Transcript: LPU Chat with Chester

Discussion in 'News' started by Louis, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Thats one brilliant interview/chat right there. Relief to see so many good questions answered so well.

I'm so please someone asked him about the DBS acoustic tracks! Chester hadn't forgotten! I sure hope he can convince management to find/release everything we haven't got. :cool:

And so the mystery is solved as to why LP don't play Easier to Run anymore: 'Cause Phoenix doesn't like it! Typical, the one of the few songs with a complex bass line in it. Lazy git :lol:

GekiLPL

GekiLPL Guest

That was an awesome chat!!!

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Nah, they were questions from different people. There's a whole army of creepers out there!

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Lol, I was the one that asked if Chester feared Mike. It was at the point when no one was asking serious questions :lol:

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Lead by the fleshy lips chick.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Chester is the only one in the band that will actually come out and say "I don't like this song". I'm really surprised that his favorite songs are "Papercut" and "BTH" though.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I wonder how many messages and mentions Phoenix has had on Twitter today?

"Y U NO LIKE EASIER TO RUN?!"

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

I love it. Those are two of my favorite songs. Papercut's got a lot of fun stuff for him to do live as well. That bridge harmony is boss.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

That was a fantastic read! So many great questions asked and answered without dodging anything. Chester has always seemed to put his all and have fun in Papercut, so it doesn't surprise me to hear thats one of his favourites, although BTH is a shocker considering I thought awhile ago he said he's getting tired of that song which was why they started cutting it from some of the sets?

Oh, and the nu-metal response was perfect. Hybrid Theory purists can eat it, right from the bird's mouth.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I love Papercut, but BTH not so much. The shocker for me, is that he's said that he feels that they make better music now, though his favorite songs are from the first two albums. I'd put WFTE over both.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I don't think he's had time to begin to appreciate the songs off of A Thousand Suns the way that he does "Papercut" and "Breaking the Habit." Keep in mind that "Breaking the Habit" is a song that's really about him, and really has a lot of greater meaning to him considering the negativity of his personal life up to that point. That's also a song that really features only him, and I think showcases him in a great way, so it's understandable that he likes that song more than others. "Papercut" also makes sense as a favorite, because he can do a lot of things on that song and improvise as he performs it live. He screams at times, does loud whispers, has the harmony at the end...it's a fun song for him as Rosh said. Not particularly surprised that those are his favorites, but I could probably say with confidence that a year or two from now he'll be including "Waiting for the End," considering that he has said in recent interviews that it was his favorite song off of A Thousand Suns.

Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider Who-ligan

I'm glad he said he still likes to scream because I love it. :)

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

wonder if his hate towards runaway is because of the trouble they had writing it. (i remember reading somewhere that osc was actually written when they got stuck on runaway but i may be wrong)

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Really great post man. I agree. The reasons you put out there seem logical to me.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I didn't know BTH was about him. I remember Mike and chester stating Papercut being their fave many years ago, and tbh I think that's the only song that they consistently kick ass with when performing live, prolly because they love the song so much

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

It's actually not. Mike Shinoda wrote the lyrics (he had been trying to write on the topic for six years but he didn't like the results) and then showed them to Chester, who promptly burst to tears. Chester relates the hell out of it, so it's still meaningful to him. It's really hard to ascribe any particular meaning when different band members have different takes on the same song. (ie, WID being emotional to Chester, but Joe puts a political spin on it).

Papercut rules though.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Well, right, it's not about him, but like you said, he feels like it is. He really relates to it, hence why he probably likes it so much more than other Linkin Park songs.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Another interesting anecdote, is that for the longest time Chester could not perform the song live because it was such an emotional and personal song to him. Then pretty much (as the story goes), one day during a concert fans started chanting "Breaking The Habit!" over and over again, and Chester finally just went "fuck it" and they did it. That's why the first performances of it back in 2003/2004 were so emotional.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhhh. I knew Mike wrote it, and how he'd been wanting to write the song for years, but didn't know about Chester's feelings towards the song.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

May I say that Breaking the Habit from Smokeout Festival in 2003 (first performance I believe) is by far my favourite performance of the song? Chester just sounds so vulnerable. I shiver every time I get to the bridge and hear him struggle to finish the song. The rain just adds to the atmosphere of the video.

More on-topic with the interview, I forgot to mention earlier that I'm ecstatic that he still enjoys screaming! I thought that interview when he said he doesn't wanna scream anymore was the final nail in the coffin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.