The Nine Inch Nails thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Brandon, May 28, 2013.

1. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Got my copy of the Deluxe edition today, time to listen to this shit again + the tasty extras. Fuck yeah!

2. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Damn, I hadn't payed attention to the last update of the thread title. Great ahah!

And also, concerning the album, I've noticed that I enjoy Copy of A and Came Back Haunted way more in the context of the record. It might be because of the hype around HM, but even then. I wasn't even a big fan of both tracks when they surfaced, and now I enjoy them as much as the others. Those 2 have definitely grown on me a ton!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  3. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Question, on which of the two discs is the interview with Trent? I can't find it, ghah!

4. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

The interview isn't on either of my CDs as well. I could have sworn we were supposed to get it...

5. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Yeah, it says that the deluxe version comes with the interview.. strange.

6. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It's on the Deluxe iTunes version unfortunately.

7. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Jelaous.

Jelaous.

8. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Welp I've avoided the leaks like plague and went and got my copy today and I have to say I'm on the bandwagon. Great album. The only thing I on't like is "Everything." I honestly don't understand how this is supposed to fit in with the rest of the album. Kind of a shit track IMO.

9. Qwerty19

I agree that "Everything" feels very out of place, and that on almost every aspect :lol: The overal sound is way happier than the rest of the album, Trent's vocals seems to be mixed more loud than in other tracks, and the instrumentation is also very different, much more organic.

Still love it though, so I'm glad it was included!

10. Minus

Everything is a very sarcastic track. If you study the lyrics, there's a clear note of doubt from the protagonist (Trent) that he's in fact free of his addiction. In context of the story, it fits in rather nicely.

11. Qwerty19

Ah yes, in that regards it makes more sense!

I'll admit that I've not looked deep into the lyrics from the record yet.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  12. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Ya I'll have to look deeper into as well. I've had it in the car with me all day. Haven't really looked at the booklet yet.

13. Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Exactly. I would compare it more to a manic being on a high than true "happiness". He survived but did he really make it through intact? He feels like he did but "this thing that lives inside of me will sure rise and wake." He's not really that optimistic. And I love that it comes after Disappointed which is a total "I told you so" pity party.

"Look, you're so disappointed but what did you expect? Wait come back see I'm okay I survived, kinda!" The ending lyrics feel like the main character is sinking back into his addiction. He's home.

Also:

1) Everything (and Satellite) were created for a Greatest Hits album he owed Interscope. These songs kicked off the urge to write a new album. While the song fits in to the album I also think it definitely makes sense as the "new song" artists throw in on their GH albums. Especially with the reference to trying everything and the Wave Goodbye tour.

14. Minus

From the man himself regarding Everything:

"Yeah, I meant that song to feel kind of absurd. You know, it's an arrogant, bold statement that might appear defiant but is actually, in my opinion, kind of self-destructive. And by the end of the song, when it doesn't resolve as nice and rosy with me running through a field of dandelions, clouds come over and there's a sense of getting what you asked for."

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/04/218961237/trent-reznor-im-not-the-same-person-i-was-20-years-ago

15. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Great interview.

16. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

So sad for what happened at Pukkelpop here in Belgium, the festival he's talking about. He truly was misplaced on that day, right before Eminem. A lot of people just went to the festival that day for Eminem. NIN should've been the main act on a different day. He keeps repeating his experience from that festival in various interviews, so it really had an impact. Hopefully that doesn't stop him from coming back here.

17. Minus

Welp.

[thumb]http://i.imgur.com/cw3YmnX.jpg[/thumb]

18. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Well it looks to probably be his best rated album among critics so far. Though that's not saying much since none of his albums have been rated that well by critics.

This album is still hitting my sweet spot. It's real nice.

19. Minus

What are you smoking? NIN albums have praise all across the board.

Queuing up the "critical reception" sections for each major NIN release:

"Pretty Hate Machine was well received by contemporary music critics."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Hate_Machine#Critical_reception

(there's a lack of critic comment in this section for Broken, but the stars are generally favorable)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_(EP)

"The Downward Spiral was well received by critics."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Downward_Spiral#Reception

"The Fragile received generally positive reviews from contemporary music critics."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fragile_(Nine_Inch_Nails_album)#Critical_response

And for the '00 era albums, here is Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/person/nine-inch-nails

Going off of Metacritic, HM is tied with Year Zero and lower than The Slip.

20. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

So an overall in the 70s is good on there for music? For movies it basically means it's solid, but that's it.

I meant to say not rated as well as they should be. Being 'generally favorable' on some of the best albums ever made is a pretty shitty rating. And the 70s ratings on Metacritic seemed to back that up.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013