What genres should LP experiment with next album?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Delicious Dave, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Speaking of Coldplay, I'd love if LP did something like Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends. Such a great album.

There. 2,000 posts! :awesome:

2. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I've been saying it since before MTM: LONGER SONGS. I wanna see them write a prog/nu-metal epic.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

3. No. Just no. I can only think of very few bands who are as boring as Coldplay.

4. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I want them to experiment with a sound where you can actually hear the fricking bass guitar in their music. No disrespect to the band but it's painful how little Dave features on some tracks or worse how simple the bass licks are. Hell WFTE doesn't even have bass until the second verse. They really need to give more love to that instrument.

5. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Awesome indeed. Just 1000 more and you're there...

6. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Such weird how Phoenix went from a band where bass had a prominent role to a band where bass is more or less absent. Tasty Snax such had some amazing and funky bass lines!

7. RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Okay, that super long "band phases" post i made in the previous page was made by the sleepy, bored-as-hell version of me... ;) I just woke up and read it, and most of it looks stupid! But yeah, the basic point I tried to make still stands..

8. Melis

Melis when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory LPA Super Member

Hmmm..I woudn't like it if Linkin Park did something like that... I LOVE Coldplay and that album is great too but I don't think that this would fit.

BTW, CONGRATS! 1000 posts more and you're blue like me :awesome:

9. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I don't really care what they go after stylistically, I just just hope it isn't formulaic radio fodder.

10. Melis

Melis when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory LPA Super Member

You mean like Burn It Down?

11. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I'm honestly surprised Dave hasn't dropped some ska style bass lines on an LP track yet.

12. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I want them to leave pop alone and focus on more progressive electronic rock with strings and big synth sounds thrown in with organic acoustic instruments. A Thousand Suns was near enough perfection, Living Things was good but had no cohesive feel to it and had way too many pop songs. I want LP get in the mindset they were in with ATS and just go crazy without caring what anyone thinks.

13. Qwerty19

He might think this style of playing wouldn't fit with the dark mood in most of their songs.

I personnaly think it could make a nice contrast. A ska-style bass line with a dark synth could deliver very well! It could create a very mysterious/hypnotic vibe.

14. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I second

Also, and I'm almost sure of this, but I bet the band has been crunching down on some music overall this tour break. Mike, obviously, is doing it all year but this is a great time for the band to seriously start work

15. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Eventually I think that mid-2013 they will go to the studio again full time, if they really want to keep doing the "put out music fast" thing, they will tour oceania first, then they will go to europe, and probably close with a few shows back in the US.

Now that I said this, another question comes up on the table.. Do we want Linkin Park to put out albums as often as they said they wanted, or is it more healthy for their music to "cook" for a longer time? It took them 4 years to make MTM (well, Fort Minor was part of the reason for it), and 3 years for ATS, as opposed to LT which came out 2 years later.

So time is definitely a factor that we gotta keep in mind, they can experiment with a few things but the point is whether those ideas will have the right time to develop or will be "rushed" into a final product.

16. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Based on the 18 month deadline, it'll mean a new album by December of 2013. And there won't be any other US dates this year. I do expect some Asia dates. Maybe a quick tour back to Europe over the summer.

As for the speed of the releases, I don't want the band to ever rush. I think there's a big difference, however, between rushing and going to the studio more while touring less. If they're working at the same quality and ability while simply touring less, then I'm okay. If they're rushing and forcing out albums, then no.

17. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I agree, of course rushing albums is something no-one would want from LP, but what I think is that I'm not sure that in a 18 month span they can deliver a product with the caliber (note how I'm not using the word 'quality' here) of ATS.

LIVING THINGS is a great album to me, but like they said, it's a compact, song-based album. I do think it has a lot of quality, but not the caliber of its predecessor. So if they would try again and make another full-experimenting album, I think it would take more time, unless of course, like you said, they tour less.

18. EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

I want them to do an album with vocoder vocals and flutes as backing music.

19. Esummai

Esummai Well-Known Member

I think that Linkin Park is writing about stuff that inspires them not other people but it's fun to see so many opinions here.

20. Qwerty19

Well, time is not necessarily something that makes a record better. Some of the most classic record ever (easy example: Beatles) have been made very quickly. Overthinking a song won't always make it better.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013