The Hundreds Article: IN THE MIX Brings Insight into LIVING THINGS' Post-Production

Discussion in 'News' started by Zane, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Yes, I can just say that because I believe MTM was their first album being almost conceptual. The tracks weren't tied by a storyline, but by common factors, such as human disasters, loss, relationship decays, loss in faith meeting songs whose talked about self-redemption and freedom (WID and LOATR and kinda In Pieces while HHH, in the middle of the album contained both, desperation and reality first followed by freedom), and Given Up simply fits the part of the desperate -yet dramatic and mature related- ones. Surely not super deep as I stated, but nonetheless is a good song. Hyperventilation is a serious condition, searching for help while nobody cares, reminds me of the recent italian father who stood on a fence claiming to suicide if nobody would help him to buy ortophedic shoes for his daughter. The whole song reminds me of people breaking down inside and eventually -luckily- find something to save themselves by a radical change or end up as the 1800 greek people who suicided (and 23 since January in Italy) for the crysis and lack of money. Is a song that in its way faces a problem like No More Sorrow, just in different ways, with different causes and different solutions, but yet connected by the same need: revolution.
    You can't tell me an album like that happens to just have sparse songs in it with no reason at all.

EDIT: Chester pointing his fingers to his head simulating a gunshot right at the end of every live performance of Given Up should easily prove my feeling.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. Kmid24

Kmid24 Well-Known Member

Another question to anyone who can answer...

On lptix.com/events/ it says LINKIN PARK ONLY under the CT show. Does this mean LP wont preform with anyone else (Incubus)?

3. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I just want to add my little 2 cents on this.

Obviously, Given Up lyrics aren't by any means depth or whatever, unlike some of the other MTM songs. But I'm gonna say: I prefer it this way. You know, there's a ton of human feelings and emotions. Moods change. Sometimes, somebody is gonna be very happy. Then the other time, he's gonna feel like he want to "philosophate" about live. Sometimes he's gonna feel like he want to discuss serious things. And then, sometimes....well, he 's gonna feel like he want to punch everybody in the face. That's human.

Given Up is very human in that sense. It doesn't have any poetry or depth or whatever. It's just Chester in angry mode. I don't think it's immature. Everybody (or almost) can have their angry moments. I would have say something different if entire MTM was full of these kind of lyrics, but c'mon, it's only one song.

4. Kmid24

Kmid24 Well-Known Member

It looks like I'm able to buy tix today for the Moeghan sun concert on their website, yet the tix are a rediculous prices

5. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Must be 10AM local time for you?

6. Kmid24

Kmid24 Well-Known Member

No, it's 6:22p.m april 22nd

7. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Never said it was, and you are putting words into my mouth. The only thing I was replying to was someone's comment about Demo's lyrics being awkward, not holding the lyrics up to the band's current ability-- And even HT-era ability. Again-- putting words into my mouth. You're misinterpreting the conversation.

Also never said I didn't like the song either, and it's awesome that they released it to us. Props to LP for being awesome.

All I said about the song was that ((In my opinion)) it was their most emo/angsty song ever, even moreso than Given Up. Am I wrong? Now THAT is the question. :p

Seriously. :facepalm: x double infinity. And yes, you may have a point how it's lyrics can't be compared to Given Up by the same quality standards, but that doesn't discount my opinion.

8. LPHybrid Soldier

LPHybrid Soldier Banned

Any one know if LP is coming to NY on the next tour or later this year? Still havent been to a LP concert

9. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

For the second time, I understand what the song is about. The rest of your post seems to agree with my point that "Given Up" is unlike the other songs on the album in terms of how angsty it is. Thus my point about it sticking out like a sore thumb.

As for what Storm said: it would be much easier to converse with you if you didn't go off on such tangents.to make this easier for you, I'll repeat: You can't use the fact that other songs on MTM aren't complain-y (trying to avoid the word "whiny" for semantics sake) to prove a point about "Given Up" not being complain-y. It puzzles me as to why you can't see the flaws of that way of thinking. If you can't understand that songs aren't bound by the albums they're put on, even it they are VERY loosely tied conceptually, then I don't feel like putting any more effort into explaining it.

10. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Yep I know it's quite different, on a sound and on a lyrical point of view, than the rest of MTM. The thing I was trying to say is that it's not necessary a bad thing. In you first post you were saying Given Up is different from the rest of the album which is mature. SO basically, that Given Up is immature. Which I don't think it is, as I explained in my post.

11. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Complain sounds better to me than whiny, as whiny is to complain or protest in a childish fashion. I know very well songs doesn't necessarily to have a connection like the ones in ATS did, but MTM is however a way in between of HT and ATS to me. HT has that very loose tie you say, where every song could relate to the same two characters and still be random, but MTM is connected by a higher significance, which are social problems altogether.
    I simply stated my point because from how you wrote I understand you would gladly have had MTM without Given Up and defined it immature, while I think that song has some weight in the album and needed to be put in. If it wouldn't be for Brad's guitar making it interesting, you could say exactly the same about No More Sorrow. It has a similar message, just a "we" instead of "me", right? For the rest is the same song pretty much. In one he screams put me out of this fucking misery, in the other he screams thieves and hypocrites <<putting me in this fucking misery>>.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  12. Inferno

Inferno Firing squad or lineup?

Ah, good point, I can't believe I never really thought about it that way. I still don't think they are that amazing though.

Don't get me wrong, Papercut is definitely on my top 3 list, I just don't think some of the lyrics are that great.

Edit: I'm not trying to bash Papercut, I'm just saying, while people are busy hating on SIB, BID, GU, DS, and Figure .09, that, IMO, even many people's favorite songs, like Papercut, don't have THA BESTEST LYRICS EVAR!

13. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Try not to double post, dude. :)

14. Inferno

I didn't, they were responses to 2 different people and the original posts were by different people, so I didn't plan on posting twice from the beginning. It just happened that I wanted to reply to someone else after the first one.

Edit: If that still counts, then I'm sincerely sorry, and I'll try and watch out for it.

15. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

In those cases just click the quote button on the bottom right of their posts that has a + sign. Then go to the bottom of the thread and hit reply to thread

16. Inferno

Thanks for the tip, but I had already posted the first one, then found the other one that I replied to later. Is there a way to string it together after you already have one posted?

17. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Edit the second one. Copy everything you wrote, and then hit delete on it. Edit the first one and paste what you copied into the first one and save the edit, then both are in one

18. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I just hit quick reply and copy what I see in the box. Then go back to the previous one and edit it in. This reduces Bliss' need to delete stuff

19. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

That's what I normally do, but I was saying for what he already posted and if he accidently double posts he can just do that

20. Inferno

Thanks for the help! (See, I'm learning!)

On another note, I would like to retract what I said about Papercut. What you've said has made me realize that I was wrong, and now Papercut has gone up even higher on my personal scoring chart, and may even be my favorite song.

Edit: I just don't like this line right here (bolded):

"I know I've got a face in me
    Points out all the mistakes to me
    You've got a face on the inside too
    Your paranoia's probably worse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.