Occupy the Planet

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by $pvcxGhxztCasey, Oct 1, 2011.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

So the people of this country should shut up? Please elaborate on this.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think kids who protest for the sake of protesting and who have absolutely no direction, are misguided and who aren't even well organized should shut up yes. Do you have a clear answer as to what OTP is about? Do you even know why they're protesting? No. And neither do the kids who march out there to look cool and protest because "OMG GUYS WE WANT TO DO A REVOLUTION!". Proof here:

In short, they we're like 'OKAI, WE'RE GOING TO GO PROTEST BUT DECIDE WHEN WE GET THERE WHAT WE'RE PROTESTING ABOUT LOL'. They're idiots, and won't be remembered as heroes or the start of any revolution. If you're going to rebel and protest, you should know what you're fighting for, not just make it up as you go along. There's a reason why 4chan/Project Chanology are at war with these kids: OTP has no fucking clue what they're doing.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Yeah, at least Chanology ostensibly had a worthy cause, or even just a definite cause for that matter.

If anyone takes the wheel and something good actually comes from this then great, otherwise I'm just indifferent to it at best.

Somebody gets it, it's just good for a laugh based on the times I've looked there.

Then again that sums up the whole site for me, nothing to take too seriously but good for some fun if you've got nothing better to do.

Benjamin

I think it's pretty obvious that it's an overal liberal movement consisting of people frustrated with corporate greed and the gap between the rich and poor. But even if there are conservatives there who are protesting the complete opposite, so what? What's wrong with the general public showing it's disapproval in the current system in ways other than going in comment sections or forum threads saying OMG WTF GOVERNMENT Y U NO TAX RICH MORE (or whatever).

With all of that said I'm not going to go around spreading OMG OCCUPY THE PLANET GUYS like other people have been. I do not believe in that brainwashing bull shit nor do I associate myself with this "anonymous" hoopla. I just think it's a breath of fresh air to see people out in the streets showing their frustration instead of on the internet at home. It may even give our politicians a more sense of urgency.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm pretty sure politicians don't give a shit about people in the streets unless they're carrying weapons and burning/destroying everything around them. When did anyone get anything with peaceful protests..

Dean

Violent "protest" doesn't necessarily get you anywhere either, if some people's reaction to our current government is anything to go by.

Benjamin

You'd like to think the good politicians would, indeed, give a shit. But it does seem like there aren't many of those anymore.

And Dean there's a third option:

Do absolutely nothing and hope something good happens.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

235 years ago the government actually did what the people wanted it to do, since that was what it was created for. Now the government owns the people. Way to go, America. Thanks for letting that happen. Now we can protest all we want and it won't make much of a difference because the higher powers can do whatever they please. Especially since they don't even follow the constitution anymore.

El Muerto

So I'm reading this thread and I just realized that on this exact day (05.10) 11 years ago we overthrew our government with violent protests.

And where are we now? Sure we don't have one dictator ruling our country but we have an entire government of them, with the opposition that is even worse. We don't have one man stealing our money, we have 20 of them. We're still poor, still on the brink of war, still not in the EU, we have more unemployed people than ever.

And the sad thing is that I think all those Arab countries that had revolutions this year will see the same fate. There's no true democracy nowadays, it's not about the people anymore, it's all about the money..

/random rant

travz21

That's the bad part about overthrowing a government. Unless you have a solid plan in place, something worse could take over. That's going to be the case in all of the Middle Eastern nations we destroyed. We don't even know how to run our own country. Do you think we'll actually be able to help these nations with rebooting their government? Maybe if Thomas Jefferson were still around.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

lulz get a job

and these people need to get a job, too. THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AMIRITE

let's continue to make fun of these people because they can't find a decent job, which just happens to be one of the reasons they're protesting. They're the overeducated and under employed, it's not like 100% of them are burnout hippies or something. What about the war vets taking part? The active marines? The people over 30 that are there?

