ATS - commercialized independence or why didn't LP quit WB?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by os neutral, Feb 21, 2011.

?

Is ATS watered down by WB and should they quit them concerning their?

1. ATS is pure LP and they should stay wit WB

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. ATS is pure LP but they should quit WB

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  3. ATS is still watered down but they should stay at WB

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. ATS is still watered down and they should quit WB

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

How many more albums do they have left on their contract now?

2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I believe as part of the dispute pre-MTM, and contract re-negotiation, they actually renewed their contract so I think they're a ways off till they can break their contract.

3. Dean

I thought they did. I don't really mind them being on Warner I guess, there are probably worse labels they could be on if they aren't just going to go all the way and try self-releasing their music.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

As long as Warner doesn't pull an "Atlantic Records/Lupe Fiasco" on LP, they'll be fine :lol:

5. Dean

It's funny you should mention Atlantic because they're owned by Warner. I'm not sure if that means people from Warner make those decisions for them though.

6. Benjamin

Oh haha I had no idea.

7. os neutral

os neutral Well-Known Member

So what would LP say? Is it about business or music?

What if they went to Mike's house, record a new album and release it on their homepage for free download?
    It's not like they are forbidden to let other people listen to something they did in private with their own gear, is it? Their freedom of speech/expression can't be owned by WB.

And seeing these pictures, can they be taken serious as musicians anymore?
    http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33540&p=1038945&viewfull=1#post1038945
    Well, of course there is no direct connection between the two.

But symbolic for the control WB kept over them has also been their style of clothing. It has always looked so artificially designed to me. When MTM was released they made a sudden switch but ever since it looked like they wanted to fit some kind of stereotype. Call it hipsteresque or whatever, but with ATS I can't help seeing this as symptomatic for them actually having different priorities than doing independant music.

...or maybe LP "is not as talented as they would like to be" (Quote) and they need WB because they can't stand on their own. Just a possibility.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  8. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

They have a contract to adhere to.

9. Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

You might be thinking too far.
    For one, they've got family, they need $ for a living
    They also need promotion to accomplish that, and labels could give them that
    music may or may not be business, and they chose music as they business.
    If they'd wanted more 'business', they'd be putting out Hybrid Theory Part III and Part IV, and not fanbase-dividing music
    only change I see from their style of clothing is they're wearing more mature clothes, that's all. You wouldn't want to wear like hiphop gangsters in your mid 30s.

or maybe LP aren't as talented as you think they are

10. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Like it or not, music is a buisness. A product that a consumer buys into. Hence, the term 'music industry.' Record labels provide a financial investment and garnish attention to an artist. That's their job. Artists, as well as other celebrities, are also offered contracts through other outlets like clothing lines to gain attention to their brand. I don't understand why it is still such a pressing issue towards some people and why they can't just let it go. I feel like we're beating a dead horse here. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!

11. os neutral

os neutral Well-Known Member

There are musicians who aren't hired for this whole promotion program where they dress like what they're told and say the the things they are were made to say and maybe do the music their label likes. It's not also business but only business.
    In this case I wouldn't go as far as saying LP doesn't actually care about their music but I can't be tolerant with that because it lies about what it is.

12. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Every second of music LP makes is owned by WB until they fulfill their contract. They can't go home and make a secret, private album and release it for free without getting sued for probably all they are worth.

And how the F did clothing come into play? What are you talking about?

13. Hybrid

Or they are looking to get money... I'd wear DC shoes around all day or Zoo York caps if I was paid handsomely for it. When you have a clothing line or product line, the more exposure you get your product, the better chance it has of being successful. "Peep the style." And yes, there are musicians who don't have contracts with clothing lines, but you've got to understand that not everybody gets a chance at getting a contract like that too. Clothing lines are just like stock brokers at Wall street. The clothing designers are looking for the brightest, upcoming and most popular stars to help promote their product. It's the 'cool' factor.

I've read this sentence like 20 times and I still don't get what you're gettin at. It's almost like you're contradicting yourself in the same sentence... In which case, why even type it at all?

14. Hybrid

Trav, he's trying to insinuate that the way the band dresses demoralizes the idea that they can be taken serious as musicians.

15. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Yeah but guys, LP haven't sold out, but I'm not content with saying that because I can't be tolerant in it being true, so they have. Also, the way they dress has nothing to do with them getting older, growing up and ultimately their tastes changing, it's because WB want to market them like only they can, but I'm not saying LP don't dress themselves or choose their own dress sense, because they do. Except when Warner have an input. LP don't care about their music, except when WB tell them to. Although, this is all their music so they must be proud of that, except the slower songs like Iridescent because WB like that, but only because LP considered it as a single when it was under the name "Meadowlands", before WB even heard the track at all. So LP are under the thumb of business, this is only business. Except when LP make music without input. Which they do all the time. Except when I like to think WB have an input. LP are not content with WB, but WB are content with them, and because of that LP are content with WB which makes me content with LP on WB, except when LP aren't, then I'm not. I also have no fucking clue what I'm saying, but I know I'm content with it, because I'm not sure if I am.

16. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

[​IMG]

17. Hybrid

Lol. I wasn't intending my posts to sound like they are 'selling out.' I know they aren't but I know they have to get paid too. they've got mouths to feed too, you know? I think LP still cares about their music. If they didn't, they would be putting out music more often and it would sound terrible. I don't think it is fair to say that LP doesn't like their song 'iridescent.' It also just occured to me that your post very well might not have been serious. You got me there. I fell for it. :awesome:

18. Dean

Who here dresses the same as they did ten years ago? What's that? No one?! SELLOUTS.

19. Benjamin

Wow.

20. Hybrid

:awesome: good one, Dean.