Natural Disasters

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by ThaHandyman, May 26, 2011.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

As someone who just had their house sucked up and ran over by a tornado, I thought I'd open a natural disaster topic. How do you think relief should be given/not given by the government? Ways to prevent catastrophes (simple geology can prevent a lot of stuff, like not living in dangerous areas). Just whatever!

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Wait, is your house completely destroyed and everything? That sucks man if it is.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I didn't even know that stuff like this is up for debate.. Of course the governments should help their people affected by natural disasters. And all countries should help each other when something major happens, like the recent earthquake in Japan.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Damn straight. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want the government to aid disaster victims.

And sorry your home was destroyed, Handyman. I couldn't imagine going through something like that. At least your safe.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Well honestly I wasn't sure how much the government was involved, I know the churches have given just about anything you can need, and theres Red Cross and insurence. I guess maybe share any of your experiences too, because you see it on the news all the time, or maybe you prepare for the flood or tornado warning, but when it happens to you and your friends its different.

And yeah my house is gone, but all my family was safe in the storm shelter we have. All cars hit, 2/4 totalled, barn is gone. I think I'm emotionally fine, but it was really my moms house, I but I grew up there and still lived there when I'm not at college, so it blows. My girlfriend was on the other side of town and lost her house as well, but her family was safe. I really can't complain, we lost material stuff, just thanking God everyone I knew was safe.

my house: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.147069085305554.26719.100000073905588 (top 4 pics are related)

storm in general, sorry for the ads: http://stormchasermovies.com/piedmont-ok-tornado-may-24-2011-oklahoma/

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Oh, fuck.

This is the "dark side" of what I love to do in the summer - - knowing that though I love absolutely awful storms and tornadoes and such, and will drive halfway across the continent to get them on video...it sucks knowing that that exact thing brings misery to so many. More than once, I've been having a stormgasm through the lens of the camera, and then 30mins later, I come across a bunch of shattered houses. Makes you think. I've helped pull more than one person out of the wreckage of what was once their home - - never gets easier.

Hope you'll be alright, dude.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

So sorry Handyman. At least everyone you know is safe like you said.

It's been one mindfuck of a spring. These tornadoes have been horrendous :(

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Natural Disaster Tax. It was proposed for us when the Queensland Floods hit. Just general goods will be taxed. So buying a litre of milk will contribute something to help the rebuilding of disaster areas. Even though I do give to the Red Cross and the Salvation Army (even in general), as they are the only two charities I trust, I believe that some charities don't contribute enough to the cause as much as they say.

p.s I'm happy to hear you are okay HandyMan.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
    Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Damn, that sucks! :( I'm glad you and your family are all ok. It's so pathetic how much people here complain whenever we get a little bit of rain.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I'm going to be the environmentalist here, and claim that the increased tornadoes/cyclones/hurricanes are a result of climate change.

Really really sorry to see whats happened to you though Handyman. I do believe that the entire purpose of aiming to be a wealthy nation/strong economy is so that they government can help their people out in this kind of situation.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Thanks for the support yall, foreal, and info.

On the news it looked like they've been trying to make tornado proof regular homes forever, but nothing's very practical. They said somthing about a 'hurricane hatch' that can buy you a little time with your foundation, but an F4 tornado will still lodge a car in your house (not mine, my buddies who was in Alaska at the time).

And yeah Joe, I get what you mean. Storms are exciting, hail sucks but its cool and kind of a wonder. Twister has always been a favorite growing up, but maybe I'm biased as its set in Oklahoma, but you never think its gonna actually happen to you.

@ Harlz: I certainly don't think humans are helping the environment much, but it does seem like America is finally making great strides for environmentalism, but how much is real and how much is commercial, I don't know.

Harlz

I love a good storm, hail scares me though cos I love my car but it has to be parked outside :lol:

I don't know, I don't feel like anyone, Australia included, has done anything significant to combat our levels of carbon pollution.
    It's just too expensive to make the initial change to viable renewable energy sources, such as solar, unfortunately.

At least the UK has set a target for a 50% reduction now...

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

*cough Gillard's Carbon Tax policy cough*

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

A set goal for America would be nice, I'm not for big government at all, but I think both parties could pretty easily get a number to strive for. The thing is we have to work exponentially to reduce emissions because of the population increasing, more homes/cars are being built, which by the way populates more areas, making disastors all the worse, especially when families start to build in more dangerous areas.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I think the government should help out. Also, the govenrment needs to fund science and that should never be a topic of debate in my opinion. By funding science in relation to weather, the government will give jobs to storm chasers and to meteorologists to help better understand these storms. This will bring better warning times and more accurate warning systems. I'm sorry to hear about your house, Handyman. I just bought a house in a town where an f-5 tornado ripped through back in '90. I'm fascinated by storms. Yet, I hope it never happens there again. I saw on facebook the band Shinedown was selling a tee shirt where the proceeds go to tornado victims. I think that is a nice gesture. I hope your home owners insurance wont stiff you out of rebuilding your home. You'll get through it though, either way. It's nice to see that you're alright.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Sorry to hear this, man. Hope everything gets back to normal for you soon.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Be careful dude OK is looking to get some more storms tonight.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Thanks again yall, and yeah there's always storms this time of year, our weather is bi-polar as can be. But while I do support government support for meteorology, there's not a lot to improve (from my perspective) on a warning system. It's all over the news stations and radio, all Clear Channel stations had a guy barking locations the whole time. I actually heard the guy saying the location of a mile away from my house before it hit, kinda crazy (had to rely on my Zune darn iphone has no radio!). But the sirens system could use improvement I guess.

Harlz

*is utterly insignificant compared to what is being done in the UK cough hack wheeze cough (am i doing this right?)*

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I agree totally with this sentiment.

Sorry to hear what happened to you, Handyman.