Occupy the Planet

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by $pvcxGhxztCasey, Oct 1, 2011.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I saw that this morning. Good stuff.

Gotta laugh at the tea baggers mocking this. Not every group has a cable news network backing it.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

"America cannot expect a bunch of disenfranchised park-dwellers to come up with a solution to its economic woes -- they have a political ruling class to do that."

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought that was brilliant.

I'm not a fan of Anonymous somewhat hijacking these protests however; I am with them on their whole cause and everything, but Anonymous is the same "group" of people that bully people online mercilessly and once asked a 10 year-old girl to strip in front of a camera. No matter what I feel about them politically, I cannot get behind them with that hanging over their name.

SuperDude526

Since this topic has apparently died, allow me to jumpstart it slightly with this:

[​IMG]

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

It's not dead, I've just been busy. I shouldn't have to be the only one updating this, though. If you see an article, or a YouTube video, or ANYTHING related to Occupy Wall Street, PLEEEEASE post it.

I can't wait for next Monday. Anon is threatening to erase NYSE from the internet.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This is why I don't even pay attention to anything claiming to be "Anon" anymore. Anybody can claim they're "Anon" and post messages on behalf of "Anon". It's been that way forever, and it's beginning to be eye-roll inducing in the past few weeks. The left hand isn't agreeing with the right hand. Then again it never has.

More here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394128,00.asp#fbid=TpohpF3tuSy

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I usually go by what the AnonPress publishes on their Facebook page, in relation to what Anon videos/statements are real and whatnot.

EDIT: That whole statement seems really... weird. They wouldn't attack on a holiday? I think that's a red herring, but we'll see come the 10th.

Derek

But as the statement said, why would Anon use LOIC, when it has flaws? It's like putting a big "arrest me" sign on their back, if their identities are discovered. Sure them being arrested might make them a hero to some people, but it really wouldn't help advance the "movement" at all.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

This is the voice of Anonymous, all we really want is Battletoads for the Wii. I ACCIDENTALLY A WHOLE MARBLECAKE LOLZ

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I don't know, but with their recent declaration of war on NYSE, I really wouldn't doubt if an attack on their website is imminent, even if it's not on the 10th. Just strikes me as odd, holidays don't fucking matter to Anon. It never has. Time will tell, I guess.

I don't really think the whole Occupy movement really NEEDS the help of Anon, they're starting to get noticed a lot more since they aren't leaving anytime soon, the cops making real asses out of themselves, and people like Keith Olbermann and (for better or worse) Michael Moore and other celebrities lending their name to the cause. If nothing else, it's definitely interesting. Even more interesting is to see what's going to happen in a few weeks/a month when the temperature starts to drop. A lot of people are thinking that'll disrupt it. I don't really think so.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

When it gets colder, the kids will go home to play WoW again and say they're taking a break from protesting to establish their further plans.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

"Anon". Doesn't. Exist. Not in the way you and for whatever reason everyone else keep referring to it, anyway. Example;

Everyone that isn't Casey, make a new LPA account. Then post in this thread saying "Anon thinks your a douchebag, Casey. We've expelled you from The Plan". Congratulations, "Anon" has expelled you. That's exactly the same thing as "Anon" doing literally anything else.

And that's why this "new Anon" attack doesn't gel with old "Anon" attacks. Because this Anon, last Anon, the Anon that made Jessi Slaughter cry, the Anon that posted Nikki Catsourous pictures everywhere aren't internet superheros. It's a group of people that don't identify themselves. And are therefore an "anonymous" group of people.

tl;dr derp derp duuuuuuur

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

No, I'm pretty sure it's a leftist terror cell.

Derek

I can't help but wonder how the internet would be if 4Chan never existed. Hmmm...

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Derek was right, the attack on the 10th to NYSE was indeed fake, apparently. The plan (Operation Greenout) is now apparently Anon doing "something" to banks like Bank of America, CitiBank, Chase Morgan, because they facilitated the media blackout of Occupy Wall Street, or something, on the 15th, I believe? I'm not sure on the date, can't remember it off hand.

In other news, and also related to what you said about your local chapter: Mine (#occupynashville) started their occupation of Legislative Plaza a few hours ago. I plan on going down there on my next day off and handing out lunches, or something. Anything.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Probably the same, seeing as other chans and anonymous image boards exist. Not exactly sure, but I think 2ch (Japanese anon board) gets more hits than 4chan.

SuperDude526

Derek

I wish the protesters would've made their message as clear as the NYT just did in their op-ed. Then people wouldn't have been as quick to mock this movement. It really was badly organized, and it's a shame because I really do agree that we are the "generation of lost opportunity". We've had our futures robbed from us in many ways, and it's a shame as this country used to be the place you'd go to if you WANTED to succeed. It was what was popularly referred to as "The American Dream". Now you move here, and are greeted by a broken economy, no jobs, and uncertain times that jeopardize the future of this country as a whole. This is not the America I grew up with, and I do certainly blame wall street/and these lenders as the reason the country took a dive. They sold our country to the highest bidder and now we're paying for it.

So for the record, I would've supported this movement if they had made the same level of sense that the NYT article did. Protests are a good idea, when done right.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

For what it's worth, nobodys saying protesting as a whole is stupid. Just that the schmucks Caseys flying the freak flag for happened to be some of the most hilarious group of oblivious fuckwits ever to try to leech credit from anything. The Wall Street protests were planned way before "Anonymous" courageously decided to join the struggle and turn it into the jerkiest of circles.

On the other hand, I genuinely think a lot of these op-eds are about trying to give the protests an identity, not helping it voice it's real one. For as everyone wants to say it's way, way different from the Tea party rallies, you have to recognize that even before these past couple of weeks they've been getting way more media attention then they were acknowledging. I can only assume "Social revolutionaries sparked by oppression and trying to be ignored by the media" just had a better ring to it than "Well, Fox did these a while back so... payback fuckers..."

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  20. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Probably, although the one time I've actually been on 2chan in particular it was pretty different to 4chan. As in, it was obviously the same kind of site but the discussion seemed a lot politer with less people trolling and being dicks to each other.