Interludes; finally pissing me off.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Polychromatic, Nov 1, 2010.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

In terms of the interludes being simplistic musically, 20/20 hindsight is easier than 20/20 foresight. It's easy to make interludes that sound like that now that they've been made and you have a model to go by. If you had never heard them, you wouldn't be able to say you could quickly recreate them. :" The band came up with those interludes from scratch, just like pretty much all the music they make.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Yeah, criticising them because you could apparently recreate them without much technical effort is kind of asinine and missing the point, just like when people were saying similar things about the album cover. There's this thing, it's called the thought process.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Ha! You're right it does.

Jake

Jake Give me reason

Damn! I didn't notice that.
    You're right! :D

I'm pumped to have heard this..it's been over a month since album release! Can't believe it XD

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

So Dr. Octogonapus, should they take some submarine echoes from Robot Boy and make a 15 second interlude before it called "Oceanic" or some cool title, and since it is in another song it has an excuse to be there? Really.

Also; thought process? They were laughing when they took 5 minutes out of their time to make Empty Spaces.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

If its so easy then make 6 interludes yourself, then 9 songs.
    If any of them are close to what Linkin park created then i applaus, if not you're just a brink :D

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

I hate when people say "stop complaining, how about you make it?". Like seriously is that the best we can come up with. For those who know me I love every second of this album, interludes included. I just thought it was a little unnecessary to have so many interludes. It just hit me that the journey of ATS is just stretched out too much with tracks like "The Radiance" and "Fallout". "Empty Spaces" breezes by thankfully but it dosen't deserve to be there.

And I actually am making an album right now, but I'm not trying to recreate A Thousand Suns.

Also, whoever said it's easy for me to recreate interludes because I am missing the thought process, that's not true. On the album I am working on I came up with several intros before deciding on a long one. WW2 propaganda music and singing, a cybernetic scary instrumental, a swamp like intro with swamp ambience and brass, so please, it's not that hard, even if you are trying to work them in context with the album.

"we need more crickets?" "yeah it happens to fast"

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Which is exactly what I implied.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

You are the one who said you can make the tracks in 2 hours.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I personally don't understand the hate for Empty spaces (SERIOUSLY, haha). If you take it out and have WTCFM immediately followed by BITS, it would sound awkward. ES sets the mood for the next track. With that said, the band could have just merged the two tracks, making WTCFM 18 seconds longer. It is a bit silly that they made it a second track (witch by the way will cost you 1.29 on itunes lol).

And just to be clear, I don't agree with what Nick has been saying after my post, lol. It doesn't matter if some of the interludes maybe are easy to make (which I also question) but rather it's annoying that there's only 9 full songs.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I can see what you guys mean now about the Empty Spaces being a bridge....
    Still, Jornada kicks ass.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

First of all Empty Spaces should be attached to Burning In The Skies, since it ends with crickets. Secondly, Jornada does kick ass.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

This thread is ridiculous.

Benjamin

Jornada is the only interlude that DOES stretch too long which is the essence of why you made this thread. So I don't get what you're complaining about.

And I stand by what I said. If you put ES at the end of BITS, listeners would be confused if they individually bought that song and herd random chipring at the end.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

But the cutoff of Empty Spaces/When They Come For Me is too random and fast as well. They should have faded it out or something. And Jornada is my favorite interlude, do you want real stretching? Try Fallout. Serves no purpose.

Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

Empty Spaces and Fallout are pointless fillers, the rest are necessary to the concept of the album.

Benjamin

Now it is...

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Total non-issue for me. Pretty much all of my favourite albums have between 8-10 songs.
    And then there's Tool's "10,000 Days" that has 7 actual songs out of 11 tracks, and Opeth's "Watershed" that has 7 songs total. Both fantastic records, number of tracks doesn't bother me as long as it's good.

What I don't get is the attachment to the "12 game" :lol:.

Have they mentioned exactly how many songs they worked on? I mean just because 9 made the album doesn't mean that's all they wrote. It just means those are the songs they think work the best together.

As it stands, ATS is just right IMO, the inclusion of more songs is unecessary and could very well make it feel bloated and unfocused.

Benjamin

You brought up some good points there...but idk. With interludes, you can make virtually anything blend together. But I digress. I'm happy that we'll get bsides soon enough.

Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN
    Just listen to the 9 songs then without the interludes, easy resolution. They didn't have to use interludes, but they did so they can bridge the album together as a whole. Sheesh