LPA Monthly-Mix Up November - Winner

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

We would like to thank all those who participated in this November's Monthly Mix-Up challenge! This month was by far the most active in the series' history, with over 35 submissions. Not only was the quantity of entries unprecedented, but the quality of submissions made it incredibly hard to narrow down the field into a list of contenders. We both applaud you and curse you for making it so difficult for the judges!

Without further delay, the winner of November's Monthly Mix-Up challenge for the theme of Mash-Ups is...

WINNER: m_macdonald
    Click here to listen!

For the second straight month, Michael swooped in during the dying moments of the contest and floored us. His mash-up of four Linkin Park songs forced us to re-evaluate our initial position that it would take more than a LP vs. LP mash-up to win this contest. Great job, Michael!

Songs Used:
    Linkin Park - Now I See (With You demo)
    Linkin Park - When They Come For Me
    Linkin Park - Wretches & Kings
    Linkin Park - Numb/Encore (Bonus Beat)

RUNNER UP: UncertainSound
    Click here to listen!

UncertainSound's mix of Pendulum's "The Vulture" with "Blackout" was a fantastic use of Chester's rapid-fire vocals with Pendulum's high-tempo drum and bass. This runner-up is no stranger to mashing up songs, with many fantastic mixes to check out on his YouTube channel!

Songs Used:
    Linkin Park - Blackout
    Pendulum - The Vulture

RUNNER UP: GlenOrpheus
    Click here to listen!

Glen did a great job fusing rap verses into Somewhere I Belong to give the song a whole new feel, most notably with his inclusion of Grandmaster Flash's "The Message". With SIB's signature backward guitar looping in the background, Glen's entry is a familiar-sounding but refreshing take on the original.

Songs Used:
    Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong
    Fort Minor - Remember The Name
    Grandmaster Flash - The Message

RUNNER UP: DJIntensity
    Click here to listen!

DJIntensity's combination of MIA and Linkin Park is not what you could call a conventional marriage, but it works! The laid-back nature of "Paper Planes" fits very well with the slow-tempo ballad "Waiting For The End". Nicely done!

Songs Used:
    Linkin Park - Waiting For The End
    MIA - Paper Planes

Thanks again to everyone for participating in this month's challenge! We're taking a break from the contest until January 1st, at which point our Monthly Mix-Ups will start on the first day of the month and end on the last day. See you in the New Year!

_Depression

_Depression Well-Known Member

Congrats to all the finalists! They all did a real amazing job.

No novelty awards this month?

Mark

Last month's honorable mention was mostly because GlenOrpheus submitted a really good entry, it just didn't fit with the month's theme. I can't see us doing that very often.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

And thanks to Mike Shinoda for featuring this competition on his blog. Although January's competition will not be mashups, we still hope to have the same level of great entries from all of you here! Thanks to everyone who entered, it was VERY tough to choose and took us two days longer than usual to come to a consensus.

UncertainSound

UncertainSound Well-Known Member

Can't believe I got runner up, this is awesome! :p

I loved the mashups in this competition, it was great to hear all these amazing mixes from this community. Looking forward to what future competitions bring!

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

That would be me.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

You wish :p.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Very much so.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Congrats to the winners! On a side note, I would like to point out that I was the only member who was ballsey enough to mash up Linkin Park with Country. A genre that I'm not very fond of. Yeah, I knew it wasn't good enough to win, but I can atleast say I had an entry that was unique and pushed my musical boundary...

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The best month yet, and some very very good entries. Anyone have a download link to UncertainSound's remix?

His and DJIntensity's are seriously going on my playlist.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Weakest month yet imo.

Mark

How did I know when I saw the last post in this thread was made by you, that it was going to be unnecessarily negative?

There was no need for that. I don't care about rights to freedom of speech: if you don't have something productive to say, then don't say it.

Better yet, make your own remix and show everyone how good things can get. But don't insult the hard work and talent of others by saying their collective efforts were weak.

The nerve of some people. Wow.

travz21

I fail to see how expressing my judgement of a competition is unnecessary.

They aren't bad, just not as strong as other months.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Well done to everyone. My favourite won. :)

Mark

For some reason you felt it necessary to let everyone know their efforts were weaker than in recent competitions. What exactly does that accomplish? To make people feel bad? There is no reason to make such a comment.

Great idea: If you don't have something nice to say to someone, and that person has done nothing to offend you or invite your scorn, then don't say anything!

Enough with the Negative Nancy routine. It has become predictable and annoying.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! Really means a lot for you to select my entry as winner again this month. I'm really glad you enjoyed my entry. It's a tremendous boost to have someone praise something I've made like that, and for that you have my thanks!

Congratulations to the Runners Up. Most of my own favourite entries made it to the final few, and I would happily have seen one of these entries win over mine.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

travz21

You know that by picking a winner this month, you're telling everyone else that their efforts were weaker? Why would you do that to them?

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

@m_macdonald

you sir, are a genius!

Mark

They signed up for the contest knowing that there would be a winner crowned. We also commended the efforts of everyone for the quality of their entries and for making it hard on us to pare down the list to crown a winner and runner-ups.

They did not, however, enter to be belittled by a unyielding malcontent with an insatiable appetite for conflict. I suggest you follow my recommendations and pipe down with the negativity, instead of trying to pick singular sentences from entire posts to have a battle over semantics.

Now knock it off and take yourself elsewhere.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Do you ever have anything positive to say? Every post you make on here is trashing one thing or another. I hope this isn't how you act in real life, because it must be sad and lonely being so negative all of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.