Death...

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by hawk, Jul 4, 2010.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I guess a way to think about death is comparing it to pre-birth. Before we were born, we had no recollection of what was going on. We weren't in pain or joy. We weren't anything. The same will happen when we die. We will just no longer be.

It's much more interesting to think about the Big Bang and what happened before it.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Big. Fucking. Bang.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I switch back and forth between believing in an afterlife and simply not existing anymore. With the afterlife, I feel like it'd be all dream like...blurry and distant like you're hearing everything muffled. That'd suck forever, wouldn't it? So I end up back to not existing anymore where everything just goes black, yet somehow, you're aware there's nothing. Well that sucks, too. So back to afterlife and so on.

travz21

You'd have no brain. There'd be nothing to be aware of.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

After watching a few seasons of Supernatural, I see nothing but a few things when it comes to death.

1) Dealing with the Devil - To avoid having to die at all.
    2) The Yellow Eyed Demon - Scary as fuck and probably would kill me if it was real.
    3) Highway to Hell - Being played at my funeral.
    4) Ghosts/some other whacked up lore - I swore after one episode I didn't want to be in the dark alone anymore.

But after dealing with death for 4 minutes, after child birth, I think I appreciate life so much better.

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

I see no point in dwelling on a discussion about something I'll never know or understand until I'm dead....and even then, I probably won't know or understand it.

hawk

The thing is, what happens if there is heaven and hell? Like, seriously.
    The way Christians describe hell, scares the shit out of me.

aki*lp

aki*lp LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It'd be interesting that everyone has a different heaven or hell, according to what they believed in.

hawk

I USED to think that you'd go into a state of mind and you would imagine this "heaven", then I found out your brain can't live after you die.

Switchback

Switchback Well-Known Member

Your soul is returned to you in the grave. You'll be made to sit up and answer three/four questions.

A believer will be approached by two Angels with white faces, like the sun.
    A disbeliever will be approached by two Angels with dark faces.
    The Angels will sit as far as the eye can see.

You're then asked the questions:
    Who is your Lord?
    What is your religion?
    Who was the man sent amongst you (Prophet)?
    What did you do?

If you answer correctly, your place in Paradise will be readied. As you wait, your grave will be widened and filled with light.
    Then you'll be shown Hell, with the knowledge that you will not be going there.
    Then, every morning and evening you'll be shown Paradise. In anticipation, you'll continually ask when will the Hour come?

If you answer incorrectly, you'll be struck on the head with iron with the force that could shatter a mountain. Hell will then be readied for you. Your grave will be constricted and floor of it will be set alight with some of the fire from hell.
    A being (your evil deeds) will approach you and tell you that this is the place you have been promised.
    You'll then be shown Paradise, so that you'll feel bitter remorse. Then you'll be shown Hell and know that's where you will be when the Hour comes. And you will constantly plead for the Hour not to be established.

That's what takes place in the grave until Resurrection.

travz21

Are you serious?

Christians scare the shit out of me. Like 99% of religious people do. I just don't understand how people can be that insecure that they have to follow something so illogical as a god that has never existed and will never exist. There's no difference between believing in God or believing in Zeus. Or believing in some mythical creature like a dragon that rules the universe. The fact that more people believe in God (which has equal proof of existence to the other options I gave; no proof), doesn't make it any more likely that it's real.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    Switchback

Yes.

So, you're saying from nothing to everything is more logical than a creator to everything?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    travz21

We don't know if there was nothing before the big bang. It's very possible something has always existed in which our universe spawned from. But yes. Since a creator isn't logical at all, the former option is more logical.

Switchback

A creator isn't logical to you? Why so?

Gloomy Mushroom

You know what I saw when I was dead for four minutes? I was sitting in a field of wheat, cross legged, bright light above me, listening to my dad who was sitting on a chair reading me a fairytale book.

That intrigued me. To all the things I could've seen.

Switchback

Is that a particular fond memory of yours?

Gloomy Mushroom

No, but it's not something I would forget either. Dying after childbirth doesn't really sit well with me given the technology we have, but the vision I had, has always been there in the back of mind. I remember it because I woke up, and I freaked out completely only to be told a few days later that I had actually died for a four minutes.

Switchback

Hmm. Well, since you're (thankfully) still alive, the "death" that you experienced wasn't a true death. It wasn't your time. However, the experience allowed you to value your life more. Perhaps you were in a state of limbo, of some sort.

What do you believe will happen beyond that? Or are you not sure?

Gloomy Mushroom

I just remember being told from my sister, that I was officially pronounced dead for four minutes. And I'm still wondering what the fuck this vision meant, I mean, I'm not a Daddy's girl, I've always had problems getting along with my dad. I think, and I repeat, I THINK, I might've 'stayed' because I wanted to be alive for my daughter who I had only seen for five minutes before blacking out (due to excessive blood loss).

If I had died, I would've not been able to move on to the 'other-side' given the circumstances.

Switchback

Our death is written before we're born.
    I can't really say what your visions meant, I can only speculate. But, I feel that the experience gave you the strength and understanding to be a wonderful mother to your daughter and appreciate your life.