (in case of raps).. I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about xD :lol:.

As for myself, I'm pretty fluent in written language but I can't figure out song lyrics by ear to save my life. I really need to work on that.

17. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Well first of all, my native language is English so my point of view is a bit different. But when I listen to songs, my main focus is the vocals and lyrics. Do the vocals sound good, and do the lyrics mean anything to me. Sure the music in general has to sound good for me to listen to it, but I'm in it for the lyrics. That may be because of my depression, and I'm just trying to find something that will... inspire me to keep living. I've always liked Linkin Park because of their lyrics, especially with the more recent albums.

18. Quack

Quack Well-Known Member

My view on LP's lyrics: #StillBetterThanRackCity

19. Brandon Torio

Brandon Torio Well-Known Member

Lyrics are a HUGE part of what makes LP good for me. All their songs are really vague, and I like them. I don't enjoy songs as much when they reference a "she" or a name, phone call, club, place, etc. LP's lyrics can be interpreted so many ways, so the songs can be listened to often. In The End, Numb, What I've done, have great lyrics, which is what really made them hits. Anyone can relate. And lines like "I will never be anything til I break away from me" make workouts 20X more epic lol.
    Lyric-wise, I like when they are really abstract like CoG or BITS. But I can also appreciate the simple stuff like OSC, when I want to just rock out. I think if they ever want another hit like ITE though, Mike needs to rap more like Hybrid Theory/Meteora, because his LITE/LGM/WaK verses are so complex that they don't leave an impression like "time is a valuable thing" type lines.

20. Lotus Flower

Lotus Flower Well-Known Member

I've always liked LP's lyrics. Well Hybrid Theory and Meteora had really adolescent lyrics, so you have to accept those for what they are. But even those have some great lyrics, like Papercut and Breaking the Habit. And MTM and beyond they only get better and better. I was disappointed in Living Things overall, but even that had some great lyrics.

The lyrics in LP's later albums tend to be more abstract, but that's basically the case for all my favorite bands, so I'm used to it.