Death...

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by hawk, Jul 4, 2010.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Because it has absolutely nothing to do with logic. It's based solely on beliefs, which humans are known to be ridiculous about.

Switchback

Switchback Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well, I'd say it's illogical to say there was nothing, and then now everything. And logical to believe there is a creator.

travz21

You can't base logic off of something that isn't proven to be real.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

But if you think it makes more sense to believe in a creator, who created the creator? Who created the creator's creator? In that respect it's no more logical than thinking things just happened.

Switchback

God hasn't been disproven, however. There is strong evidence to say there is a creator.

God, by definition, is uncreated. When you ask the question "who created God?" You're not longer referring to God.

Dean

There isn't. And God doesn't need to be disproven because there's no evidence in the first place.

So how is that more logical than something that's actually tangible? If you believe in God fine, but I don't see how that is more logical.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Switchback

Just from the balance of nature and existence, it would be reasonable to believe in a creator. Everything has unique properties (the earth being a set distance away from the sun, etc), if even one minor thing was different, our existence would not be.

I don't understand what you mean from your second comment.
    Every created thing has a creator.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

I can't honestly say because I seem to change my mind and ideas so often.

I believe the universe is a circle of energy and that when we die, our engery is converted into something somewhere else on the planet. In some sense, I believe in reincarnation but it's a little more scientific than that to me.

I'm pagan so I do believe in an "afterlife" but I've put my own spin on things, I suppose.

Like I said, I don't know. No one does. No reason to waste time that should be spent living thinking about dying. It is what it is and whatever happens happens. I can't stop it either way.

travz21

You can't disprove a negative. You can use that argument for anything. You can't prove that I can't crap gold after I eat a fairy from Venus. See?

Switchback

Well, in simple terms, a Creator, to all of this is more logical than nothing, to all of this.

Yes, true. Although, if the materials you mentioned were provided and you were asked to carry the act out, that may be a test for it.
    But, I mean, science is eliminating false models of God, not God.

Oh, and I'm not here to persuade, or force anyone. Merely putting my input. I don't mind the discussion/s, however.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Saying that god exists because it's yet to be disproven is like saying bigfoot exists because it's yet to be disproven. You can't prove a negative.

Switchback

Oh. I didn't mean that was my sole reason for belief. I guess I worded things incorrectly.

travz21

And if God was provided to us, I'm sure there may a couple tests for him/her/it. The incredible likelihood is that we are never going to be provided with either, making both situations equal in the eyes of science.

And I don't think anybody is here to persuade anybody. Discussion is great.

Switchback

Not earthly ones. God is above His creation, after all.

There's strong evidence in religious scriptures, though.

Dean

That's just your interpretation, though.
    The universe is... big. And random. Enough so that we could just as well exist by coincidence and that the conditions that facilitate that do as well, and that the same goes on other planets out there. There's nothing that inherently implies a creator.

Well, that's it. We weren't necessarily created. Whether or not you believe in God really does come down to faith - there's no evidence against but there's no scientific evidence for in the first place, and there are plenty of philosophical and logical arguments against as well... whereas there is tangible evidence that the universe exists. Believing in God isn't necessarily wrong but it isn't more logical either.

Switchback

So, you're saying your life is an accident?

What's your definition of God, by the way?
    To say there isn't a God, you should have a meaning of what you're rejecting.

travz21

As a person who is atheist, I almost feel insulted when people ask me this. To even have to describe myself as atheist makes me mad. Like if you believers hadn't gone out of your way to try and create something that isn't there, the rest of us could just live life like it actually is (a coincidence) without having to be subjected to religious nonsense. There is nothing to believe in, well, because there just isn't a need to. You guys created this genre for humans that is totally unnecessary. The only reason it came into existence is because humans are curious beings and want everything to be clear cut. When it couldn't be, they needed to do something to fill the void. What would have happened if people had just kept on living their lives without making up a higher power?

To be asked why we don't believe is like asking why we never gave thought to something that has no bearing on real life. We can't see it, smell it, taste it, hear it, or feel it. Nothing. How would normal people answer a question like that? They'd be like, "What are you talking about? How did you even think of that?"

Which brings me back to my point of going out of your way. It's not possible to think of something like that unless you go out of your way to do so. Whether it be ghosts, monsters, or God. So that's what I feel like I have to do when people talk about religion. I feel like I'm going totally out of my way. It shouldn't even be a topic to talk about. It's just a thing that corrupts humans and has really brought no benefit to the world. Humans making up ghosts and monsters has been far less damaging.

Switchback

Why? It's a genuine question. Perhaps you're rejecting a false view of God, anyway.
    And, you sound a little bitter in your post. You don't have to discuss, if you don't wish to. I thought you wanted to, as you were responding.

As for your final paragraph, you seem to have issues with people, not faith.

travz21

I'm not bitter. Religion just annoys me when I get on a rant lol.

I don't really know what else you're asking me.

20. Switchback

Well, you didn't really answer, but what is your concept of God?
    Although, if you don't want to, that's fine.