Mr. Bennington's vocals

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Nobody Can Shave Me Now, Apr 19, 2011.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Imo, Chester has one of the all time greatest singing voice. He' seems to master multiple octaves. So I have a few questions that I would be interested on hearing your opinions.

1. What song/songs could Chester cover and make one hell of a contribution?

2. What song/songs do you think Chester couldn't quite cover?

3. What other vocalist do you consider as greats? Would you say they have him beat or do they just come in close?

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'd have to say Maynard James Keenan and Chester are my favorites. I think they can sing with the best of all time. I also don't think it'd be out of line to say Serj Tankian.

But when it comes down to it, I think it has to go to Freddie Mercury.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
    Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

I think that he could cover most songs out there but change it just a little to suit him. (E.g. Wish.)

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Like his more melodic vocals and screaming. Don't like his more aggressive singing so much.

Just in terms of range he probably is a lot closer to being one of the better singers in a rock band at the moment, but I still feel like Linkin Park fans overrate him.

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

1. Alice In Chains-Would?

2. Black Metal and Death Metal songs.

3. Phil Anselmo; Awesome Vocals, and What else Musician Is In a Black Metal band, in a Country band, and A Groove Metal band at the same time?

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think it's a little premature to classify him as one of the best singers of all-time just yet only because he hasn't really been on the scene as long as these other artists. Sure he's a great vocalist, but a lot of the rock "greats" like Steven Tyler, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Robert Plant etc got their respect by being in a band that has achieved commercial success for more than 40 years. Even with The Beatles breaking up in the 70s, they still are influencing bands today and that's something that's hard to accomplish with today's music...especially in the days of the internet where almost anybody can record a song and get it heard in one way or another. We also don't know how Chester's vocals will fare or age with time, so I'd say to wait another 10 years at least before putting him in the "all-time" category.

Could Chester become another Freddie Mercury? Possibly, but he'll have to continue pushing himself vocally like he did with A Thousand Suns and keep maturing as an artist for critics to put him on that pedestal. As much as I love Linkin Park, most of Meteora and parts of Minutes To Midnight were forgettable and it wasn't until A Thousand Suns that I feel they really went back to being themselves as opposed to a product of what Warner Brothers was forcing them to become. My point is: I enjoy him as a vocalist, and find his range to be a lot better than the majority of rock artists out right now...but I feel it's premature to loop him in with Freddie Mercury like some LP fans are, just yet. Chester definitely is one of the best vocalists of the last 10-15 years though. There's no denying that .

travz21

Are we talking about great vocalists who have just done their time and are considered great? Because Lennon and McCartney aren't even in the top 100,000 probably if we're going on vocal ability. When I talk about great vocalists, I'm referring to how well they can sing or how well they could sing in their prime. Freddie's voice didn't age very well with time since he's dead, but he's the best there has been imo.

And if we're going on influential singers that have been around for awhile, then we have to start adding in crappy singers. Like Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, Lennon, McCartney. Even Trent Reznor.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I'm not saying he's one of the greatest singers of all time, because as Derek says they need to stand the test of time, but Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic has a vocal range the size of the grand canyon. It is truly incredible. I had the chance to see them live and they are on point with their performances. He can sing anything, and sing it well.

1. What song/songs could Chester cover and make one hell of a contribution?
    Michael Jackson's "Earth Song". I can imagine him sing with a little bit of growl at the ending. It's also very soft and melodic at the beginning. It could seriously show his singing ability. It's in his range too. [video=youtube;XAi3VTSdTxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAi3VTSdTxU[/video]

2. What song/songs do you think Chester couldn't quite cover?
    Any rap songs XD

3. What other vocalist do you consider as greats? Would you say they have him beat or do they just come in close?
    Mariah Carey, Freddie Mercury, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, P!nk etc. No, he doesn't come in close with any of them. However, he is an AMAZING singer nevertheless. He just isn't a legend. Except his pitch. he goes off key sometimes by alot.

travz21

Wait, you consider Pink a legend but not Chester? What are the requirements to become a legend if Pink is one?

Schen The Genius

Schen The Genius Former LPU Mod LPA VIP

Pink is the color of girly parts, therefore pink is a legend. Unless someone wants to argue with me and say, 'no dumbass, human color is 'Salmon', go look at Crayola crayons.'

But to be more relevant to this thread, I think Chester could do good singing some Bruce Springsteen. Chester could do hip hop, Beastie Boys - So What'cha Want , to me sounds alot like Blackout, slowed down with no screams.

As to vocal greats, I can't really pick any. From my time I'd listen to MJ, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Garth Brooks, Glen Campbell, Bon Jovi, Brittany Spears, BSB, N'Sync, and the Spice Girls BEFORE Linkin Park. I was VERY diverse in music at a young age. At that time Freddie Mercury was already gone 6 years (and 'We Are the Champions' was a theme song to me that the Yankees won another world series before I saw Wayne's World) The Beatles where legends and I had to understand them, I've never liked Steven Tyler or Mariah Carey for obvious reasons, no I have no shame in mentioning the last four in that group because they were popular at the time.

If your going to judge someone on their vocals go watch American Idol, I'm alot more interested in those in the music biz that throw stuff together and get it all to work and produce quality stuff that can appease to everyones ears.

--RS

travz21

What are these obvious reasons that don't actually seem to be obvious at the moment?

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Hurricane by 30stm perhaps?

GekiLPL

GekiLPL Guest

I think a lot of the vocals on MTM were great. The screaming in Given Up was awesome, I love how he sang on songs like 'What I've Done' and 'In Pieces' and the b-side 'What We Don't Know for example.

travz21

That would be cool, I think.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

No dumbass, yellow's the colour of our skin. Has the Simpsons not taught you anything? :lol:

Reading through this thread reminds me of my secret want of seeing Chester on Glee, and showing Puck and Finn how to really scream their rock covers.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I have been barking up this tree foreverrrrr. I want him to cover Enjoy The Silence. He would be perfect for it.

That, and I think it would be pleasant for him to cover Fast Car by Tracy Chapman.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Yes.

1. P!nk's voice has a much bigger range
    2. Her voice has more technical ability
    3. Her voice is more expressive (now this is debatable, since Chester's voice is also very expressive. This is clearly my opinion.)
    4. Chester relies on autotune for studio recording, and you know, p!nk could use it int he studio too. But if you look at live perforamnces, chester goes off key on a LOT of them. P!nk can do a live performance and sound just like the studio version.
    5. P!nk's voice is a lot more powerful.
    6. [video=youtube;3stsDXki__U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3stsDXki__U[/video]

Just my opinion. I still like linkin park's music more.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2011
    travz21

Every single artist uses autotune in the studio. And everyone misses notes in live performances. Chester sounds about as close to studio quality during live performances as any band I've heard.

Plus she's only 31. I'm not saying she's not a great singer. I'm just questioning how you can label her a legend.

All of the reasons you stated are debatable.