How To Use The New LPU

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Linkin Park have been redesigning the new Linkin Park Underground over the past months and Mike Shinoda has taken time to highlight some of the differences and changes happening with the LPU, and how they compare to the old system. Check out his blog post below.

"As many of you know, the LP Underground has been undergoing a lot of changes in the past few months. Recently, we moved some of the features over to a new online home, and many people (including myself!) have been wondering about the differences between using the old site vs. the new one at www.LPU.LinkinPark.com.

I did a little research, and I have some answers about how to best use the new LPU.

Firstly, this is the new LPU profile page. This is LP Underground’s official “identity,” where you can see all of LPU’s headlines. LPU HQ updates this page regularly, to let you know how to make the most of your membership–taking advantage of concert ticket presales, opportunities to meet me and the other guys, and new features we’re rolling out as part of the LPU.

If you’re a member of LinkinPark.com, then (besides being smart, good-looking, and talented) you can join the LPU group at this link below, to stay in touch with what’s going on with the LPU, and talk to other LPU members:
    http://www.linkinpark.com/group/lpundergroundmembers.

And lastly, this week, we’ll be putting the chat page back up–but with an improvement. Like the old one, the new page will have a text chat; but the new chat will also have a video window so the band can video chat with you. Band chats will be scheduled regularly, but expect us to drop by unannounced. (Side note: I’ve stopped video chatting on UStream, and I’ll be doing more private chats with LPU in the future, on the new chat page. I want to try it that way, because it’ll be a smaller group and less spamming going on).

I hope that helps; You’ll definitely get more out of your LPU membership by visiting the links above. And for anyone who hasn’t joined the Underground: if you want to take advantage of the pre-sale tickets, chatting with the band, and more, visit http://lpu.linkinpark.com/ to become a member.

Incidentally, LPU is not just for Linkin Park superfans; it’s an organization our band created to give Linkin Park listeners the best experience we can. We offer the best LP concert seats at great prices, never-before-heard music, incredible events where you can meet the band, and an online community where you can stay in touch with what’s going on in our world, among other things.

See you guys at the upcoming LP Underground Summit in Sydney…"

Source: MikeShinoda.com

thegame87

thegame87 Well-Known Member

So what did we pay the money for if anyone can access it?

Vdubster

Vdubster Member

Yes the same question from me?

Also the first link in the text above http://www.lpu.linkinpark.com/ i just get a 404: Not found error?

**Ok actually looks like you dont want the www. bit but still doesnt take to a paid for website as the the old LPU was. I must say if this is what the LPU is now i'm disappointed :-(**

J

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

It seems that the community aspect of the LPU is free, in that anyone can join the groups and read what's happening in the LPU, but in order to take advantage of the benefits such as the pre-sales, summits, chats etc, then you will have to join. That's what you're paying for.

It will be interesting to see how the new chat page works. Surely that will have to be LPU members only, so it must be integrated into the LPU site somehow in the coming week.

thegame87

thegame87 Well-Known Member

Kind of sucks in a way, I get what their doing, but it seemed like when the old site was up it was really worth it, from exclusive pictures, videos, music. Yeah we still get M&G's and chats. But it was always hard for me because I live in Australia the only thing I get once every 3 years is a M&G and Pre-Sale now. I don;t mind paying they deserve my money more than anyone else, but it seems less exclusive. We don't even get a special LPU shirt to day we are that dedicated!

Vdubster

Vdubster Member

Thanks but i have been a fan of LP for a long time and it's only been that last year that i have a been in the LPU and I've never had trouble getting tickets and this year when the first date of the London dates went on sale i got the as soon as i could. which was great only to then find out that a second date was added and then that the summit was added and the the first London date of the summit was a nothing day and complete waste of time of my LPU pre-sale ticket i couldn't afford a second day off work + travel to London + a summit ticket. That for me was what made my decide not to renew my LPU membership.

I wont add my feeling on the pre-sale on ATS because that makes it worse.

Sorry for the little rant, I'll still follow LP and buy there music but i really don't see the advantage of an LPU membership.

