What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I said that I wasn't expecting story, just that the action didn't impress me. The Mad Dog fight was one of the scenes that really got my attention, though.

Maybe I just can't appreciate action like this. :shrug:

2. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

As much as I love the action scenes and the music, I felt The Raid was kinda so-so. It lacked character development, as it severely lacked anything except for action. I know the whole point of the movie is to be an action movie, but it was relentless in action that I didn't really care about the story nor the characters anymore. It was way too formulaic for me.

3. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

The Raid was the most realistic action movie I've seen. It made you feel like you were a part of the movie. The adrenaline I had while watching was crazy. It was a very satisfying movie. Critiquing it for not having enough character development is like critiquing Michael Jordan for not being good enough at baseball.

4. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

2 Guns

DO NOT SEE. Most predictable movie I've ever seen, and the trailer ruins the main plot twist (which you could see coming a mile away too). Tries too hard to be funny and comes off corny and forced. Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington couldn't even save this movie. Just awful. 3/10.

5. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

The Conspiracy - 3.5/5

A found footage/mockumentary style movie about conspiracy theories. If you've ever read about/believed in any conspiracy theories you'll probably enjoy this because you'll recognize a lot of what's being talked about. It's fairly thrilling with some very tense moments. I brought it down from a 4 because the ending seems to negate a lot of the rest of the movie. But maybe that's the point.

6. mastae

mastae Some Honky

Black Dynamite - 3/5 - It's kind of like the black version of Kung Pow. It's not as good as Kung Pow, but still pretty hilarious in the "that's so stupid" parody kind of way.

7. Michael Di Lonardo

Michael Di Lonardo Member

Despicable Me 2 - 4.5/5

I love the sort of immature side to it. Its silly, playful, and I have to say the animations were done really well. Making movies like this ridiculously harder than some people might think. I know 4.5 might seem like a lot, but every time my family, friends and I hear the voices from the minion, it just makes us chuckle. Very entertaining I find, its a great movie to sit back, relax, and just enjoy your time. But I have to say it again, the 3D designing and animation were done so well, priceless.

8. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Olympus Has Fallen, B+. This movie was pretty badass and a lot of fun, I must say. Enjoyed it must more than I thought I would. The action scenes were top.

Drinking Buddies, A. I owe watching this one to Nick from New Girl. Damn, this movie was really good. Didn't really know what to expect but I loved it ...

9. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Damn, I was really looking forward to that movie. That sucks.

10. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

It has 60% on Rotten, though.

~

Cloud Atlas (2012) - Woah, it's finally over! Well, this was definitely something I've never experienced before. It's 6 different films that all tie up together – 6 films, with elements of drama, action, thriller, even comedy – spread across 6 periods in our history. It was simply grande. Also, Doona Bae is the cutest thing ever. 9/10

Thank you, Ryan, for recommending! :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  11. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

The End of Evangelion - 7/10

What a mindfuck. What the fuck..

[​IMG]

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - 7/10

A step down from Abrams' Mission Impossible: III, and includes the worst villain in the series; no more than a cardboard cutout. Despite the flick's string of flaws, Ghost Protocol was a very fun ride.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  12. mastae

mastae Some Honky

I think I'm the only person who didn't like Cloud Atlas. Maybe if someone explained it to me better, I'd have a better appreciation for it. To me, it felt like 6 separate stories (I know it was a book beforehand) and they didn't know how to tie any of them together so they just said, "because reincarnation" and added inspiring music underneath it. It felt like the film was telling me how to feel.

13. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

The official synopsis for the film reads that Cloud Atlas is an exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution. For me, that's enough.

14. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Glad you liked it! :)

My interpretation of it was basically what Rob said, plus a little bit more.

15. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Go on wikipedia and read the synopsis. Once you get a grasp of the plot, I think you may like the film much more

16. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Suspiria (1977) - 5/5 - Amazing! Starting from the score, the lighting, the direction, the suspense right down to the creepy atmosphere!

17. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Great film. One of the few horror films that can genuinely be called beautiful. It's like watching a fever dream.

18. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Oblivion (2013) - 6,5/10

Some moments were unnecessary, but the concept is great (and the world looked interesting), there's solid acting and great visuals.

I feel like they could've done way more with this, but all in all, I enjoyed the movie. I began watching without any knowledge of the plot so that made the movie (and the plottwists, even though predictable) a bit more exciting to me. Also, that song during the end credits!

So yeah, a lot of people might disagree with me, but I found the movie to be entertaining.

A Few Good Men (1992) - 8,5/10

Very solid acting, great characters and a very engaging story! Be prepared for lots of talking, though :lol: Great movie all around, definitely a must-watch if you're into "court movies".

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  19. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Exactly! The lighting the movie was brilliant, so were the set pieces.

20. mastae

mastae Some Honky

Fruitvale Station - 0/5 - The film shows you how it ends at the start and even though this can be done tastefully (Melancholia), Fruitvale Station spends the rest of it's hour and a half trying to force you to be sad about the conclusion instead of actually telling a story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.