Why are the new music videos so boring now?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by TimeSpree, Feb 18, 2011.

TimeSpree

TimeSpree Banned

Aside from Shadow Of The Day and Leave Out All The Rest, in the last 5 years all we have seen are these boring generic videos, please bring a new director for the music videos, Joe really fails now :( In The End and Breaking The Habit were both brilliant, why focus on Chester's face for half the video? So annoying. The video for Burning In The Skies was boring as hell, way to fail at promoting one of their best songs.

Edit: This is my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
    Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

I greatly disagree. The MTM videos weren't that interesting, save for Leave Out All the Rest. Minus the Transformers footage, New Divide was also really fun. But the last two videos in particular have been great. Many people complained about the pacing of The Catalyst, coupled with the shortening of the song, but the look of the video itself is really brilliant. The idea of Mike playing some sort of grim reaper character was great and the post apocalyptic, sepia drenched world was beautiful. Regardless of the shorter version of the song it was a fantastic visual companion.

You're also one of the few I've heard that disliked Waiting for the End. It seems to have been received better than The Catalyst. Waiting for the End was not a story driven video. Not all music videos have to be. As I recall Hahn pitched it as an expressionistic take on technology fused with some level of spirituality. The images were relevant and beautiful. I for one loved the video.

In short, I'm not sure how the current crop of videos are in any shape or form, "boring." If anything, I find their newest videos the most intriguing.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

There are a select number of things that piss me off. One of them being starting a thread with an opinion and trying to make it sound like a fact....

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I thought the recent videos have been pretty interesting :shrug:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Obviously it's someone's opinion. You shouldn't have to rely on people saying "in my opinion" to distinguish it as one.

The Catalyst was one of their better videos for a while, I thought. Waiting For The End, not so much. And I understand that a music video doesn't necessarily have to be story driven. It's just that, for a video that's supposed to be all about visual concepts, there's nothing particularly striking about it. That's a problem Joe seems to have had a lot recently. He can come up with a good concept but he doesn't necessarily execute it well.

The less I say about New Divide's video the better. It looks like something anyone could have slapped together on any old video editor. It's hard to believe a huge band, with a song especially for a huge film franchise, would cobble together a bag of wank like that for their video.

Benjamin

But with that wording, he's suggesting it's not his opinion, it's a fact. Starting off something with "Why does..." should be followed by a known fact, not an opinion.

Otherwise, I strongly agree with everything you said. WFTE and New Divide get way too much love.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I take it that you just read into things too much or you take things too seriously.
    As Dean has stated just because someone doesn't explicitly say "In my opinion" does not mean it's not an opinion. If I were to say "The weather sucks today" it would appear to sound like it were fact by your logic while realistically it is just an opinion that said weather sucks.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I have liked how abstract the videos are becoming. I feel that the video that goes along with the music it is representing should be an artistic extension of the song. Just like art, some people get it, and others don't. I respect your opinion on it but I wont let your opinion change my opinion on the matter.

Benjamin

Not the greatest example using the weather. That's not usually something with different opinions. If it's freezing cold, for example, it would hardly be an opinion that the weather sucks (even though in the most technical terms, it's an opinion).

Picture me walking up to you saying "Why are you so dumb?" To me, the thread title isn't much different (although not nearly as personal, lol).

It's just a peeve of mine. Perhaps I'll retract saying it "pisses me off" to just that it bugs me.

TimeSpree

TimeSpree Banned

Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning :)

Benjamin

For the record, I saw your original post.

Jesse

I love rain, you may hate rain in which case you say to me "Why does today's weather suck so much? Rain is so awful. " I, loving rain disagree with you. You're being too cynical of terms. Weather is a fine example to discern opinions.

Benjamin

But see, I wouldn't say that to you. I would say "I hate this rain."

I guess I have too much expectations for others. In my perfect world, the thread title would be "Do you think we need a new director?" It's a trivial thing, I know. I'll let it go.

TimeSpree

TimeSpree Banned

So why are the videos so boring?

Jesse

well now it does appear that it's being made as fact.. things have regressed. :lol:

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

The problem is I don't think it's boring...

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I agree. I miss the days of bad cgi, upside-down ninjas with no purpose, and flying whales. Remember when their music videos consisted of an exciting shot of the band sitting on a couch? Man, those were the days.

Benjamin

Linkin Park overall isn't that great at music videos :lol:.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I'll go against the grain here and say I kind of agree. The last few videos haven't impressed me either. They just seem very disjointed and clunky.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Yeah, some of their older videos are completely unwatchable.