Creating Music

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by zorrodude, Jun 29, 2012.

zorrodude

zorrodude Well-Known Member

I couldn't think of a proper title so I just went with that :p. Anyway for the past few years I've really been interested in making beats and electronic/techno sounds. And I finally realized I should just stop thinking about doing it and actually "attempt" it. I sound so stupid by saying this but I want to make music kind of like Deadmau5 or other EDM's. For the last 5 years I've been in a couple bands screaming and that's about it. I'm not going to lie, as a band we weren't doing too bad, playing at clubs and parties every weekend and getting positive feedback. But that's all I did, was scream. I didn't play any instruments. And I know screaming has nothing to do with electonic-house music, but in all honesty that's what I'm really into.

So back on topic, what editing program would you guys recommend. I don't have any midi type instruments. Just a powerful ass computer. I've heard to try out FL studio or Ableton Live as they already have sounds. I'll eventually buy an actual instrument like possibly a Kaossilator Pro. Basically all I want to do is make Electro house, maybe some dubstep, and also make remix's of songs using mostly just my computer. (Unless you have suggestions to instruments that aren't too expensive)

Sorry if this all sounds very noobish and confusing, but my brain is exhausted after today. :D

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

FL Studio. It's probably the simplest to get the hang of and can do pretty much anything any other editing program can do. All editing programs have the same quality, it just depends on how well you know how to use it. It really just comes down to whatever you feel the most comfortable with, though.

Knowing how to play instruments is definitely not important when you're producing everything on your computer. As long as you know basic music theory you should be able to pump out all types of songs.

As for virtual software, there's hundreds of good instruments out there. Some of my favorites are Absynth 5, U-he Ace, U-he Zebra2, Camel Audio Alchemy, Tone2 ElectraX, Tone2 Gladiator, Native Instruments Massive, Native Instruments Reaktor 5 (specifically Razor), Native Instruments Maschine, Native Instruments Kontakt 5, reFX Nexus, Lennar Digital Sylenth1, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, and Cakewalk Zeta. Those are the best money can buy. And if you don't feel like spending $20,000+ towards a hobby, torrents and other file sharing sites are your friend.

Just find a cheap MIDI keyboard and you'll be all set. There's also good USB mics out there if you don't have one already.

Edit: And there's thousands of effects plugins out there. Literally thousands upon thousands. A quick search might tell you which ones are considered the best, but it's very subjective.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
    Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

Hey, i am actually pretty happy to see one who tries to make beats and thinking about that whole stuff.
    I mean i thought about that long time ago too and now i make electro / dubstep beats and stuff.
    Anyways i think FL Studio is pretty good for amateurs - who are new in the business. I started with that too.
    To make dubstep and electro beats the VST Plugin "NI Massive" is pretty good.
    Or Absynth 5.
    Like travz21 said, get a midi keyboard, the keyboards of AKAI are pretty good.
    etc etc.
    Try to check out some videos on youtube, tutorials - how to - amateur videos
    i dont say that i am good but through that i raised a lot, thats what i can tell

so keep it up and send some stuff when u did some beats!

iPhantom

iPhantom Banned

FL Studio (PC)
    Garageband (Mac)

zorrodude

zorrodude Well-Known Member

Sweet, thanks for the responses. I'll check into midi keyboards this weekend. I've been on the Innerpartysystem boards reading through gear they've used and advice they have personally given. I've been playing with Ableton and its a little rough at learning but not too terribly difficult like I had imagined. If anybody else has any other advice I will gladly take it. :D

theycallmepraya

theycallmepraya $w∆gg3r.

I think Logic Pro (Mac) is your best option if you're able to use it. It basically can do everything you need it to do. (Make beats, record live instruments, vocals etc.) And it does all pretty well. The stock plug-ins are really dope. I record a lot of musicians and just throw some stock plug-ins on em and with some very minor tweaking I'm set. The synths built in to the program are actually pretty good. To get the dubstep bass (the wah-wah/wub-wub.) You're going to have to learn how to essentially create them from scratch. Which is exactly what you have to do if you want to earn any respect. Part of what makes you a respected dub-step artist is doing the whole 8 different bass sounds in one track thing and your music will get very repetitive if you just used stock sounds. However NI Massive has some dope stuff to use since you're just now learning (which you'd use as a plugin with Logic Pro.)

Once you get a little more confident in your beat making skills. I'd say get a Native Instruments Maschine and some type of Midi Controller. Using those in tangent with Logic Pro and Massive is going to give you a whole new level of flexibility and make electronic music creation just sooo much easier for you.

Take the time to watch this video. It'll kind of show you what I'm getting at.

http://youtu.be/nMxV5T_TRYw

i'm a fl studio user. and DO NOT GET FL STUDIO.

It's full of bugs and glitches, especially when you get into third party VSTs. NOw I'm stuck to the point where I cannot change DAWs because I'm so used to how FL Studio works.
    Get logic pro or ableton live.

travz21

What bugs and glitches are you experiencing? I haven't had any in FL 8, 9, or 10 over the last few years.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Has anyone heard of DUBturbo? If yes, is it good? I'm thinking of getting it.

It gets very problematic when you start using 3rd party vsts, especially if they aren't "popular". FL will sometimes randomly close, and sometimes the VST fails to load permanently for the certain project.

Also, I'm pretty sure many other VSTs can have more than 4gb of RAM. FL's "bridged mode", where the VST's CPU and RAM are not a part of the CPU and RAM of the DAW, is also very glitchy and slow.

FL Studio is an excellent program... with terrible imperfections.

travz21

I only use 3rd party plugins and haven't experienced any of that. Maybe you have a bad crack of FL or plugins. What are your computer specs? The songs you make have to be huge load on your computer unless you have a damn nice one.

Do you use Native instruments stuff? :eek:

My PC is 2nd gen i7 processor and 12gb ram.
    it took me a while to save up for it xD

travz21

Damn, that's nice.

Yeah, I use pretty much everything. Absynth, Reaktor, Maschine, Kontakt, Sound Toys, Massive. I don't use them well, but I use them lol.