Way to sound like the right wing media that you guys hate sooooo much.

http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-demands-please-help-editadd-so-th/

The above link is a much better, more thought out list of demands that's being proposed. Don't read the other link that's been floating around, labeled as the official "list of demands". That one is like a high school student wrote it for a social studies class or somethin'

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

ummmmmmmmm, try the civil rights movement of america?

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Haven't been following the news much lately so I don't exactly know what to think.

travz21

Most liberals that are protesting don't understand that the rich are our economic friends. They have the capital that we need in order for us common folk to work and they supply goods for the consumer. They are the sole thing that adds value to the economy. They are our production centers that keep the nation afloat and competitive. They have the offices, buildings, machinery, etc. that enables a productive and profitable society. When we go after them and either want to A) Tax them more (or even tax them at all), B) Enforce more regulations and restrictions on them, or C) Both, it hurts the growth of our economy, and if there's too much of it, we start degrading. Now we can't even keep up with our yearly spending and our economy has a negative output. By taxing the rich and hindering the corporations, we just dig ourselves into a bigger hole. The mindset that we have, and that actually does seem most logical, but isn't, is that we should tax the rich more to help with the load. But thinking about things in a different way than we've been taught makes things more clear about how an economy really grows.

They can be computer companies, clothing companies, automobile industries, even local shops owned by small business owners. Any business that produces something adds value to our economy, not just the huge, corrupt corporations that the government allows to buy them off. All of these businesses also supply the public with jobs. By doing A, B, or C, we make it cost more for the businesses to add value to our economy, we make it cost more for them to hire workers and expand their business (if even possible at all), prices go up and effect the consumer, everyone has less money, and our economy doesn't grow.

This is why there are so many people unemployed. It's a part of the reason prices have been going up. And it's part of the reason we're outspending ourselves into a massive debt.

The worst thing for our economy is the federal government. All it does is relocate the funds of its citizens. It doesn't produce 1 cent for the economy. And worse, it destroys value by going to war, sending troops overseas, and paying all of the workers it employs. And a government job is a negative output job to the economy because it doesn't produce value and all it does is takes money from the public. The government also sucks because it regulates the market in an unfair manner. This allows some failing businesses to thrive, which in turn buys off the government to keep regulating things how these corrupt businesses desire, stifling competition and not allowing the small businesses to get off the ground. It just snowballs into a clusterfuck which we're experiencing today.

I don't know how to finish this ramble, but these are just some things that advocates of taxing the rich don't understand. They probably think Elizabeth Warren is a right.

Edit: And I can't forget the Federal Reserve lol. Don't know how I did. The Fed is the most dangerous to our economy. Controlling interest rates and the printing of money without having to answer to anyone. Now that's scary.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Exactly.

Also I am anonymous' leader, just so you know.
    Prove me wrong.

Dean

The best way to help yourself in finding a job at the moment is to be pro-active. Do some volunteer work or something, that's what I did and I went from practically nothing to having interviews/offers for great jobs rolling in. Maybe their hearts are actually in the right place but unfortunately you can't go to Wall Street and essentially just demand that they create new jobs.

Yeah, I can see how that wouldn't quite be your station...

There could well be plenty of people who are sincerely behind this cause, but you can't really blame people here for not taking it too seriously when most of the information is coming via a bandwagoner like you. Remember when you were a Satanist? Remember when you were a Sunni Muslim? And then you were a communist? A couple of months ago you were posting everywhere that you just want a president who'll let you do drugs and now you're suddenly all about putting the world to rights. What's your next bullshit cause celebre gonna be? Kabbalah? Raelism? The only thread of consistency is you doing a pretty pathetic job of coming across as some subversive counter-cultural badass. Fuck outta here. Adults are talking.

El Muerto

That was the best post in this thread haha

edit:

And what's even better is that every time I refresh the page, there's more things in it haha

Dean

[​IMG]

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Thank you Blackee and Dean for being the voice of reason and sense in this thread. Your post(s) summed up absolutely everything I was going to say to Casey and then some.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

This. Motherfucking this.