Green Day intend to release album trilogy

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Blackee Dammet, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Stray Heart and Oh Love are the only songs from the whole trilogy that I can say that I thoroughly enjoy.

2. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Try turning up the volume. Seems to work for the whole trilogy actually.

3. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Hasn't helped. What i liked before I still like, but the trilogy is still like 60% filler.

I was able to pick and choose what i liked and made me one hell of a good Uno, Dos, Tre! compilation that has some of Green Days best stuff in years, for sure, but I still had to cut a looooooooooooot of fat to get it.

4. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Well, that is true. I think they should look for a new producer because they seem too chummy with Rob Cavallo, which is likely we ended up seeing the trilogy. A more objective producer might have shot down a lot of the filler, which more rightly belonged on a Foxboro Hot Tubs record. But to be honest, while 60% is filler, I ended up with more good tracks than I'd originally thought, so I'm still satisfied. Here's an official album cover if you want it: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mehjhjfUGY1qfnczgo1_1280.jpg

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here, because so many songs at once has really made their trademark sound more worn-out than ever. Their few experiments didn't really turn out that well and unless they're planning a significant break, I don't see myself being excited for another album with the same sound. It would be cool if they did something different like Warning after this.

5. Suffered

Suffered All we need is faith

Warning with the experiments from 21st Century Breakdown. Sounds good to me. I don't want to hear another Dookie-style track in the next album. Except 99 Revolutions, Carpe Diem and Ashley I hate every Dookie-style song from the trilogy. I love those songs what everyone else hates like Oh Love, Kill The DJ or Nightlife. Yes, Nightlife. It's my favourite. Or Peacemaker, Little Girl, See The Light and Hearts Collide from 21stCB. I think the experiments especially in Warning and 21stCB turned out good, even if the most of the fans don't like 21stCB because it's not punk enough and there are too much piano. And yeah, I think too that they should take a break, and see what kind of album they can make. I would say that a 2-3 years break would be good for the band to refresh themselves.

6. Blackee Dammet

"Not punk enough" isn't why people hated 21CB, an overwrought, insincere and embarrassingly incompetent attempt tor recreate a "grandiose" American idiot style epic-album is why people hated 21CB.

Most of AI itself wasn't but so "punk" either, but the reception was better because it was done so much better.

7. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AI might not have been punk but it really nailed pop-punk in a way few bands have done and, combined with its cohesiveness as an album, really delivered. Coming off Warning, that record had a lot more interplay of acoustic/distorted which I really loved. What they need right now is a break, and to rethink their music a little bit. The lyrics also have great room for improvement, maybe another concept album (but non-political as I don't want a repeat of 21CB wankery).

8. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

They just stretched themselves too thin. American Idiot's success convinced them that they had to keep getting more ambitious with each album or it wasn't worth their time. Three albums is just too fucking much music to try and pull off at once, especially for a band like Green Day that isn't exactly in its prime anymore. It was a dumb idea from the start.

9. Blackee Dammet

American Idiot's success convinced them they were seriously "legendary", "brilliant" and all the rest of the smoke people were blowing up their asses, when in reality it was just a very good album that they happened to drop when anti-Americanism was very fashionable.

And another thing, can everyone stop referring to them as "political" or anything resembling that? They had American Idiot and Holiday, and then nothing else even resembling a coherent political or social commentary that wasn't "Man... fucking... the way shit is and... stuff...".

Linkin Parks political songs were handled better. That's saying a lot.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  10. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I would argue it started with Minority, then AI had American Idiot, Holiday, parts of JOS, Letterbomb. And 21CB had 21 Guns, 21CB, American Eulogy. Not as political as people say, for sure, but definitely political songs.

11. ernieball003

Minority: Yes, but nothing drastic. "Kiddy rebellion" kinda thing I s'pose.
    American Idiot: Yes.
    Jesus of Suburbia: No.
    Holiday: Yes.
    Letterbomb: No. "Idiot America" is used in reference to the story of the album, not politics.
    21CB stuff: Don't care.

12. Blackee Dammet

I'd go as far as to insist the last couple of Green Day albums, barring those 2 songs, were no more "political" than the last couple of Blink 182 records. Vague mentions of "Boy, how bout that modern society, chaps?!" does not commentary make, even if you try your damnedest to stretch it out through 50 minutes.

13. ernieball003

Society =/= politics.

14. Blackee Dammet

I was making a remark on how they're often credited for being very into both, when they're actually not doing either very well. 21CB especially was supposed to be "genius social commentary on these confusing and uncertain times, brought to you by the masterminds behind political masterpiece American Idiot!". That was actually it's biggest selling point prior to release.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  15. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Uh, what? Any statement you make about the state of society is by definition a political statement because you are advocating change.

And there's nothing wrong with me
    This is how I'm supposed to be
    In a land of make believe
    That don't believe in me

I.e. society is indulged in its myths about itself, but doesn't believe in the potential of its young people like JOS. In fact, the whole song is about him him rising out of the facade of pretentious small town values.

The story of the album is as much a personal journey as commentary on a society falling apart. And the phrase 'Idiot America' can't not be political. Anyway, Letterbomb:

Where have all the bastards gone?
    The underbelly stacks up ten high
    The dummy failed the crash test
    Collecting unemployment checks
    Like a flunkie along for a ride

Where have all the riots gone
    As your city's model gets pulverized?
    What's in love is now in debt
    On your birth certificate
    So strike the fucking match to light this fuse

The town bishop is an extortionist
    And he don't even know that you exist
    Standing still when it's do or die
    You better run for your fucking life

The first part is about those living on welfare, unable or unwilling to work, and generally leeching off society. Despite this, there's no protests or anyone rising up to question the state of society even though the country's state has brought unemployment and debt. Your personal voice as a citizen doesn't count and the leader doesn't care about anything but money. All in all, it's advocating rising up and making a difference. Pretty political.

Still counts though.