Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Agent, Jul 15, 2013.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I wouldn't say there was a turning point, but from what I remember (last watched the show maybe about a year ago, maybe just under that) she eventually just started getting on my nerves.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

I don't get and will never get people who say Skyler is a bitch, what she does and how she reacts is EXACTLY how anyone would react to the situation, even the "divorce me but no" part, it's just like an abusive relationship, I don't get what makes people think that she's annoying, how in the fuck's name could she be annoying?
    Walt's the one doing complete disasters here, not her.

I Like Cheese

I Like Cheese Well-Known Member

I've never seen Breaking Bad. This is my perception of it.

[video=youtube;zIom3LSbB0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIom3LSbB0I[/video]

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

To lead credence to this, I saw photos of Jesse SPOILER Aaron Paul showed up with a much full beard, as it states in the summary. *end spoiler*

Please do!

Yes!

I agree with Vince, I don't see any reason to hate Skylar and I agree that a lot of people that despise her speak in very misogynistic tones. I have been an adamant defender of her for a long time.

To witness and go through all she's had to, I'd find myself facing similar reactions. I can see why she did what she did. Relationships are about trust, and I think numerous murders, arrogance, and plain banality far outweigh anything she has done.

Wow, she is not happy that Walt lies to her, and treats her like shit, and wow, she fucked Ted. So what? Walt lies, skeeves, murders, steals, costs numerous people lots of money, and has made friends/family/acquaintances accessories to criminal activity unbeknownst to them, to top that off he is an asshole. People call her a bitch because she tries to tell Walt what not to do, guess what, I would too. If it puts people I care about a risk, fuck him. Let him rot. I hope it ends bad for him, and I think death is too kind an end for him too.

hawk

I don't know how anyone is supposed to dislike Walter, and support Skylar. I don't think that's how television works.

Plus, if Skylar is the voice of mortality, then why the hell didn't she try to expose or stop Walter, rather then "join" him?

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

You can't think a character is a bastard, but also want the show to continue?

I want Hank to get off the toilet and shoot Walt in the face. But I also love watching Walt do his thing. Of course television can work that way. That's what a good villain is.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

You're suppose to hate Walt. He's Mr. Chips become the Devil. You can hate him and enjoy the show. I hate Dexter, Hannibal, Lord Tywin and Marlo as people (not breaking bad related) yet all of their characters were great and made for good TV.

Geki

Geki >.

All of this discussion aside, today, I think I honestly found out how I believe Breaking Bad will end. Walt's original objective ultimately ever since the first episode was too be able to leave behind enough money for his family when he dies. We all know that Walt has made so much money now that they have to rent out a storage space just to contain it somewhere, and that Walt has changed drastically from what he used to be. I honestly believe that in the end, Walt will be alone without his family (they will die), and he will still die of cancer, that would be Walt's worst nightmare.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Skylar is a bitch because she's manipulative towards her family. Walt isn't. Walt manipulates other people in order to help his family. This is why he is considered evil yet you can sympathize with him or even root for him. Skylar hasn't hurt anyone, isn't evil, yet you can't sympathize with her because she fucks Ted to try and break up the family and then tries to take the kids away when that doesn't work. She's a total bitch to the person who is doing everything he can to help the family.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

People hate female characters in TV shows... I don't know why but it's a give. I completely disagree with what travz21 is saying. Can you first put yourself in her situation? Like someone else said, she did exactly what anyone would do in her place. Yeah she fucked Ted and whatnot but all the characters in this show are flawed to a degree. Hell, my head would burst if I had to keep a secret that big! I can totally see how anyone in Skylar's place would react the way she did. Also, you have to feel bad for her in that 'swimming pool' episode.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Why would you feel bad for her? She's making it look like she's having a mental breakdown in order for Hank and Marie to take the kids away. She then later says that she hopes Walt dies from his cancer.

I mean for fuck's sake, Hank has been in way more danger than Walt as far as Skylar knows, and she still wants to send the kids to his house.

Yeah it's an absurd secret to have the burden of carrying around, but the most action she's seen is Walt bringing her money. There's no danger, no drama, and not even any drugs that she comes in contact with. She just has an extreme desire to fuck with Walt and get him out of the family even before she knew that he blew up Fring.