J

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Admittedly there's some stuff I simply don't agree with on the new LPU, but as I explained here there's many reasons why the LPU was changed like it was, and for the most part I'm highly supportive of the direction the fanclub is going in, mostly because I understand why things had to be changed. Sure there will be an adjustment period for all of us, but LPUX has already exceeded it's past iterations in many ways.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I'm so glad Mike will stop doing U-stream chats, there was just way too much spam on there. Video chats with band members sounds cool though. I didn't use the old LPU site much as I get all my news from LPA and LPL. I don't think I will use the new LPU site much either. I only joined LPUX because of the London Summit so personally I feel as though it was worth the 60$ for that alone so I've got no complaints. I'm in the minority here though but I fully understand why people are annoyed with the changes. All we can do is wait and see what kind of other EXCLUSIVES they offer us. If those offers don't benefit you then simply don't join.

MarcusArelius

MarcusArelius Well-Known Member

How? As far as I can tell the only thing LPUX has exceeded in is within its price. It has reduced it's fully functional page down to nothing more than a blog and stripped away all of the most important benefits to fans which in my mind are the merchandise that come bundled with the package. I would really like to hear how it has exceeded because maybe I'm missing something?

Derek

What other fanclub offers worldwide summits, special LPU events (release show/lazer show) pre-sales, meet and greets, and a CD full of guaranteed unreleased tracks for 60 dollars? Evanescence's fanclub was 40 dollars and was a complete joke. All you got was a t-shirt with a very amateur design, a 8x10 picture of Amy (not even signed) and a membership card that got you absolutely no discounts or access to anything.

And even worse, most bands don't even stop by and post in their own fanclubs or hold video chats like LP does. Without trying to sound disrespectful, nobody is forcing you to sign up for the full LPUX. You can easily do the 10 dollar a month plan, but with doing that you're going to spend 120 a year. LPU is giving you a full year for 60 (half off) and you're complaining.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

I was about to bitch about this but then I read your post. We have the best band in the world to love. Its really a bullseye for all of us. Yah chanzed mi mynd

MarcusArelius

All you are doing is comparing LPU to other fan clubs out there. I don't have a clue what other fan clubs are like as the only one I have been involved with for 10 years now is Linkin Park's. My question to you was "How?" after your statement was "Sure there will be an adjustment period for all of us, but LPUX has already exceeded it's past iterations in many ways." So we are comparing LPUX to past versions of the LPU. Not LPUX to Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber's fan club. And if you find what I'm saying to be "complaining", I'm only complaining based on the obvious facts that the membership prices have doubled and the apparent benefits of the club have been drastically reduced. No merchandise, no fully functioning website, and no actual place to log in with username and password in order to obtain information and news about LP that was of an (Underground) nature.

Vdubster

Vdubster Member

Worldwide summits on added tour dates (london) and still charging extra to attend? Most of the LPU events are US based i'm sorry but what about the rest of us? even the latest free shipping offer was US only as was the chance to by flown out to a show? Pre-sales and exclusive first play yeah i heard "The Catalyst" on the radio before i got my "exclusive before anyone else download", Meet and greet that are limit to a small number of people, and the summit in london stopped that but the first day had a football tournament and nothing else.

Your right if i'm not happy i wont re-join

J

Derek

I understand the new price isn't for everyone. In today's economic climate it's impossible for everyone to shell out 60.00 for a fan club, and I respect that. However; as my post I linked to had mentioned, it was becoming very cost prohibitive to run LPU in the way it was run prior to this year. So many people are under the impression that LPU makes a lot of money, and that by charging 60.00 a month and removing some of the benefits that were there originally, that the fans are getting taken advantage of or overcharged, this is not true. Things are more expensive now then they were 10 years ago and operational costs for LPU were starting to become above what the actual fanclub was generating. While it was nothing for the band to offer the HTEP, shirt, and other items back in 2001, a decline in memberships over the last 10 years, plus the advent of new technology made it difficult to use the same business model that the band did all those years ago.

Think of it from the band's point of view instead of yours for a moment: In the past the membership costs were done solely to cover the cost of producing the items/shipping them and sending them to you, the consumer. LPU was operated at very little profit and even though the band continued to offer the same great things ever year, memberships as a whole continued to decline meaning that LPU wasn't bringing in enough revenue to justify the costs of operation or producing the items to mail to you. Not to mention that anything "exclusive" was leaked within 24 hours of it being released to the public, putting the concept of offering a full CD automatically in question because not as many people were signing up for LPU anymore. They were just downloading the CD. So a change had to be made. And rather than stop giving the fans a CD, the LPU decided to eliminate the packages entirely and instead focus on offering the CD and 'experiences'/unique opportunities that cannot be found outside of the LPU or anywhere else.

