What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

You must mean the Ewoks. There aren't any Wookiees in the original trilogy besides Chewbacca.

Either way, I think this should be a lesson to anyone else here that hasn't seen any of these films yet, that it's probably best to watch them in the order they were released rather than chronological order.

2. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

^ Haha my mistake. Corrected.

But yeah, the Ewoks. Terrible move. It belittles the Empire's forces and dumbs down the tension of which should have been a grand and exciting finale.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  3. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Ocean's Eleven - 8/10
    Ocean's Twelve - 7.5/10

Next up later tonight - Ocean's Thirteen :D

4. BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies

All I have to say is wow......

5. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Kung Fu Panda 2 (LOVED IT!!)

6. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I strongly, strongly suggest the original Ocean's Eleven with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr. etc. It's much better and is a classic :D.

7. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Sunshine - 6.5/10

The last 20 minutes or so really blew. I'm surprised I never heard of this movie until last night. A couple pretty big names in it. Very visually stunning and thought-provoking.

8. Jeff

I'll probably get it if I can find it on Blu Ray for consistency :awesome:

DVD is fine too though. :shifty:

EDIT: HA I found it! I'll have to wait to get it though. :/

9. Dean

Easy mistake to make, I don't really mind them myself personally though. I think it is some kind of riff on the war in Vietnam, and that it's supposed to be about them turning out to be pretty deadly instead of the Imperials just being incompetent. Whether or not they pulled it off I don't know, from memory I think they did but I haven't seen any of these films in full for a while.

Plus, by that point you've gone through nearly three films of their troopers not being able to hit anything they fire at anyway haha.

10. sotrix

sotrix @lplive

The Illusionist (2010) - 4/5

Though it was a bit too simple, storytelling doesn't get much better than this.

11. Jeff

Tron: Legacy - 6/10

6 points for it being visually stunning

0 points for it being really boring.

--------------bump---------------

True Grit - 8/10: Other than a few parts that dragged out, I quite enjoyed this movie, even though I'm not real fond of westerns.

The Green Hornet - 6.7/10: It was entertaining for the most part, but it was just OK for me. Some effects tended to look a little cheap for me, and it was a little too goofy in a lot of parts.

12. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Stargate (1994) - 2.5/5
    I went in thinking this would have some hard sci-fi shit, instead I was a little surprised when I found that was nothing more than an action/adventure film. I really liked the idea of the Stargate and would've loved to see them explore that more, instead they went with a very archetypical action/adventure plotline which I found quite underwhelming. Maybe it's my fault going in with a preconceived idea in my head (couldn't help it, the tv shows look quite sci-fi heavy). But looking at it for what it actually is I thought it was a pretty good watch.

Equilibrium (2002) - 1.5/5
    Ugh. This movie takes itself waaaay too seriously. The action sequences, especially the "gun kata", looked fucking ridiculous. Plus the whole thing screams The Matrix. Even the plot and setting didn't seem interesting to me. The concept is very sloppily developed thus leading to plot loopholes and the dystopian setting in this movie has probably been done a million times before and better. Dumb movie which could've been fun if it hadn't taken itself so seriously.

Paul (2011) - 2/5
    It wasn't very funny, especially when you look at the pool of talent that's involved in this! It's actually quite hard to believe. I'm a big fan of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, but their writing here seemed very rushed and sloppy. Maybe it was a quick paycheck for them, who knows. There weren't a lot of good jokes in it, plus it didn't take any risk at all story-wise. I however thought that Seth Rogan was pretty entertaining. The CGI on the alien was done pretty well too, especially for a comedy. But overall I was pretty disappointed.

Jackass 3.5 (2011) - 4/5
    Call me crazy but I thought 3.5 was more entertaining than part 3! There were so many great stunts that they left out from the original film... it's crazy! I guess they leaned for the 3D-heavy stuff for the film (not all of which were exactly funny) and left a lot of the other stuff for 3.5. Plus the interviews were more interesting this time around too. I really enjoyed this.

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (Documentary) (2004) - 5/5
    Not really a fan of the band but this movie still kept me hooked from start to finish. It was just so crazy to see how big bands like this operate and how fame and success can twist their personalities. The complexes, the battle of egos, lack of inspiration... all of it was just so intriguing to watch. Great film!

13. Dean

What part of Stargate's premise made you think it might be hard sci-fi? :lol:

14. Agent

The TV shows I guess. They give a major modern day Star Trek-y vibe. I donno lol.

15. ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

I read a really interesting interview somewhere, I forgot which dude it was (he was onboard for IV & V, but kicked off before VI. Anyway the dude said the Ewoks were included for the sake of toy sales, because toy sales accounted for more money than the films, same reason for Han Solo not dying in Return of the Jedi.

16. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Super 8 - 7.5 out of 10

*Mini Spoilers*-> Ugh, I had very high expectations. It reminded me of E.T. way too much (Main characters=kids, alien that just wants to go home but can't, etc.). The only thing that was different is that it was scarier and the alien didn't chill in a closet.

Other than that though I thought it was good. I was looking for more originality which I didn't get but oh well.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  17. Agent

^ Dude use invisible tags on the spoiler section.

18. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Timecrimes - 7/10. Really sweet film for time travel lovers. Really gets you thinking.

Mother - 9/10. Everything about this movie seemed like it was going to be predictable, but it turned out to be completely new and refreshing. I'm really loving the stuff Joon-ho Bong makes.

19. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Hangover 2. I think the first was better, but this one is pretty funny too.

20. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

The original ending would've had Han die in RotJ, and Luke and Leia NOT being brother and sister. Instead, Luke goes on a quest to find his sister, traversing the galaxy like a lone samurai. Leia is left to run the Alliance alone.

------

RENT: Live on Broadway (2008)

The last performance of RENT on Broadway. This musical always finds a way to get to me emotionally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.