LPA Monthly Mix-Up August 2012: WINNER

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Sep 7, 2012.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

For anyone who is disappointed that they weren't featured, PLEASE do not take it personally. We often average 15-30 entries and are challenged to whittle those down to 5 entries or less. We used to only do 3 entries but we found that to be impossible due to the sheer level of talent we witness every month.

Because of this it means that we sometimes vote out remixes we really like. It doesn't mean your remix "sucked" or that your talent "isn't enough", it's just how the voting process played out. I must beg you guys to not lose hope, and to keep trying. Glen Orpheus is one of our best remixers and he got runner up numerous times till he finally got the gold, and Zwier is a fan favorite and yet this is the first time he's ever taken home victory in these contests. So whether or not you're famous in the LP community or a professional musician holds no weight in these contests. We just go off of a democracy, and the remixes we list are who survived after everyone had a vote. Doesn't mean your remixes sucked at all, and you guys have to understand that. We'd open the voting process to the general public, but then it'd become a popularity contest and lesser known remixers would get ignored. Hell think of it this way...m_macdonald wasn't even known in the LP remix community till our Electro-Pop remix month and his Given Up remix not only won, but is one of the best LP remixes we've ever heard. If he's an unknown and could kick that much ass, who's to say you can't too?

Don't give up, and keep entering. One day you may find your name in first place!

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

My Remixers Name is The2ndHope yo
    just sayin...

:shinado:

Flagrare

Flagrare 'Majestic Dick. Brazilian Snake Cock. And Cunts. LPA Super Member

Congratulations buddy! :)

And for the rest of you too!

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Awesome! Congratulations to all the winners and runners-up, brilliant job. Deserved wins for sure. zwieR.Z is easily deserving of his first MMU win, since he is something of a LP remix legend (p.s. zwieR.Z, your 'Blackout' remix is one of the greatest LP remixes of all time).

Obviously, like all competitions, it's a shame that there can only be so many winners, since there are always a whole bunch of quality entries (this month, Hybrid and LizziCloverman spring to mind, although there are others too!). If you're reading this thread and you're enjoying what you're hearing, head over to the original contest thread and listen to some more! Ree usually (very helpfully) compiles a list of all the entries, you should find it near the end of the thread.

Congratulations again to the winners! Looking forward to the Ambient entries this month.

Yaseen Alam

Yaseen Alam Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what I could've improved on. I am somewhat just started getting more and more into this stuff. So I take any comments and try to improve that.

MajiksMonster

MajiksMonster Producer/Musician

I'm curious too. Anything I could improve on as well?

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Thank you, Mark! That was my plan for my entry all along: To be different. :)

Thank you again, Mike, for helping me with tweaking my remix this month. You helped me push my entry to be the best that it could be. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, so that's what matters the most to me.

Here was the list of entries:

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I think it would be good to ask some of the other more prominent remixers what programs they're using, because that might be limiting your potential. The drums in your remix didn't really fit the song. You need something fuller. Also, it seemed off-tempo. Like Hybrid, I think it was a case of forcing two songs together instead of picking complimentary ones. Also, remixing is more than just putting an acapella over an instrumental. The entries that really stand out are the ones which manipulate and cut up the acapella/instrumental.

Liked the orchestra, but at the start the vocals seemed off-time with the instrumental. I feel they came in too early. Twenty, thirty second intros are usually a good idea. You fixed the timing as the song went on. I liked the instrumental in this, and the vocals manipulation was well done. I personally love up-tempo remixes.

You're up against tough competition, for sure, but the point of these is to find the cream of the crop. If it helps, you would have made the cut if we had 4 runner-ups. I think you really need to learn to lose more gracefully.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I am on a mobile phone (a ghetto one at that) so I can't listen to individual tracks and give targeted criticism/suggestions for each track, so instead here is some advice to all who want to enter these contests:

1. Think Outside The Box - While every remix we hear is creative and sounds great, the vast amount of entrants we get means that it's really hard for even the most talented of remixers to stand out from the pack. This is where doing the unexpected can really make a difference. I can't tell you how many times someone has come in literally at the last moment and delivered a remix so game changing that it impresses us enough to put it at the top. A good example is the Given Up remix I mentioned earlier. The month that remix won we were doing Dance music. Could you imagine a song like Given Up being a dance track? Neither could we, and it was a fantastic surprise. It's creative thinking like that which makes a huge difference when there are this many entries.

2. Plan It Out - Sounds like common sense, but a remix is always better when its been planned out and ideas are sketched out before hand. If you have a clear idea plotted out and then strive to execute it your remix will benefit from it big time.

3. Timing/Beat Matching/Audio Levels - Often we've heard some potentially great remixes fall short because a drum beat/synth was slightly out of beat or the mastering was off and great parts were buried. It doesn't matter if your idea is amazing, if you don't take the extra time to improve the mixing of the track before submitting it, your entry is going to suffer from it.

===

That's the best "general" advice I can give to everyone here. Good luck.

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

Well Mark, maybe i didn't explain it very well. All i wanted to say was, i am kind of disappointed, in fact i really expected something different.

Well all i can say, i entered so many MMUs and i wasn't sad when i lost a competition.
    It was just kind of explaining what i think. I am not sad or angry or so. I am really happy for those guys who won.
    So yeah :D

m_macdonald

No problem at all man, happy to help out in any way I can. I loved the concept you came up with, and it turned out awesome! I'll be following your Soundcloud, I look forward to whatever you do next!

zwieR.Z.

zwieR.Z. Well-Known Member

Thanks man!

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I kind of have an idea... It has nothing to do with the MMU. The thing is, it's another mash up though... lol

m_macdonald

Sweet! Do it!