The increased cost is for the LPU to afford to be able to offer you these opportunities, while continuing to run cost efficiently. When LP did the LPU tour in 2003, they paid completely out of pocket and lost hundreds if not thousands of dollars. To expect the band to do that for every special event they have planned (while keeping the LPU at a cost that LOSES money) is unreasonable, and this was the only option. Either that or the LPU doesn't exist anymore/goes to online-only with no CD and no special opportunities. If you ask me, I'd prefer a fanclub with special opportunities/a CD for more money than a naked one for less.

MarcusArelius

Didn't realize all that Derek so thanks for clarifying. I guess it's just hard to grasp that technically speaking to be a member of the LPU going forward I must pay more for less. I have done that but it's still something I'm going to have to get used to. I'm still hoping that a more official annoucnement will be made about the fan club, its offerings, and the reason for the change. I would have thought we would have received an email by now.

Derek

Well this is also the first year of this new model. Its entirely possible that after they work out the kinks from LPUX that LPU11 will be the bomb.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Derek kinda explained this to me awhile ago on AIM, so I have an understanding as to why these changes are happening with the LPU.

The way Mike explained it though is still kinda confusing, but in his defense, I just woke up :lol:

The main thing I see promising right now is the chatroom, which is, in reality, the only thing I did on the LPU to begin with (real time > posting [imo, though both have their perks]) And the Summits seem to be awesome the way Ree described it when she went, so maybe they will do an East Coast and a West Coast Summit during the upcoming US tours, so that I can possibly check it out, if I get the chance.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

The CD is extra. So is any other bit of merch that might appear that you would have gotten for a fraction of the price before. And the CD isn't always unreleased tracks.

This is aside from the fact that many people will not be able to attend the summits (due to money &/or geography), so they're being charged for something they can't get.

So now it's $60 for membership, $10 for the CD and, depending on where you live, up to $25 for shipping & handling. $95 all up just for a CD if you aren't already a member and can't attend summits.

And then there's the terrible handling of the entire situation. It's been a total shambles.

And then there's NING!

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNGG!!!
    *dramatically shakes fist at sky*

My computer is constantly being attacked when I'm there.

Metclub (Metallica) is $60 anual for international membership ($45 for US residents) which includes shipping & handling.
    That comes with a package (Tshirt, welccome letter, signed photo & maybe a keychain or guitar pick) + 4 issues of "So What!" the Club magazine (which is always quality), which are sent out roughly quarterly.
    That's 5 items, each mailed seperately, for $60. Along with the usual presales, M&G oppertunities, international contests, exclusive website/forum, and other oppertunities like winning a pass to their HQ for a barbeque listening party (free) or to tour rehearsals (free) or a surprise gig in the basement of a record store for 50 people (free).

Not to mention it's so professionally run. They actually communicate with the Clubbers & answer your questions in a timely fashion.

Metclub also abrely breaks even when it's not at a loss, but the band keep it open for the fans.

LP doesn't do that either. Mike only very rarely posted in the LPU forums and his video chats have been on ustream, open to anyone. The others didn't bother at all.
    Sure, they say they'll be doing this for LPUX, but until it actually happens...

Look, I love the band, my respect for them shot up after ATS was released, but as it stands the LPU is a mess.

Derek

I really don't know what more to say, because what works amazingly well for one person, won't have any kind of effect on another person so it's safe to assume this thread will keep going in circles no matter what explanations are given.

Majorfort

Majorfort Active Member

I give you one band that offer for the same prize more things than LPUX
    The metclub by metallica.
    Check it out here

You get for International 60$ following things:

-Printed Autographed Band Photo
    -So What! 4 issues per year their offical magazin
    -T-Shirt
    -A Fan Can a limited edition collector's item containing a CD, a video, a rare t-shirt, and a trinket all packaged in a custom paint can.
    (I'm not sure if you need to buy it at the merch but)
    -Meet and greet (more personal becuz less I think about 30 fans per show) look here

I mean bring me a good reason to renew (lpu member since 2.0)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.