Does fake fans annoy you?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Mark_LP, Apr 2, 2013.

Mark_LP

Mark_LP in my fear and flaws..i let myself down again

does it annoy you when people who've only heard, say for example: In the End, Numb, OSC' say they are big fans of the band? this doesn't have to refer to LP, any band!
    It can annoy me, I obviously encourage people to listen to LP. but when they say they're a massive fan after hearing the most known songs of a band, thats when it starts to annoy me :dafuq:

so what d'you think?

Edit: realized terrible grammar in thread title :facepalm:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I can't say that I really have any issue with that. I considered myself a huge Linkin Park fan back when I knew nothing about the band but listened to nothing but "Hybrid Theory" for years because I loved it so, so much.

To me, just personally, it's not about how much you know or how much of it you like and/or own but simply how much you like what you do like and how much it means to you. :)

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

This. You can be a person who is fully engrossed in a band, have every album and single in every format as well as being a member of a fanclub from the start of it, yet you are still as much of a fan as the person who doesn't have all of that stuff. Being a fan of anything should be a personal thing. Being a fan of something should not rank upon a status quo about how much more important you think you or someone else is as a fan. Artists genuinely appreciate any type of fan they come across because they realized that they've struck a nerve with that person; including the casual fan.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I think Mike talks about fandom in his blog, and says pretty much what Hybrid said.

snailharvest

snailharvest nice

This and the thing you quoted. There are no 'fake' or 'true' fans, if you are a fan (big or just a little bit) then you are a fan. That's all there is too it.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

That's pretty much the way it should be. i mean who are we to dictate who likes what better because you've heard more songs than someone else?

Though in fairness, i have been guilty of this as I've often in the past had running battles with my other LP mates with such sillyness like: "I like em more than you, i have every track they've released, I've seen em live and I have more scrobbles on last.fm than you do." :leak:but in the end of the day it does matter at all. You even could love just one song by any band and you'd still be a fan.

Andreina

I think the 'true fandom' lies more on the sport side rather than music, because sports teams go though good and bad times and music is just music, you may like ir or not and that's it

Hybrid

There is a grey area there with some artists and bands. Artists and bands go through periods where you may not like or agree with what they are doing. Some artists or bands find their niche and stick with it. Others push the envelopes and it is sometimes hard to stay loyal to them.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Why can't people just be fans of bands without having to turn it into a competition of who's the bigger/more devoted fan?

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I think bandwagoning is definitely one of my biggest pet peeves, and I hope they all burn in hell.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I think the main reason we might get upset at people who say "OMG I LOVE LINKIN PARK! NUMB, NEW DIVIDE AND BURN IT DOWN ARE THE GREATEST SONGS EVER!!!!! :NOKAPPA:" is that we know there is more to Linkin Park than Numb, New Divide and Burn It Down.

Basically put, they only like a small piece of a larger picture, and because they don't like the full picture (or truthfully don't care enough) is why a fan might get upset at a casual fan.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Not really. What bothers me more is the fans that continue bitching about Linkin Park sucking now and wanting them to go back to Nu-Metal. I'd like to take them all out "like an army falling one by one by one". :trollface:

Andreina

/endofthread.

Well said, there. I think this pretty much explains the core of the situation.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

I only know the singles.

:trollface:

Hybrid

To play devils advocate, why should a fan ever get mad at another fan for being ignorant? Maybe its because I don't care what level of fandom anyone has, but some people don't get as invested in music as others. I'm actually okay with that.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

:bookread: What is "the full picture", though? Who is privy to it?

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Maybe I could have worded it differently. I meant "upset" more in the lines of just being annoyed. I wouldn't rage hardcore at someone for not wanting to listen to a full album, just punch them straight in the face be annoyed with them. You know, right? :p

The band as a whole would be the "full picture"; three songs can't represent a band in full. Someone who has given a majority of an artist's music has been exposed to the "full picture", in a sense.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Because unfortunately we live in a society bent on whipping it out trying to prove who has the bigger dick. Personally, if the only thing the person knows about Linkin Park are the singles, then more power to them. Sure, they would benefit from knowing more about the band's music besides all the singles, but what it comes down to is what the person is interested in the most.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I've been asking this question for a long time. LP honestly has one of the most cannibalistic fanbases out there.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

People who subscribe to the belief that there are such things as fake fans annoy me.