The End of LP

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by ChuckCheese, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

My feelings exactly.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

This sums up the feeling I was having when writing my last post. LP has done a ton of great things, and things for me that I can't help but feel a little backstabby for saying. I just feel like the stuff they did then, even the commercial stuff like the DC clientèle Mike Shinoda remix shoe, was more representative of the band. Mike drew on that shoe, in the soles, and his personal style is embedded in it. (Soul in the soles, yeah). I appreciated that, even if it wasn't music. The stuff they do now is stuff created by other people and then a LP logo or a song is on it..... and its supposed to make it special somehow? 100+ dollars pl0x.

Maybe we shouldn't feel so bad though, because we as a group put so much effort into the band in the past when they were putting that much effort into us. We were also being a two way street back then. Guilt from the past is no foundation for a relationship. We shouldn't feel indebted, especially since they are treating us like a business........ and business is business.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

I think what the band sorely needs right now is a hiatus. I don't think they really know what they're doing with band. They need a break to think about what they want in the future. And then when they're ready, they'll come out with some real non-commercial music. After all, it's better getting a really good album after a few years of waiting than getting half heartedly made albums year after year.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I can't even begin to pull my thoughts on this together. I definitely feel my emotion investment in the band fading. Which sucks, cause 9 years ago, and even 2 years ago, these guys were the end all be all. But this album really damaged that. I don't want to jump off the wagon here after one cycle so I'll see what the future has to offer. But the whole 18 month thing needs to go away. I'm gonna need a much more substantial album to stay on board. I would like to see all the cross promotion go away. I think that really cheapened the music. That's probably the biggest thing. Keep the band's hands to itself.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Come on guys, just because their last album was a little bit "meh", doesn't mean anything.
    Clearly Living Things was made just to satisfy the record label... And let's not forget that they are owned by WB. And they're WB's biggest cash cow. Of course that their name is going to be on every product possible from Transformers to shoes. Let's be honest, they were always product of a record label (except for ATS and maybe MTM)...
    HT had mainstream producer and one of the best mixers in the world...And it had the best production at that time. To me they were something like a metal boy at that time and it worked.
    Meteora - we all know the story behind this...
    MTM and ATS - they got their freedom by this point, but I bet that WB wasn't very happy with it.
    LT- maybe it was rushed because LP want to get out of WB contract, maybe something else. I don't know... But it certainly wasn't a honest record that LP wanted to make.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

This has the greatest, most dramatic thread name ever.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I don't want to say something here on this thread, i have to hold my judges to the band. i think we have to wait what the future of the band may go.. we are not psychics to discuss the future of the band..

Suffered

Suffered All we need is faith

Yeah, the LT album cycle sucked, (and the most of the album) but the band still has potential. They just need freedom, they need to go away from these Transformers/EA and all these collaborations, go independent, and do a 2-3 years break. Yes, I was dissapointed by Living Things and about the whole album cycle but still, if they could make album cycles like the MTM or ATS ones, than they still can. I love this band, and one bad album cycle didn't made me hate the band. I was just dissapointed after ATS.
    EDIT: They made song like TLTGYA, LOATR and ATS as a whole. And then they made Burn It Down, Lost In The Echo and Lies Greed Misery(maybe it's the best from this trio).
    One line from the demo of Burn It Down covers this whole situation:
    (They) building it up, to burn it back down..........

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

I love LT why all the hate

Squish Mitten

Yeah, I love LT too. But everything else about this album cycle was just....horrible.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

Each new album is a reason I keep staying loyal to LP. I'm sure they are getting sick of the parrots repeating, "I loved the old way!" Most fail to realized maybe they want to grow up too. I think if they kept it the way it was since they started, they would have broken up years ago!

Squish Mitten

I'm not sure how your post is a response to mine :p

I too love how LP evolves with each album and LT is my second favourite LP album, as you can see from my sig. I was saying that the promotional techniques used in this album cycle were horrible. Each single was used to market something which was totally unconnected to the song, there were no official statements for the release of the singles, etc. I think you totally misunderstood me.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

;) Had to make it draw attention.

I guess I agree with most though, this was just a bad album cycle (but not necessarily a bad album!) and we should see where they go from here.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Honestly they need a fucking guitarist who wants to play guitar.

Boom. Said it. Octaves are not exciting. He cannot find that interesting, he needs to get inspired.

I'm not asking for solos, just do something other than play fucking octaves.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

All this.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Many people don't realize that it's a give and take relationship with Warner. Yes the label did a lot of good for the band and gave them a chance when nobody else did but they also haven't been the easiest people to work with. The band has made this obvious in interviews in the past and even through lyrics in their songs (When They Come For Me). They have their hand in everything the band does (including LPU) and likely take a huge cut of their profits too. Chances are LP barely saw a return on Hybrid Theory.

Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if after ATS didn't sell a million copies Warner forced their hand and demanded Linkin Park make something more radio accessible. They can claim as a band that they are more comfortable in their own skin and that this was a natural progression but I have a hard time believing that fully. Sure it may have had a hand in it, but as so many people have mentioned...the album lacks a real soul. It's a well written album and it's catchy but the raw honesty and heart that make ATS such a thrill to listen to just aren't there. Except of course on a few of the more creative tracks.

You'll notice that ATS was barely advertised by Warner and yet LT was everywhere to be found and is significantly less "avant-garde" than ATS. I refuse to believe this is coincidence.

Which is also probably why there is a ridiculous amount of merch this album cycle. It's nearing the end of their Warner contract and Warner wants every last penny they can get before LP potentially goes indie or to another label. It also might be why this album has had barely any touring support (despite apparently being written "to play live") and why so few songs from LT have been played live.

I just think the band had their hands tied this album and as a result they don't like the end result and thus aren't supporting it full stop like they did with ATS.

If mike is reading this and I'm dead wrong then I'm sorry. But it just comes off like this.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Chester:
    Source

Suffered

Suffered All we need is faith

They have a great guitarist who likes playing guitar, but just like Dave, he doesn't have a "chance" to show his skills because the music they making.
    Saying it plain and simple: There is no Linkin Park without Brad, (or without any of them) and he's always being the "hyped" member of the band.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Actually it's been stated by Brad in the past that he doesn't show off or so flashy licks because he doesn't want to. The music has nothing to do with it. It's his personal choice. Same reason why Dave doesn't do bass solos.

Mitch

Mitch YTB

Fucking this. Totally agree. They can sound good in some situations, but are definitely too overplayed in Linkin Parks catalogue and are growing very tiresome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.