Your views on Reanimation

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lime treacle, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

The band said it could both be considered a remix and a studio album.

To me, it's just a remix record that never meant a lot to me (although it's not that I don't like it). But I've seen people putting it on a pedestal, which made me surprised.

What are your views on Reanimation?

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Agree with Night of Neptune. Just a remix album that never had a huge meaning to me. Still has some great songs though

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

It's a stroke of genius that put them in a league above their peers. While nu-metal and the band itself were originally conceived as an exercise to mix various genres together, the results were very monochromatic and boring. However, Reanimation took all of the ingredients and made a bit of a salad out of them. Every element was distinctive but sometimes melded together excellently.

One complaint that can be lodged at the band is the issue of having too many cooks in the kitchen. Nowadays, the band won't finish a song if one of the six members doesn't like something about it. But on Reanimation, that really isn't a problem despite the large number of guest vocalists and producers. I kinda see this as Mike's project; he has a good ear for beats and is really big on promoting lesser known rappers.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Well said, Spitz.

Reanimation is more than just your run of the mill remix album. Nearly every track was meticulously taken apart and pieced back together to create for a totally different product. Re-written & additional lyrics, re-recorded vocals, you name it; it's an entirely different album. Meteora was rendered a let-down thanks to Reanimation.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

I love it. I think it includes some of Linkin Park's best work.

This is what makes it so good.

lime treacle

I've probably listened to it 2 times in my life :lol:

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

The only reason I don't listen to it more often is because it's a bit too hip-hop heavy for my tastes, but it's an amazingly crafted record.

I still believe the versions of By Myself and My December on the album are better than their original counterparts.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Well thats probably why you don't appreciate it then......

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

Love it with a passion!

Blake

It's still a remix album. It may be more than a normal remix album but it is a remix album. and If I were to put it somewhere, I'd put it last, unless you count collision course

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Right up there behind A Thousand Suns. It's a great album that, in my opinion, was ahead of its time. I just with it would have came after Minutes to Midnight, ever even right after Meteora. If that would have happened then maybe Meteora would have been appreciated a little, by me anyway.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I didn't like most of the rappers they brought in. The music was amazing but it felt like they ruined it with a lot crappy rap. Not to be confused with hip hop. It's tap and I dislike what it did to the music. It just didn't fit. In the end, a place for my head, runaway all ruined. X-ecutioner style was no good. Papercut was the only remix with rapping I liked.

giordanno92

giordanno92 Active Member

I need to agree with this. I was mainly listening to Hip Hop when I discovered Linkin Park. A friend I had gave me Hybrid Theory and Reanimation on my birthday, and to be honest Reanimation stood out.
    In my opinion it was an attempt to make HT sounds more unique, underground and have a different view on the original tracks. Reanimation mixes the chaos and softness in a single song sometimes (Plc.4 Mie Hæd), it tries to create some build up tension songs (1stp Klosr), P5hng Me A*wy is far better than its original version in my opinion and KRWLNG was my first favorite song from LP. I wasn't digging Rock/Metal back then (I was only listening to U2 and New Age) and Reanimation was a new form of understanding music for me and helped introduce the artists I listen today.

On the other hand, some songs got a wrong direction, which is the case of Enth E Nd that sounds awesome at first, but its instrumental can't hold me to listen to it a lot of times.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? For one, trying to designate hip-hop you like as such and hip-hop you don't like as rap is the most ignorant damn thing I've ever heard. Rap is a rhythmic and spoken word-esque singing style while hip-hop is a subculture with heavy ties to music, fashion and art. Is your nu-metal so precious to you that you can't stand to have established and respected artists take a crack at it? Make it something other than the same goddamn songs twelve times over? Bring in a bunch of guys who've been rapping back when when Mike was cutting demos in his bedroom? You're telling me Pharoahe Monch, Black Thought and Chali 2na are crap.

Can there just be a referendum or something? People who don't know shit about hip-hop should be not be allowed to speak on hip-hop. Put that on a bill and I will haul my ass to nearest poll. You're saying rap doesn't fit on songs by a band that has a goddamned rapper in it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
    ChazzyChazRoxs

ChazzyChazRoxs Member

I have always enjoyed this album and consider it my favourite one. I don't know why honestly, there is just something about that always attracted me to it. Yes, I will admit that it's all remixes but I always thought they were well put together. :)

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It's tied for best LP album along with ATS and Living Things.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I honestly wouldn't have pegged you as liking Living Things that much.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

This, coming from an individual who argued against the point of measuring the validity in a person's opinion in the context of objectivity over subjectivity in music?

Reanimation presented a soundscape that was built and expanded upon what was included on Hybrid Theory, and then far exceeded most of the material found in Meteora and Minutes to Midnight. Why can't it be put on the pedestal?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
    Blake

what? I think you are looking into what I said too much. all I'm saying is it is a Remix album. I don't believe it to be a studio album like some people. That's all I was saying, along with that I did not like it compared to their studio albums.

lime treacle

I don't know. Honestly, even though I enjoy listening to it, in the end it doesn't make me want to listen to it again. Remixes never meant a lot to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.