Notification feature

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Agent, Sep 24, 2013.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Can we have a little notification feature that lights up whenever someone gets quoted? And you can directly navigate there without searching whole threads. Could be a nifty little feature.

Thoughts?

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

This is a good idea. Also an expanded notifications feature where it displays what was said.

Example. If someone quotes me, I get a notification saying the person has quoted me. And if I'm offline, I get the same notification when I return but I can be taken to the exact post where the person has quoted me.

Also maybe something like tags, inside of replies. Like if someone wrote **//Username\\** during a post it would alert that the person has been mentioned? Probably a lot to ask but it'd be neat.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Yes please.

And I'll just use this thread: an option to view only your posts in a certain thread would be awesome.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I forgot but there is a plugin for Chrome that sort of does this. Tapatalk notifier. It notifies you when someone replies to a thread you have posted in. It's for PC and works on just about any forum. It's not like the mobile app where you manage and post all within the app, it just notifies you of the quote and links you to it.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

We wouldn't mind doing this for you guys but I'll be the first to say we'd have no idea on how to code it. If you guys can find a vbulletin mod for it we can certainly look into it. Thanks!

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

You can do that. On the top right of the first post on every page, there's an option labeled "Search Thread". Do "Advanced Search" and type in the user's exact name.

Just a random question: why doesn't the Shoutbox Archive save pages in chronological order? That way, the most recent page would always be the largest number and the pages themselves would never change numbers.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

For the notifications, maybe give this one a go? Comments seem to indicate that it will work with 4.2.0.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'd like notifications just for when anything happens in a thread that I'm subscribed to ... but notifications which don't come to me via email.

hawk

Unfortunately, that would likely clog the hell out of your inbox especially for popular threads such as Random Thoughts and what-not.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah ... but anyone who's gonna subscribe to a thread like "What Song Are You Listening To?" pretty much has it coming, as far as I'm concerned. :sleep:

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Awesome! Thank you!

hawk

Maybe even just enough subscriptions to minor threads could cause a clog? I don't know. Knowing you, you'd be on top of that anyway. :)

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Would definitely be a nice touch. I'm not sure if there's any vBulletin plug-ins out there with this functionality, though. We'll have to look into it.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Getting an email when someone posts in a thread you subscribed to? No plugin needed.

Just go to settings --> general settings --> Default Thread Subscription Mode. Select "Instantly, using email"
    To subscribe to a thread, just go to the top of the thread, click Thread Tools and select "Subscribe to this thread.."

Havn't tested it, but should work.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I am in another vbulletin forum and I get notifications (non email) when I receive "likes" (yep, they have those) and when someone quotes me. If LPA is really interested in it I might try and ask for it, as I am a mod there. It's a really useful feature especially when the threads have high flow (pre album cycles for example)

[​IMG]

EDIT: I must clarify this notification system is NOT thread selective. You will be notified (visually, the area is highlighted in a different colour depending on skin) and by clicking it you'll be taken into an "inbox" where you can select to jump to the posts you've been quoted in.

[thumb]http://imageshack.com/a/img29/2087/fmjo.png[/thumb]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

This would be great, yeah. Also I would love a Shoutbox search option (this has been mentioned in a SB conversation before). Kevin also mentioned the alternative of displaying the entire Shoutbox on one page, so you could do a Ctrl+F search.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

As you said I mentioned this, but that would result in a page with over ... *quick math* 1,136,685 shouts.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

So you mean it would load slowly?

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

This sounds good.

Todd, where you at? :lol:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I'm here :lol:

I can try to work on that.