And I like quite a few female characters in TV. Even on Breaking Bad. Lydia is a pretty great character. It's just that most shows write women very stereotypically. Skylar fits that bill.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    Agent

Oh c'mon now! Any wife in her shoes would be scared stiff and would do anything get her kids away from all the craziness. Sure she hasn't seen the drug and whatnot, but that doesn't mean she doesn't know Walt is dealing with dangerous people. There were number of times Walt almost put them in danger. And what about all the lies Walt told her over the course of all the seasons? How exactly would you want her to react?

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

This is a laughable quote considering how much you say you love season 5.

The entire point of Walt's conversation with Jesse in the episode "Buyout" is to show how big Walt's ego has ALWAYS been. When he talks about being in the empire business? When he talks about how he checks Grey Matter's net worth every week? Walt saw the meth business as an opportunity for HIMSELF to make up for past failures. When he turned down Gretchen's offer to pay for his treatments, he chose building a drug empire over his family. "Providing for his family" in the form of leaving them a bunch of money is only a side effect of what he really wants, which is to build something great for himself.

His brother-in-law has 3 different run-ins with the Cartel in the first 3 seasons (2 were Walt's fault, 1 was not). Walt, a couple times, was found with injuries to his face. You think Skyler couldn't put two and two together? Walt was clearly involved with violent, dangerous people. And you say there was "no danger, no drama"? Walt brought the attention of the Mexican drug cartel to his home twice. Where his children sleep. If anyone other than Walt had been home when the cousins showed up, they'd be dead. His home is also regularly spied on by watch dogs for Gus's drug network, via bugs and people in person.

Between Walt and Skyler, Skyler is the only one who doesn't manipulate her family. Walt does shit like buying his son a nice car to look like a great dad, and Skyler knows full well that doing so could bring unwanted attention, which could mean the police, which would mean ruining the family.

When Skyler has her big "SHUT UP" breakdown, Marie is worried about her and talks to Walt (I believe this is in the episode Hazard Pay). We as the viewer know that Skyler had a breakdown due to stress about living with a drug dealing manipulative murderer, but Walt plays Marie and tells her it was because she felt guilty over the affair.

Marie then HUGS WALT, as if somehow HE is the victim here! The subtle smirk on Walt's face is one of the creepiest/evil expressions I've ever seen.

So, really? Walt doesn't manipulate his family? Walt manipulates anyone he can. He uses his son and in-laws and tries to turn them against Skyler, all because she wants to protect her family from the dangers of a drug empire.

Agent

^ Xero you completely nailed it! The hugging/smirk thing you mentioned truly sent chills down my spine... and that's what I love about this show. It portrays the hero as not being a hero at all, but at the same time makes you want to root for him.

Geki

Geki >.

Honestly, I love Walt, but I know deep down that I should not love him as a character because he is a bad person. There is no denying that. Maybe in the first season or so, he wasn't as bad of a person, but it quickly escalated. I don't think he is a bad person because he cooks and distributes crystal meth. I think he is a bad person because he is lying to his entire family, he has used a child to get what he wanted (brock), he watched Jane choke and die on her own vomit, he has killed numerous people (even though he kind of had to for his well being) and because he is manipulating Jesse and Hank badly. I thought it was bad when Walt pretended to have family issues in Season 5 and went to Hank's office all the time so he could put a sound tracking device to spy on his brother in law, I thought that was shitty to do. Does anyone remember the scene in Season 3 when Jesse is in the hospital after Hank beat the shit out of him? He won an Emmy for this scene. The one where he tells Walt that he was nothing, no one, and he has never felt more alone, and it was Walt's fault. While Walt is not entirely to blame for this, he can be blamed for a lot of it honestly. Walt is not a good person, and he no longer has much emotion for anything. In Season 5, he also watched Todd pull out a gun and shoot and kill a 14 year old boy for almost no reason, and he didn't care much. Skyler has a reason to hate Walt, she is the only one in her family who knows who Walt is, besides Hank's realization in the last episode of Season 5. I do not like Skyler, but I can see why she hates Walt so much honestly.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

That's the beauty of this show. They make you feel sorry for Walt at the beginning. You actively root for him. But as he becomes more and more caught up in the Meth game, and as his cancer goes away, he does more and more things that make you question your support for him.

While Walt has done some unspeakable things, the one thing that remains for me is the respect I have for his cunning and intelligence. The man is a genius, how can you not marvel at what he has amassed and accomplished in such a short amount of time? So despite the horrible things he has done, I still respect him. It's so conflicting.

