Why does Linkin Park hid so many good things on Living Things?????

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Panagiotis Papagianni, Sep 6, 2012.

Panagiotis Papagianni

Panagiotis Papagianni Stay Away From Me Motherfuckerrrrrrr

Yesterday I was listening to In my Remains live and it was different and better because of the high pitch synth they added.Actually after listening to the live i could hear it on the studio version too.
    Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpckceJMpiM

Burn it Down has such good guitars but they hide them on the studio version too.

And today i was listening to LITE acapella and in the last chorus i heard some really cool backvocals from Chester but i can't hear them in the studio version.I think they are the same vocals killsonik used on his remix and before i listen the acapella i was wondering where the fuck he got those amazing vocals.
    Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPnm85Mg9bk put it on 2:15 to hear the vocals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fgVDB_qadg and the acapella

It should be great if they make those things louder in their studio songs

Flagrare

Flagrare 'Majestic Dick. Brazilian Snake Cock. And Cunts. LPA Super Member

I was thinking the same these days. Wait for Live version of I'LL BE GONE. You'll see hear how is its true form. I mean, about the violins and everything.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I definitely love the synth/strings(?) you can hear live on In My Remains.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Yep, in general, I can't say I'm happy with the mix of the album, it's the low point of the record to me.

The synths during In My Remains chorus are an example of that. Why are they so damn low in the studio version? lol

Same can be said about the synth melody during LGM second chorus. And also, about the heavy guitars in Victimized, especially during the bridge. I was just comparing the studio and live version of the song, and the live verison is like, 10X more powerful, because, well, you can actually hear that brutal riff in the bridge. (and because of Qwerty addition, obviously)

Geki

Geki >.

LT is probably LP's worse album when it comes to mixing. I liked MTM's mixing the best, but the rest were good too.

Arjun

Arjun Comin' at you from every side!!!!

i agree.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Once I noticed the piano slide on In My Remains right before the verses, it's hard to not hear it.

LP-tastic

LP-tastic Well-Known Member

I agree. There are a lot of things you can hear much better when they perform it live. But instead of complaining that they aren´t audible in the studio version you can choose, whether you wanna listen to the studio or the live version. I hope they release a live album very soon, that would be awesome.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree here. I will say this: Manny Marroquin is one of my all time favourite mix engineers, and I was very excited to hear he was mixing LIVING THINGS. Sadly, the end result disappoints me. It's by no means terrible, but not quite what I was expecting.

I also agree in saying that MTM (mixed by Neal Avron) is my favourite mixed LP album, though the others are great too (the legend that is Andy Wallace on HT and Meteora - tasty!)

erasethepain

erasethepain Well-Known Member

it just makes live even better

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

Agreed mixing was horrible, just listen to BID. Who knows maybe the band wanted it.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It is a shame indeed. 'Pushing Me Away' was also treated in a similar fashion.

[youtube]L1U_hyqZ89I[/youtube]

2:11

Chester's second layer of vocals features a different melody that should have been brought to the forefront; this also includes Mike's vocals. It is unfortunate that both vocals are drowned out by the rest of the track.

Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

Same with New Divide. Only after listening to the acapella or the live version I noticed Mike sings during the chours.

Melis

Melis when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory LPA Super Member

:ditto:

chihuasG

chihuasG Well-Known Member

I have to agree that the mixing is pretty bad in this album.
    In BID, the guitars weren't loud enough. In IMR, the guitars are too loud that they overpower the awesome synth. :sheldon:
    It's a shame how some complex songs with a bunch of elements end up sounding "simplified" when those elements get buried and end up low in the mix. It's because of reasons like this that I love multi-tracks so much. They let you listen to every element of the song including the ones that you normally can't hear in the album mix. Sometimes I feel like I'm listening to a completely different song. It's just lovely.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Hmm, ok, people are starting to talk about all kinds of Linkin Park songs now. In my opinion, LIVING THINGS is an exception, and all other Linkin Park releases are excellent, excellent mixes. Perhaps some of the greatest in modern music.

It's perfectly natural to hear a track live when it's been mixed slightly differently and think, "Hey! Why didn't they make that synth/vocal/beat louder in the album version??" But the reality is, if they had made that synth/vocal/beat louder, we'd probably be saying the exact same thing about ANOTHER synth/vocal/beat in the mix. For example, if they boosted a guitar part, you might say "Hey, why did they bury that synth?" If they boosted the synth, you might say "Hey, why did they bury those guitars?"

There's only so much space in a mix, and mixing is an incredibly detailed and technical job which requires bringing the most important elements to the front of the mix (as judged by the band and the mixer). Not everything in a mix can live equally side by side - you cannot have your cake and eat it :p

As I said before though, LIVING THINGS is quite disappointing in its mix.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

yeah, the mixer did pretty bad job. There are a lot of cool sounds and background vocals that you can't even hear. It's a shame really

Geki

Geki >.

Neal Avron was fucking fabulous on mixing with MTM. It was amazing. I don't care if you don't like the album, you have to admit that the mixing was top notch. I feel like ATS had some bad mixing in it as well, but not as bad as LT. So many good things were buried with LT mixing that people that hate the album will probably never get to hear.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

IMO Living Things has one of the best mixes in an LP album. I wish ATS was mixed like this.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

In that case, It would be better if LP will release LIVING THINGS: Re-enhanced Edition plus Bonus Track demo Bruiser & let Andy Wallace or Neal Avron do the mixing for it.. They are the mixers when it comes to mixing with LP... How cool is that...