Disappointed by Living Things?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Dj-Jay, Aug 27, 2012.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Disappointed doesn't feel like the right word to use. I went into the album with little ground to base any sort of expectations, as a whole. I am starting to get a bit of a MTM sort of vibe from the record though. Meaning I don't really consider the record as a whole, but if I'm listening to iTunes or my Shuffle and something pops up, I'll listen.

And as far as I'm concerned not taking a step forward is just as bad as taking a step backwards. Still, could be worse. Could be following Korn's artistic direction.

I do agree with this though.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Good.

Bennoda Girl

Bennoda Girl A past to overwrite.

In my opinion, this album is way better than ATS, and I'm not disappointed by it, i think they did very well! My favorites are "I'll be gone" and "Lost in the echo".

minuteforce

Did you like "A Thousand Suns", though?

Bennoda Girl

Bennoda Girl A past to overwrite.

I did. Still do, but if I had to choose between ATS and LT, i'd choose LT.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Considering I wasn't a rabid fan until Minutes To Midnight, Living Things was the first LP album where on the first listen I was immediately comfortable with it and able to fully appreciate it. I didn't have to completely skew my musical tastes to enjoy it like A Thousand Suns, or the ballads on Minutes To Midnight. Living Things just clicked with me, and that led to great satisfaction. That said, on ambition alone, it hides in the shadows of A Thousand Suns. But as a collection of individual songs, Living Things stands it's own ground, apart from say I'll Be Gone and Burn It Down.

To be honest I feel sorry for those who have locked themselves into this ideal of what they want Linkin Park to be, and that Living Things didn't deliver. That narrow-eyed judgment leaves them foaming at the mouth for new music from the band that won't come until 2014 at the earliest, and at that point it's even less guaranteed to satisfy their appetite. Kinda reminds me of the Hybrid Theory fanboys.

In the meantime, I'll be enjoying every minute of Living Things.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Yes. Very.
    Across the board I think the songs are lazy. Either it's radio fodder or it's big potential de-balled/cut short in their unnecessary want to keep everything as short as possible. It's pretty disappointing/boring for that.

Strangely enough though, I can enjoy LT when I'm drunk but not at all when I'm sober. Something that's never happened to me before with anything else I've listened to.

:lol:

Which they didn't exactly need. At all. They've been a headline act for several years now, and that wouldn't change for quite a long time regardless of how challenging their music could become.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Based on everything that I heard before the album came out, I went into it thinking I wouldn't like it nearly as much as ATS. It turns out that I was right, although it's better than I thought it would be. A lot better actually. Some songs I loved right away, others grew on me over time. I'd say I'll be Gone is the only song that I find myself skipping often. Overall, it's a FUN album. It's been my primary car music these past few months because of how fun these songs are to jam out to.

With all that said though, Linkin Park can do better. A Thousand Suns was a fucking masterpiece. They need to build off that and make another brilliant album. And I think they will. I really don't see them wanting to make another album like LT.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

You know what I want and think could be GOAT for LP would be an alum like ATS with 12 songs and no interludes. Imagine a full amount of song ATS style, and it would be the longest album LP would have ever done if they made some The Catalyst length songs, it would be really amazing. I hope they continue the direction of ATS in the future but only if they drop the interludes, because I want more actual songs, because the songs are awesome

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Exactly, right now, I feel like I'd be satisfied with a more rock (MTM) sounding record, which is weird, because all this time, I've wanted an electronic/dubstep album...

Melis

Melis when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory LPA Super Member

I had the same opinion. Now we have one and that is enough. I need more that 'rock' sound again.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I couldn't have said it better :)

minuteforce

Good.

ToTheCitadel

ToTheCitadel Wisdom, Justice & Love

I love Living Things and I'm definitely not disappointed by it. Although (in my opinion), it's not as emotionally moving or (for a lack of a better term) epic than A Thousand Suns, but it definitely brings back a familiar energy from previous albums, which I really admire.

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

I'd think about helping him say it better and here's why:

The Hybrid theory fanboys are typically angry because the band doesn't sound like they did over ten years ago. So whenever they release a new album that doesn't sound like "Meteora Theory" they roll their eyes at the distance between what they enjoyed and what has happened today. More often than not their taste hasn't grown either. On rare occasion you can spot someone with a variety in taste, they just don't like the new albums. The point is those fans decided what the band should be a long time ago and expected it to be recycled their whole careers.

The criticism with Living Things has been compared with A Thousand Suns a great deal, granted, but no one's said they wished it was A Thousand Suns Part 2. The words I often hear is "a step backwards." This isn't too out of bounds, really. The band said they used past "tools" to make this album-- in a sense that's admitting they took a step back so they could reach far enough to grab those old tools. That was part of the point of this album. But here's the thing: The result was uneven. With respect, the idea that Living things didn't deliver because we've locked ourselves in to an idea of what Linkin Park should be is a fly-by excuse for the album. I'm not going to praise every little thing they do because they're my favorite band and that's that.

So what if I and others think Living Things is one of their weaker albums? Lucky for me I have five to choose from and I'm more than happy to say, "better luck next time" as I wait for the next. It's not an admission to deciding what the band should be for them, its an admission that they have flaws and I'll stick with them despite that. I think the majority who didn't enjoy Living things as much, at least on these boards, feel the same way.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

If it means they're taking a step back this time around to take a better two steps forward next time, so be it.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I must be the only one who appreciates LIVING THINGS more with every listen. When you view it as the followup to ATS, of course it's going to be "disappointing" because you're taking a highly conceptual album (ATS), and comparing to a very radio friendly album (LT).

However; viewed on its own merits LIVING THINGS is a very enjoyable album with some strong songwriting. Of course it's no ATS, but I don't think writing another ATS was even in the band's mind this time around.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

^This^ I'm right there with you, Derek.

LPChris

LPChris LP Fan Since 8/2001

I'm somewhat disappointed with LIVING THINGS. There are some awesome songs on it, but it's the first Linkin Park album that I've gotten bored of. No longer in my rotation, and I still have a crap-load of time I have to wait for new LP material :(

Flagrare

Flagrare 'Majestic Dick. Brazilian Snake Cock. And Cunts. LPA Super Member

I third this.