The transformation that Walt has undertaken is probably the most fascinating of any TV character in history.

Geki

Geki >.

I agree with you on this as well. I actually love Walt as a character. He is awesome. I was just saying that I could understand why Skyler would hate Walt. But yes, his probably is the greatest transformation on TV, ever. It's such a great show, especially if you pay attention to all the details and underlying themes and stuff like that. A lot of people just like straight up action shows, while I prefer shows like Breaking Bad, which has a mix of everything. I used to like Dexter, but I honestly pretty much hated Seasons 5-7 and I only watched the first episode of Season 8 and decided that I am done with it. Breaking Bad ftw. Has anyone read the episode titles and mini-summaries? I know that the episode summaries never tell much about what happens in the episode, but I think we could kind of guess some things from them.

Blood Money - Hank will obviously know who Walt really is in this episode, because of the cliffhanger from the last episode. The title is interesting, though. It says that Walt and Jesse adjust to life outside of the business, so maybe it means they are having issues not making money, or they somewhat regret making money the way that they did, this is where the title could come from.

Buried - Skyler's past catches up with her... Hmm.. Maybe she feels guilty for sleeping with Ted and saying the things she did to Walt, or maybe she is beginning to realize more and more that she made the wrong choice by helping Walt for all this time. Jesse continues to struggle with his guilt, it says. Maybe that confirms what I wrote above for Blood Money, that Jesse feels bad about doing the things he has done.

Confessions - When I first saw this title, I instantly thought that Walt will ''confess'' to Jesse about watching Jane die, poisoning Brock and killing Mike. But I am not so sure with the description they gave. It says that Jesse decides to make a change, maybe this could be that his change is that he wants to either turn Walt in, or kill him, because the guilt has caught up with him finally. Walt and Skyler deal with an unexpected demand, I have no idea what that could mean honestly. Maybe Hank or the DEA are pressuring them or something.

Rabid Dog - This one seems very interesting. '' An unusual strategy starts to bear fruit, while plans are set in motion that could change everything''. I think this will be the episode in which things get absolutely crazy. Plans are set in motion that could change everything, I am thinking maybe Walt has to make a huge decision, maybe he is being forced to do something, or forced to move, etc.

To'hajiilee - ''Things heat up for Walt in unexpected ways''. I think that something huge will happen in this episode, something that will secure Walt's fate. Maybe the cancer has returned, that would be unexpected. Maybe someone close to Walt dies, that would be unexpected, etc...

Ozymandias - ''Everyone copes with radically changed circumstances''. When I first read this, I thought that maybe Walt and/or his family are in hiding, or on the run, something definitely happens in this episode that is polarizing.

Granite State - ''Events set in motion long ago move toward a conclusion''. The Granite State is New Hampshire. This is very interesting. The event that was set in motion long ago, could very well be the scene from the first episode of Season 5. Walt was seen alone, with a very different appearance (didn't even look like Walt to me honestly), and he had a New Hampshire license plate on his volvo (which he never had previously owned a volvo, Gus did) and a New Hampshire license which read ''Lambert'' for his last name. Very interesting, because Lambert is Skyler and Marie's maiden name. Lawson, who supplied Walt a gun in a previous season, is seen trading a set of keys for a large chunk of cash. Walt also is coughing again and taking pills, which gives me reason to believe his cancer has returned. He uses the keys to unlock a trunk of a car in the parking lot, which contains a very large gun, I think it was a machine gun. Now, who is this gun for?? Walt's fate will definitely be finalized in this episode, I think this could be the greatest episode of Breaking Bad of all time just based on the info above..

Felina - The series finale, that is all the info we have. Probably because they didn't want to give any clues at all about the ending. Therefore, I have no idea how it will end or anything about this episode. Vince Gilligan, Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston apparently cried during this episode, so I assume it will be absolutely amazing...

hawk

This is a television show, I couldn't give a fuck about morals. I just want Walt and Jesse to kick ass, and Hank be a badass.

Geki

Geki >.

Well, I am sure you will be in for a treat then. The cast has stated numerous times that each of the next 8 episodes are fully action packed with tons of violence and blood. They have also said that it feels like one big episode because there is no time to breath in between any of it, since they are all so action packed. : ]

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;31Voz1H40zI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Voz1H40zI[/video]

Because I'd totally want my kids to be around the guy that goes on the rant that outright brags about being the man holding the gun.