Mac Vs. PC

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Nobody Can Shave Me Now, Jun 19, 2011.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Im not sure if this has been posted before (i tried to search) But I was wondering what you're opinions are on this topic and why you choose the product you do. Yes, I am an Apple fan boy. I own a Ipod touch 4G, an ipad2, and a Macbook Pro. I guess im just used to the format. Ive been buying apple products since the first Ipod. So, what do you think?

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I got no problem with what you've got....

Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

I actually just switched over to a Mac. I just prefer Mac OS X to Windows. It's really just a matter of preference because both OSes have applications (if not the same application) that do the same thing.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I can't stand Macs and I never will understand why people like them. The Mac OS X tilts me so much.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Personally, as much as I bash Microsoft, I prefer Windows computers over Macintosh computers.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Macs FTW. Apple creates the most beautiful UIs that are just FUN to work with. I've always felt like a guy in a cubicle on a Windows, not to mention all the flaws those Mac vs. PC commercials point out, especially the having to always restart after an update.

Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

Macs have to be restarted after an update as well.

MKH

I don't know what kind of Mac you've used, but mine restarts after like 1 system update out of 100 updates. Windows needs a restart after 85 out of 100 updates.

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

Maybe I'm missing something but can you explain to me how "restarting" is in any way a negative of an operating system?

How exactly does taking a few seconds to restart, either a PC or a Mac, adversely affect your computing experience?

MKH

Well I got over it when I used a Dell, but it was surprisingly refreshing after getting a Mac. I honestly didn't notice all the restarts after a while, but use a Mac for a month and the slight changes really do help sell it.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone that Macs are better than PCs for everyone, but they are definitely for me :lol:

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Hmm. Definitely PC so I can run Linux. Getting a Mac to run Linux is a giant waste o money, and since Mac's don't do games anyway, it's better to dual boot with windows and have two bases covered than get stuck with a silly, worthless macintosh.

And pardon the slight derail, but I am tired of people confusing the hardware and software. The terms PC and Windows are not synonymous and interchangeable. Hardware is not software. I cry everytime someone gets a Windows virus and they think they have to buy a new computer. The options do not end there. One can use this as an excuse to upgrade their windows or at least try and install Linux on that machine. It costs $0 to get Linux and it will probably retrieve the files they lost, too. It baffles me why people throw out perfectly good, 100% working hardware to make toxic waste.

I had a windows machine forcibly restart on me during a programming midterm during class. Also, with some machines (coughwindowsXPcough), it's not just a few minutes. It can be 10+, which is not good when someone needs something in an emergency. Also it's not nice to be running a raytracer that takes 22 hours to render something and then find out that the computer rebooted so now I have to start over. On top of that, it's just plain inconvenient.

Also, it's a design flaw in Windows. My Linux partition rarely needs to reboot to do an update. Only on a kernel update, which are relatively rare compare to the amount of restarts windows needs.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I love how Apple fans claim that Macs are unhackable. I'm sorry but everything is hackable, and hackers who have nothing else better to do in their day hack Apple products.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I used to be a Mac guy, but now I can't stand Apple and their "Do as I say, not as I do" policy. They're suing Samsung because some of their Android phones vaguely resemble an iPhone if you customize the UI to be a grid of icons, but every new feature in iOS 5 is a direct copy of something already in Android, BlackBerry OS or Windows Phone 7. And they're trying to make Mac OS X resemble iOS with Lion. You watch - I bet Lion will be the last version of OS X where you can install apps on your own, the version after Lion will require all apps to be installed from the Mac App Store, then you'll have to jailbreak your computer to install custom apps. That's the direction they're headed.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Meh, in the case of companies, I don't really care what they're doing other than what products they put out. All I know is that my macbook pro is the greatest technological thing that's ever happened to me, haha.

I'm not a computer gamer so the only thing I really care about is speed. As far as I'm concerned, Macs are superior in that regard.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

I agree. This is my first Mac and the speed is much faster than a PC. It takes about 20 seconds to boot. Im not much of a gammer either so im with you on that one. Not to mention (imo) its easier to navigate on a Mac. I did the buy back thing from Best Buy so I plan on sticking with the Mac for now on.

I didnt know you could jailbreak a computer. hmm

Todd

Right now you can't because there's no need to. They're not locked down, you can do whatever you please. But it's pretty clear that Apple's interested in moving OS X towards the same direction as iOS, where it will be locked down and restricted so you can only install what Apple approves in the damn app store. They didn't do it with Lion, but I bet they will with the next version of OS X.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Hey, we agree for once.

Kathy brings up some good points as well.

The bottom line, IMO, is Windows has games. I'm not a huge gamer, but when the new Elder Scrolls or Fallout game comes out, the experience is better on a PC. PCs are much more cusomizable, i can get as many USB 3.0s, Blu-Ray drives, or internal storage additions as I want. I can install any kind of game or any kind of crazy interface changes I want with a PC. With a PC I can choose the way I want my computer to connect to my TV, not have Apple sell me another product and tell me how to.

By the way, I'm in a market for a PC, and I'm thinking iBuypower or CyberPower as opposed to Dell (I've had 2), and HP (I have a lappy). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Todd

Build your own. Cheaper and better.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

I'm not good enough! I'm more of a software dude than hardware. Best I can do is put in extra ram or hardrive

MKH

Only the uninformed fans say that. True, everything is hackable, but you hear about it less with Macs than Windows. It's not that Windows are too much less secure, but there's definitely a bigger market with them.