ATS - commercialized independence or why didn't LP quit WB?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by os neutral, Feb 21, 2011.

?

Is ATS watered down by WB and should they quit them concerning their?

1. ATS is pure LP and they should stay wit WB

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. ATS is pure LP but they should quit WB

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  3. ATS is still watered down but they should stay at WB

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. ATS is still watered down and they should quit WB

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
    Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Some people seem to forget nü metal was one of the most if not THE most popular music style when Hybrid Theory came out.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Kind of... It was garnishing attention. The most popular would have to go to bubble gum pop. The backstreet boys and NSYNCs. Hybrid Theory, I believe, helped get rid of that and push the 'NU metal' genre. God do I hate 'genres' and classifications of music... lol

Rohit LP

Rohit LP The Silent Red

if indeed BITS nd iridescent were watered by WB...den d chorus wud hav had a more 'what i've done'ish or 'new divide'ish feel to it..

im not xactly able to put in wordswat i want to say..but i hope u get d point...

Meteora was most mainstreamlined ...M2M was also...much more wat LP intended it to be...IMO

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Nope. Nu-metal was actually losing popularity by the time Linkin Park were getting attention. Korn and Limp Bizkit, nu-metals more popular acts (barring Deftones. Because fucking Deftones) peaked in 98/99 and "boy bands" died around the same time as well. Linkin Park arrived in the weird period between nu-metal died and psuedo "punk" bands really got popular, and benefited from it a lot.

In America, anyway.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Years ago, people were complaining about Linkin Park not changing their sound, and called it selling out.

Now, people are complaining about Linkin Park changing their sound, and call it selling out.

I say that we should all just listen to some Justin Bieber and chill out. Can't go wrong with the Biebz. Baby, baby, baby oh.

Blackee Dammet

A good thing to remember is how they aren't the same fanbase. Linkin Park have a habit alienating half their existing fanbase with each release only to have new people fill the void. People bitched when Meteora came out for not setting itself apart, but Meteora was probably the first LP album of the people bitching now.

Which considering it's been 10 years it's to be expected.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

like its been said many times already, ATS is the most experimental/noncommercial album since Reanimation. and I hate to say it, HT was far more mainstream than this. Or as a matter of fact, any album produced by Don Gilmore! :lol:

Sure, BITS, W4TE & Iridescent are poppy, but that doesn't mean the studios' pressurred them to write songs like that. They write for themselves and I think that WB trusts them enough to get on with it. ATS is proof of this.

Look at filmmaker Christopher Nolan. WB lets him make crazy, noncommercial films like "Inception". Yet it ended up being one of the highest grossing films of last year - and it was pure Nolan - without any interference from the studio. The same applies here too.

os neutral

os neutral Well-Known Member

I don't complain LP doing mainstream music just because it's mainstream. Bands like The Beatles managed to be very popular while sustaining a high level of musical originality and sensibility. Personally I think it was possible for their ability to keep music simple but not simplified. I don't like any ungenuine music.

Only if the old LP-style was still the kind of mainstream, WB insisted LP to be. But my guess is, that LP was free to do something else and WB 'simplified' it, whatever they got from LP. I think music can be close to mainstream from any direction.

What makes you believe Rick Rubin wouldn't also adjust to the wishes of WB? At least to some degree I wouldn't rule it out. So WB could have kept a little control through him. But honestly thats pure speculation, how exactly WB satisfied their needs this time, if they did.

Not to start a whole new discussion but I experienced Inception beeing full of eyecandy. Whole city areas bowing into the sky like a Tsunami? Maybe that was convincing enough for WB, nevermind the storyline.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Then you should be fine with A Thousand Suns.

Hybrid

So I'm going to reitterate my feeling that Genres suck. Now since that's out of the way, I'm not entirely sure this "Nu metal" genre died where you say it did... Linkin Park came in around the tail end of it, but, I think "Nu Metal" fizzled out between 2003 and 2005. You have to remember that there are still bands like Disturbed who are still from that "Genre" that are still around and making hit 'Nu Metal' records. Anyways, the appeal of bubble gum pop started to wear out in 2003 with the arrival of emo pop. For clarification, I do live in the U.S. too. Again, I fucking hate genres with a passion, but I think I know what I'm talkin about here.

Blackee Dammet

Nu-metal and accessible radio rock are not the same thing. Actually I think your burning hatred of genre descriptions is throwing you off a bit with your argument. How old are you, btw? Not a slight, but that makes a difference in how you perceived that time period.

Anyway, when Linkin Park first came out, their nu-metal leanings were helped by their pop sensibilities, not a factor in the demise of boy bands. Bubble gum pop in general doesn't ever actually go away, you just replace the Backstreet Boys with the Beibers and Britney Spears with some dumbass in a meat suit and continue on.

Hybrid

I guess that's what I get for never listening to the radio... I'm 27, if that matters.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

You think A Thousand Suns is more mainstream than HT/Meteora?

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

OK, say if your right and WB did ever so slightly intervine with ATS. You have to admit its STILL considerably LESS than their previous efforts. Here what I think IMO of how ATS fits in the scheme of things From their most mainstream Radio friendly work to their most orginal & creative....

Meteora > Minutes to midnight, Hybrid Theory > A Thousand suns> Hybrid Theory EP/Reanimation

the HTEP & Reanimation are probably the pinical of wat LP can achive without studio interferance & I hope/reckon they'll be able to top ATS with the next album.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I don't think Reanimation can be the pinnacle of their creativity if it wasn't strictly their own work. Well, it could be but that'd be a sad indictment.

Success and fame wise, Linkin Park is probably one of the most mainstream bands of today.
    but musically, they're not that mainstream. Yeah, they have some commercial songs in ATS, but it's not generic.

I think LP should quit WB if they're not satisfied with them. But if they are, they shouldn't.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Thanks for making me feel really old.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

You do realise a lot of bubble gum pop music got some of the Gen Y kids through school? Not all of us knew back then that the Backstreet Boys was a one off sensation.

And it's horse shit to say Limp Bizkit or Deftones were good Nu Metal. Early Linkin Park and KoRn were the only good "Nu-Metal" bands around at the time.

I think I was 9 or so when Hybrid Theory came out. But to a mind like mine, Britney Spears was way more important than any Nu Metal crap my brother played.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

You're right. Deftones weren't good.

They were great, by nu-metal standards at least, and since then they've far surpassed themselves.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, I hate it when people judge "Reanimation" as if LP made it on their own. ;" They're like, "Oh, Shinoda made all the final calls so he basically made it himself!" >.<