LPA Monthly Mix-Up February: "Burning In The Skies" Free-For-All

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    MajiksMonster

MajiksMonster Producer/Musician

I'm in. This sounds like a good one.

UncertainSound

UncertainSound Well-Known Member

Can we only use samples from the song or can we cover it (or even just cover the vocals and change the rest of the song)? Because if that's the case, I can probably get one of my friends to cover the vocals and change it up to my liking and change the song completely :)

(I'm not much of a singer :p)

MajiksMonster

MajiksMonster Producer/Musician

But we don't HAVE to mash-up, right? We just have to remix Burning In The Skies, using no vocal samples from LP, but it's okay to sample the instruments from the original song for the mix? Is that correct?

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Good idea. :)

Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

I could not be more unhappy about this. I withdraw my runner up BITS entry from October and enter it here. Lol.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

You can enter more than one month you know.

Also to answer several questions:

1. No covers, must be Linkin Park vocals.

2. Sampling the drums from Paper Planes is technically sampling another artist. The problem with using samples is that they are not legally cleared by the label of that artist, and could land you/LPA in hot water. Technically these remix contests haven't gotten the official stamp of approval from Warner Bros yet, but they seem to alright with it because they haven't had Adam write us yet. Still it's not a good idea to test another label's patience, so we'd rather have you use royalty free samples (drum kits in a music production software) and create a drum loop from that.

3.You can use whatever you want from Burning In The Skies to make your remix, you can even make the vocals into a beat if you want. Just no sampling other artists, and no mashups.

4. We'd prefer all BITS and not a mix of another LP song (like TLTGYA). It's more challenging that way, and will force people to think outside the box.

UncertainSound

So, essentially, all other parts broken down can be be created by us, we just HAVE to include the official vocals from the song in there? What if we include the official track of another instrument and redid the rest (like vocals), for example, maybe the bass or drum track? I'm asking because I'm thinking of a few ways I want to do this. I'm thinking either trying to turn it into a pop song or maybe a punk song, or maybe acoustically with a female vocalist. I'm trying to make sure what my limitations are. Or is this strictly a "remix" contest and we can only do stuff like electronica, dubstep, etc?

EDIT: or what if we use the original vocals but can lay our own vocals on top, or switch between the two, or add or own lyrics as well?

Yaseen Alam

Yaseen Alam Well-Known Member

I'm making a dubstep remix to this. brb.

Derek

I see what you're asking here, and get where the confusion is so I'll give an exact idea of what you can and cannot do.

Usage of any part of the Burning In The Skies multitracks are permitted. If you wish to sample the guitar, drums, bass and vocals from those tracks we won't hold it against you. We do encourage that you create as much of the "broken down content" as possible as the more 'original' the track, the more impressive. You cannot change the lyrics (we may permit that in future months but for right now no), but you *may* add background vocals as part of the submission, however the Linkin Park vocals must be front and center and may not be blatantly replaced by your own vocals...however; if "ahhs" and "oohs" or doubling a line in the song will enhance the track, go right ahead. You may also alter the pre-existing vocal track's pitch, and melody using autotune/melodyne if you wish. M_Macdonald used MeloDyne to completely reinvent the melody of Chester's vocals in his Given Up remix and we actually gave him praise for it. We'd in a way like to stray away from say using the lead guitar in Given Up on Burning In The Skies, cause it technically turns it into a mashup at that point, so tread carefully there...but otherwise, reinvent the song as you see fit. Just remember, the goal here is to still make Linkin Park the star attraction. The moment that it becomes a cover, is the moment it kinda no longer is a true remix.

Sound good? Hopefully we aren't limiting you too much there :).

UncertainSound

Thanks for clearing that up. And if everyone likes the video I provided, I can upload it to SoundCloud without the LTGYA ending and use that as a temporary submission. Honestly, I've been really busy lately and I'm not sure if I'll time for this contest :(

Jason

I am perfectly aware that I can enter more than one month. I am simply expressing regret that I already used that particular Burning in the Skies remix for october's competition. I wish that I would have done something else in October, and used my BITS remix for this month had I known what February's genre would be. That is all I was trying to express with my post, I apologize for not making myself clear.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Derek

Well, you have 26 days to enter. That's 3 1/2 weeks to create something new if you don't want to recycle an old song. I think you can do it :D.

Jason

It's possible. I mean, I already have all the audio samples and vocals saved on my pc. I would just have to create a new track. Burning in the skies is tough to remix though... The time signatures are a little tricky. The verses are in 6/4, the chorus is 4/4. Making a 4/4 beat is as simple as it gets, but a 6/4 beat can get complicated. edit: Obviously 6/4 isn't rocket science, but not as easy as 4/4.

Derek

And that's why we did BITS, cause we like to make it difficult. :trollface:

Jason

No objection there. Since half my work is already done (vocal tracks, etc.), this month shouldn't be too hard for me to throw something together.

See you in 3.5 weeks.

ps:My 21st birthday is this month, so I expect to win regardless of the quality of my remix. kthx ;]

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Just to say, there seems to be slight confusion as to what the exact time signature of the song is, but I agree with jas0n39 (who presumably had to work this out for his October BITS remix) in saying that it's 6/4 in the verses and 4/4 in the choruses.

For anyone having any difficulty setting up the correct time signatures in their audio workstation:

Set your tempo to 120. Turn off any "snap" or "grid" mode, zoom in, and manually align the track so that the first piano stab at the start of the song starts bang on Bar 12 (see attached) Picture 19.png .
    From there, the changes in time signatures are as follows:

Bar 1: (The ambience at the start) Freeform, no real time signature as such, I left it at 4/4
    Bar 12: 6/4
    Bar 29: 4/4
    Bar 39: 6/4
    Bar 52: 4/4
    Bar 110: 6/4

I'm probably just repeating something that many people have already done fine themselves, but just in case anyone was having difficulty with the time signatures, which are more complex than your average Linkin Park radio hit :)

Edit: Actually, sorry, Jason said 6/8, my mistake. I think it's actually 6/4 but both will end up working fine

Derek

^^ And the above is why macdonald kicks ass at remixes. Well worded sir.

Jason

Haha I originally said 6/4, then edited the post to say 6/8 after I saw that was what most people were saying. I thought I may have made a mistake... but yes, my original thought was 6/4, and now that m_macdonald just laid down the law, I am confident in my original statement. I guess I should stick to my guns lol. Sorry guys :/

Derek

In addition, I believe some music software may allow you to change the time signature next to the tempo. That way if you use any loops it adheres to that.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Anytime good sir!

Ah, that explains it, I was SURE you'd said 6/4 before, I thought my eyes had deceived me :p But yes, I'd agree with you that I think the verses are 6/4, although 6/8 will also line up with the song fine I believe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.