X-Men: First Class

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Snail, May 21, 2011.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

Is anybody else excited for this film?

From what I could gather at the time of this film's early stages of production, many were displeased. I was skeptical at first, but once news hit that Bryan Singer would helm as producer, I was right on board. Nonetheless, the anticipation for this film did not improve in the eyes of it's naysayers.

Now, seemingly out of nowhere, FOX's marketing campaign for the film is hitting into overdrive. Slapping together a hefty amount of TV spots and trailers, the film is receiving some much more positive feedback from movie-goers. The footage so far, shapes a film in which seems will meet my personal expectancy. I absolutely cannot wait to see if this film will be a surprise success.

Very rarely do I find myself ecstatic in seeing a superhero film purely for it's dialogue and conflicts. It just so happens that 'X-Men: First Class' is one of these films of which I am anticipating. I'm rooting for the film's success in the prospects that a second prequel will be made (developing the characters of Cyclops, Storm, Jean), or better yet an 'X-Men 4' that will conclude FOX's rendition of the story without the bitter aftertaste that was 'The Last Stand'.

[YOUTUBE]frcCCHb9LHc[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Yes I am.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I am really excited! Totally digging the vintage look of this film.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I was waiting on "X-Men Origins: Magneto" to see Magneto single-handedly winning WWII but, yeah, this is great. :D

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

It looks a ton more interesting than the other X-Men movies.

Dean

This pretty much is that film. They just adapted it slightly to be about X-Men in general

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Oh, yeah, guess you're right. :)

Snail

New action-packed teaser is action packed.

[YOUTUBE]Yr8srca2Euw[/YOUTUBE]

Ma gawddduh..

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I saw it today, it's very good. Possibly best in the franchise, certainly up there with X2. Fox have redeemed themselves for the "Blah" that was X3 & Wolverine. Hopefully they hold form for the next Wolverine movie.

Also (SPOILER)
    Funny cameo from Wolverine himself in First Class
    "Go fuck yourself."

(/SPOILER)

So superhero flicks are 2 for 2 this summer with Thor & XFC. Next up Green Lantern & Captain America.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I Thought X3 and Wolverine were both great movies. That's just me though.

Snail

^X-men 3 was an entertaining flick, but it's a terribly flawed and weaker film in comparison to X2.

The 'Wolverine' movie was cheesy and did not meld in with Bryan Singer's vision and style established with X1 and X2. Also, 'Wolverine' was all the more disappointing since X2 clearly presented a much darker ambiance with Wolverine's fuzzy visions of the past.

At the very least, I'm expecting 'X-men: First Class' to be a quality flick in the franchise

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
    Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

X-Men: The Last Stand was an abomination to the story Bryan Singer had built up. Although I suppose it was his own fault since he's the one who left for Superman Returns. Still, it pains me the X-Men films ended in such an anticlimactic way; void of the great character development and dialogue that had made the first two so much fun.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was fun and certainly better than the terrible third film. But that's not saying a lot.

As for this new one, I was very impressed. Matthew Vaughn pulled off a real miracle, I hope everyone understands that. Not only did he have to reinvigorate a franchise that has looked like a beached whale since X2, but he had to make an origin film about characters we already know very well. After all, how exciting can a movie we already know the ending to be? Furthermore he did this under a historically oppressive production company known for interfering with directors' projects and in barely a year's time. Very, very impressive.

Michael Fassbender stole the entire movie. Vaughn did a more believable job of turning Magneto evil than George Lucas did with Anikin Skywalker-- And he had three long, boring movies to get that right.

I was also happy nothing was reserved for a sequel. We have sequels to this movie. They're called X-Men and X2. There's no waiting to see Magneto go evil in the next movie. There's no waiting to see how Xavier gets in the wheel chair. There's no waiting to see the X-Men officially named. The movie totally respects the audience enough to give everything we want to know in one sitting and that's with a ton of other sub-plots and character arcs going on at the same time. The only sin this film committed was not being any longer.

This is easily the best summer blockbuster so far. Forget Thor, or Pirates or the Hangover [remake], this is, surprisingly, the type of movie we needed. And it by all means shouldn't have been....

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Just got back from this. Amazing. I thought it got a little cheesy there for awhile, but the first half of the movie was perfect. I wasn't expecting there to be any story, but that's mostly what we got, and it was brilliant. Really surprised me.

Having hot women all over the place also didn't hurt.

Snail

As I had expected a few months back, this film is really shaping up to be THE best superhero film of the year based on the numerous reviews I've read. It's ironic though, as this isn't true to the comics, and haven't been since the franchise's film debut in 2000.

I was supposed to see this tonight, but other obligations got in the way. /rage.

Dean

Saw it tonight, enjoyed it.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I've read nothing but good reviews about this movie, I should be watching it next week.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I had no interest in it from the commercials, but after I went with friends I really enjoyed it. Made me give a shit about X-Men again.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

so this is actually good? I am surprised, thought it'd be bad.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Marvel has been picking up the slack. Once X3 flopped hard, Marvel was like, "Fuck this, we'll make the movies ourselves." And it shows. The new Hulk movie, Iron Man 1 and 2, Thor, and upcoming films like the Cap movie, the Avengers, the Spider-Man reboot...

Ever since DC put out the reboot of Batman, comic book movies have started becoming very consistent in terms of quality.

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Except the Spider-Man reboot is done by Sony Pictures and X-Men: First Class is by 20th Century Fox; neither are by Marvel Studios. That's what makes it so surprising. Fox is a universally hated studio by film goers and filmmakers alike, the fact Matthew Vaughn was able to turn out a decent film under Fox's gun is really amazing.