Emery

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by whoneedssubtext?, Oct 23, 2006.

whoneedssubtext?

whoneedssubtext? gggg-uNOT

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

They're okay.

I hear they're also rereleasing The Question pretty soon, too.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I like emery a lot. My sister actually just saw them a couple weeks ago and said they're really good live.

whoneedssubtext?

whoneedssubtext? gggg-uNOT

They kick ass live.
    I've seen a few live videos.

LPFreak64

LPFreak64 BACON!!!

'We Do What We Want' Review

This album feels more personal than any other album Emery has released. The title "We Do What We Want" is a concept that the band had that in religion, love, and life in general, we all have found a sense of we will do whatever we want and not worry about the consequences or rules. The albums individual songs deal with more than just that. A good chunk of the songs focus on the thoughts of losing everything. Either by age, disease, or just plain bad luck. It is all dealt with a humility and sense of perspective that only Emery could deliver. Here is a song by song review.

1. "The Cheval Glass" – 3:16 - We open with a song of true repentance and self-judgment. The sound is typical post-hardcore/screamo, however, the message is not. It tells a story of how one person is just as corrupt as another. The singer is offering a chance for redemption. He helps, but the corrupt always tend to fall back into old habits. The singer then gets frustrated and tells the corrupt how "You are dying and the time you spent was wasted / On all the sick dreams of the lie". The song ends with a powerful message and breakdown. This song is everything Emery is and even more. - 10

2. "Scissors" – 3:14 - The next track explodes with a frantic drumbeat and scream. In Emery's normal fashion, they dance back and forth between vocal melodies and screaming. This track is the best example of that. The chorus hook is one of the best I have every heard Emery write. The lyrics deal with a person's last days in a hospital and all their regrets. They question what they have done in their life. They also question if God even cares. However, the song ends in an explosion of screaming worship as the person dies. "The wishful face of the believer / Hope, but there is doubt that bleeds through / Still, I am arrested by your presence / Nothing will compare to you". - 10

3. "The Anchors" – 3:48 - This track deals about holding on to the past. It talks about how it is poison and it will hold you back. The drum work is perfect on this track. The vocals go back and forth between screaming and harmonies. The singer wants to be forgiven for his past, but cannot forgive his self. He tries but cannot do it. He is trapped inside his memories. The song fades away, as does the singer in his memories. - 10

4. "The Curse of Perfect Days" – 4:27 - Track #4 talks about how a person has given everything to fulfill their heart's desire. Soon the song explodes into the person who gave everything doubting and worrying about losing everything. The curse of perfect days is regretting those perfect days because they will miss them when they are gone. But the singer realizes that the love will never die and is contempt with the life that they have lived. - 9

5. "You Wanted It" – 4:16 - It starts with an electro-twang guitar and goes into a viscous scream. The story in this song is about a person being trapped in their own world of everything they could want, but the one thing they really need. While this is a slower Emery song, they still find space to breakdown and blow up the song. However, the overall tempo of the song is slow, and feels like it drags. - 7

6. "I'm Not Here for Rage I'm Here for Revenge (More Than Your Hook Up)" – 3:53 - This track starts with an amazingly high pitched scream and breakdown. The song goes mellow, and the verse flows in and out of two vocalist's melodies.The track's message is about being more than a person's 'hook-up'. However, it is soon revealed that the singer was just being used and exploited. The song ends with an amazing guitar solo as the singer is still spinning from the realization of what had happened. - 8

7. "Daddy's Little Peach" – 4:02 - The song starts with ragtime-like vocals and flows into a nice beat and verse. The song focuses on always having a since of responsibility to always abide to your parents rules or image. The singer screams "When will I be old enough to do what I please?". With an ending like this, not too long. The breakdown builds up with an incredible "Let's turn the lights on!" and then explodes with the screamer repeating the question "When Will I be old enough?". - 10

8. "Addicted to Bad Decisions" – 4:17 - The next song talks about making a bad choice with a woman. It opens with a nice electro/rock synth and guitar combination. While the singer is trying to get the girl, he remembers advice from over the years, and he ends up throwing caution into the wind. The song builds up and goes into a final chorus and fades into the next song. - 8

9. "I Never Got to See the West Coast" – 4:40 - This song is about a person regretting their life so much that they want to kill their self. The track is very mellow with an acoustic guitar and no screaming. The singer questions God and all of their peers. However, the person finds love and has hope for tomorrow. The song builds into a final chorus with the singer offering help and support for anyone who was like they were. - 10

10. "Fix Me" – 3:56 - The last track begins with an acoustic guitar. It talks about being overpowered and helpless. It asks for a higher power to 'Fix Me'. The bridge has a nice guitar and piano interlude. The song shifts into giving more praise and honor for being fixed. - 9

OVERALL: 91%

cstebila

cstebila an emerging paradigm

Didn't feel the Emery album much at all. Seemed very gimmicky. The entire going with more raspy screams seemingly just for the sake of it. While I've enjoyed their previous work, not as sure about this one.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

I like Emery. Good music, good people.

LPFreak64

LPFreak64 BACON!!!

They had to go with more 'raspy' scream this time because Toby (Lead Singer / Screamer / Bassist) is having to do all the singing this time around. Toby is the best screamer in the band but, Devin (2nd Lead Singer / Bassist) left the band, so Toby has to sing everything that was planned for him to sing and the other members of the band have to scream.